Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4drake9 View Post
    Could anyone help me out and draw a rough line maybe a screen shot from google earth of which trails + direction you take entering from Kariboo? Thanks guys
    Hi mate,

With the amount of trails that cross each other and many that are difficult to find it may be easier hooking up with someone than trying to follow a map!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Southside in the Gorge

I get out there most weekends, and now the days are getting longer, after work occasionally too.

Text me to arrange a guided ride.

0412 715 053

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Likewise - feel free to PM me if you're up for a ride in the arvo some day - I'm not usually free on the weekends that's all.

I'm looking forward to daylight savings...and maybe the river will drop just a couple more inches...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Daylight

Yep. Seriously looking forward to later sunsets. Already been home early enough twice to get out for quick blasts over the past two weeks, and the weather just keeps getting warmer. Now, to sort out some lights...

carbon classic
    Jul 2011

Plenty Gorge trail conditions

Hi Guys,

Good to see a thread on Plenty Gorge.

Used to ride my old Giant carbon hardtail there in the early to mid 90's. (It's been a while...)

I was thinking of getting back there to ride some of the old tracks and was wondering what the trails are like now? There used to be lots of great fast flowing single track - North of Plenty river.

What's the best way to cross the river nowdays to get from the South to the North side? We used to rock hop at a narrow/shallower section and try to stay out of the drink - (didn't always work out that way).

Hoping some of you regular local riders could give me an update on the old stomping ground.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OnAnySunday View Post
    I was thinking of getting back there to ride some of the old tracks and was wondering what the trails are like now? There used to be lots of great fast flowing single track - North of Plenty river.

What's the best way to cross the river nowdays to get from the South to the North side? We used to rock hop at a narrow/shallower section and try to stay out of the drink - (didn't always work out that way).
    There's a 5 km loop you won't have seen on the south side.

Stuff on the north side now makes a big loop, though in recent months the more technical parts of it have been shortcut and thus overgrown as people only seem to like riding easy stuff.

The young 'uns keep making, abandoning and then remaking little jumps, huts and other structures here and there, especially near Kariboo.

All crossings are flooded this year. The standard one is the shallowest.

You're best to hook up with someone if you want to find everything quickly. Most tracks are marked only minimally and all flagging tape anyone leaves on track entrances is removed. Motos are always a problem but most tracks are these days unaffected.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the update Cowpat.

For a decent ride, would you suggest North or South of the river now?

And with the river levels up, how are you doing the cross over? Are you heading out to Plenty Road and cutting back in, or is there a better/quicker way.

Wouldn't mind heading out that way again some time in the next month or so.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    North side has steeper terrain and more track, plus you can loop out to Blue Lake if you want to add a few km.

South side is more accessible for most and as a result the track is more established.

I'm accepting my lack of fitness and not crossing, doing two loops southside instead if it's not too cold. The bridge at Booyan then the bike path/short cut/road to the Mackelroy entrance avoids getting your feet wet. I don't know how far it is but there's not much more than a km of bitumen involved.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Ahh... Blue Lake. That brings back some memories. Last I heard, the land around Blue Lake was fenced off - restricted access.

Re: crossing the river - It would be great if Parks Victoria or whoever is responsible for the land had put in a cross over bridge, somewhere along there. Thought that may have been done by now.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OnAnySunday View Post
    Re: crossing the river - It would be great if Parks Victoria or whoever is responsible for the land had put in a cross over bridge, somewhere along there. Thought that may have been done by now.
    That'll never happen. These days to limit risk it'd have to be a single span bridge and would cost a fortune, and hardly anyone uses the area.

There was a grand plan ten years ago to make a pedestrian bridge out of the pipe bridge and establish visitor facilities and walking/bike paths too but that that doesn't seem to have amounted to anything other than money for the consultants involved in drawing up this plan.

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpat View Post
    That'll never happen. hardly anyone uses the area.

There was a grand plan ten years ago to make a pedestrian bridge out of the pipe bridge and establish visitor facilities and walking/bike paths too but that that doesn't seem to have amounted to anything other than money for the consultants involved in drawing up this plan.
    Great bushland to enjoy and hardly anyone uses the area. Funny about that.

It's interesting that 15 - 20 years ago it was a bit of a hidden treasure and still seems to be the same way today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Vandals on the North Side

There's been some trailbuilding activity the last few months on the north side (not me).

The existing loop is slowly being turned into a mesh with useless little tracks added to shortcut sections and large sections bypassed or ignored - generally anything technically interesting, imho - like the narrow traverse and the big dipper. Or maybe it's just that whoever is building trails there hasn't taken the trouble to locate the existing ones; they could do with a bit of raking after all the recent growth. All the same I don't like to see the once-vague tracks lined with logs etc. clear as day for all to see, including the motos.

Accepting that change is inevitable I've let it be, but it's getting to be too much.

Here are some examples of the work of these vandals - note the live trees cut at thigh height to mark the tracks and the gratuitous overuse of weedkiller:

I guess "Josh" is responsible, perhaps he is of the opinion that he has created these tracks that have been in use for some years now:

And this is just straight-out vandalism. Cutting the middle post at the entrance so you can ride your bike through easier?

The rangers can hardly not have noticed now that it has got to that:

Just my little rant - I'm frikken angry at these morons but they're probably some underage kids who have no idea about anything.

mtbr member
    Just got back from a couple of laps of the south side.

Actually thought about riding the north but with the river obviously un-crossable after last night's storms and not really feeling like riding right around, I stayed south. Shared the trail with only a few kangeroos and a very friendly and brave echidna! Unfortunately, I don't think this sort of thing will last much longer with an increasing level of disregard for the area - trail damage, motos, rubbish being brought in and left, blatant vandalism, damage/killing of live trees (?!?!) etc.

There are parts of the south side of the park that I dislike due to the damage/rubbish, which is why I enjoy the north side a lot more. It now looks as though it might be heading down the same path.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sad to see it's come to this. I haven't been over there at all since I fell off and chopped up my leg coming down one of the steep moto ruts - which I think was further out than all this 'new' stuff anyway. It's not the sort of attention we want as mountain bikers. Probably couldn't hurt to start actively promoting responsible trail manners at our local bike shops, rotorburn, etc.
    I have heard from other locals that the trails are named for the kids whose Dad is doing most of the building for them - but I don't know how true this might be - I haven't met the builder/s myself. Hopefully the Ranger will sort them out before they ruin it for all of us.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jossa View Post
    There are parts of the south side of the park that I dislike due to the damage/rubbish, which is why I enjoy the north side a lot more. It now looks as though it might be heading down the same path.
    No damage or rubbish on the south loop I hope, except for the dumped car parts?

Fingers crossed this "dad" doesn't venture down south. If I find him there he'll get a lecture on ethics and trail relations he won't forget in a hurry (if he's even capable of understanding simple concepts that is).

Take care Emerson, will be in touch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    No significant rubbish on southside other than the car parts. Couple of plastic cups and such like, which I suspect have blown over from the newest house constructions, and which I should collect in a bag soon.
    The little gully crossing with our pile of rocks needs some attention, but other than that it all seems to be holding up well. I haven't been over there much of late, but did a quick southern loop last weekend. Will give you a buzz next time!

fan of maple syrup
    That's a sorry state of affairs. So much potential out at the gorge. One too many arse-hats to ruin it.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I've never ridden there, but even so this situation really annoys me.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That's a real shame. I guess some people have no idea.

What's really crap is that all the years you've been in there building tracks (and some great tracks too, with some good technical challenges) and never doing anything that would annoy the rangers but now the whole area is probably going to be under close scrutiny.

Do you ever see many other people riding out there? I know there must be some kids that ride there as they make all those dirt jumps and 'sick' dh tracks. I wonder if you or anyone has seen these people out there before.

Maybe try posting this in rotorburn, seems like more young punks hang out there but then it may only just attract more people to the place.

Anyway hope your well mate. Let's catch up for a ride sometime it's been ages.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Actually I was chatting to Ross and said the same thing was happening at Smiths Gully.

People were just cutting new tracks through private land, putting in wood work.

Apparently with the delicate situation with the council these new rouge track builders were really setting things back.

I'm sure these is an existing etiquette about this sort of thing I know in climbing once someone has established a route you can't go and modify the route (even if it's putting in bolts for more protection). I guess things are a bit more vague in mtb and there isn't guide books showing who created the track.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yep some "bolts" might get "chopped" out at the gorge.

Sounds like trouble brewin' at the Yarra Trails too : Yarra Trails regulars - Page 118

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Given Victoria's love of cycling (well, compared to everywhere in Australia except Canberra), I am astonished - even dismayed - that there is no apparent organisation looking after these issues on behalf of MTB users. I agree that it's a very vague area, and I am sorely tempted to get off my political behind and get something started, or reinvigorated, or coordinated - or whatever it might take to get a remotely coherent voice and action plan into place.

I come from a history of riding my bike on trails that have, traditionally, been predominantly not for bikes - singletrack is the best, and very few areas have bespoke trails for the purpose - but as I grow older I realise why it's so important to abide by 'the rules'. You Yangs is a great example of how it can work, done properly - but perhaps its remoteness is a big part of what keeps it manageable. We have to start facing these challenges, rather than continually putting them off or ignoring them outright.

Look at what's happening with the Menai area in Sydney's south right now:
    OK, I can't post links yet - apparently I haven't posted enough in this forum yet. Go to facebook and look up Menai-MTB-Park-proposal. In any case, it's the same old story.

I am going to start by trying to get all the disparate groups I associate with to start talking to each other - even competing bike shops have this interest in common!

mtbr member
    Doing a couple of loops of the south Saturday morning before the rain. If river is crossable may head across to the north.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Time?

mtbr member
    PM sent

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast