mtbr member

Any riders with child seats?

My boy turned 9 months last week so he is getting close to being able to ride in a child seat. Im starting the research now so I thought id ask here if anyone can recommend one. Im undecided on weather a seat on the back or in front of the rider is better.

If anyone has got any thoughts id love to hear them.

Thanks,
    Ben

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've got both the wee ride and the hamax siesta which I ordered from Wiggle.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ha...at/5360023411/

They're even cheaper now with the strong dollar.

I found the wee ride to be crap. Too hard to pedal and only suitable for very young children. Maybe it's body shape dependent - e.g. you are very tall and/or have long arm's. Pedalling is affected as you need to bow your legs out.

I love the Siesta though. Bought it mainly because all other seats needed pannier/rack eyleets and none of my bikes had these. It's easy to install and remove. You do leave the heavy mount on your bike though - although it also can be removed.

Only downside as with all child seats at the rear is that it does affect the handling - bit wobbly when out of the saddle.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Have a Topeak Baby Seat and it's brilliant. I agree with korgi111 the front seats are pretty awkward as the child gets older but my daughter is a bit over 2.5 years old and she is still just in her seat. It's rated to 18kg and she is about 17.5kg and getting pretty tall so she is gonna have to leave it soon but it's served me for over 1.5 years.

Somehow my answer turned into a maths equation.

dude with orange car
    I never have come up with a solution I'm totally happy with.

I frequently use a Wee Ride (front mount). I like the placement of the mass in the center, and that on my FS bike my son gets a pretty cushy ride compared to other bike seat placements. I do have to bow my legs out a bit while I pedal and I use a gravity dropper. There is no space between my seat and the child seat to allow me to straddle the top tube while halted. Gravity Dropper allows me to have the seat high enough for good pedaling position and lower it so I can put a foot down at red lights. Since my son is right in front of me, I can see where he's pointing and hear what he says better and there is more interaction while riding. Tried a different front-mount model (it was green, don't remember the name) but it just didn't work with my bike.

I've also ridden with a seat on the back of a tandem. The seat is right over the rear axle so the ride is a lot rougher - I wasn't comfortable riding dirt roads with my young son on the back, whereas I was comfortable riding dirt roads with the Wee-Ride. On a tandem the non-centered mass isn't such a problem, but I bet it's more noticeable on a single bike. There is also less conversation between me and my son when he's behind me than when he's in front.

Neither seat offers as much protection as I'd like in the event of a crash. I'm really careful when carrying a kid, but you never know.

You may want to consider a trailer as well, especially if you think you'll have two kids close in age. Roll cage protection, works with just about any bike, some have rudimentary suspension to smooth stuff out a little, some fit two children. Drawbacks: hard to communicate with the little ones back there, wider track if you're riding roads, and the trailer is low and harder for cars to see.

(Edit: Hah! Didn't realize I was in the Australia/NZ section. See what happens when I click on the "new posts" button?)
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Plim
    You may want to consider a trailer as well, especially if you think you'll have two kids close in age. Roll cage protection, works with just about any bike, some have rudimentary suspension to smooth stuff out a little, some fit two children. Drawbacks: hard to communicate with the little ones back there, wider track if you're riding roads, and the trailer is low and harder for cars to see.
    Thanks for the write up cos I have been looking into the trailer option now we have a second on the way.

Albany West Oz
    I guess I don't really ride that far with my Wee-Ride, but I would not go back to a rear seat. Having the kid up front for my cruisy rides around town or along the beach is so much more fun.

Flat pedals work better as the angle of your legs make cleats not quite sit right.

Still +1 Wee Ride, use it on my Rush and Fatbike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Freediver
    I guess I don't really ride that far with my Wee-Ride, but I would not go back to a rear seat. Having the kid up front for my cruisy rides around town or along the beach is so much more fun.

Flat pedals work better as the angle of your legs make cleats not quite sit right.

Still +1 Wee Ride, use it on my Rush and Fatbike.
    Agree with the sentiment and more fun with the kids in front of you.

I just found that it didn't work with my bike/body/kids. My son's head kept on hitting my chest. Maybe my arm's are too short.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips guys. A few things to think about there. A mate of mine has the Wee-Ride, I might have to see if I can have a go with it to see what it feels like.

mtbr member
    Hi,
    I actually use a backpack for carrying my kids, My youngest is 3 now and still carry her in it, mind she is getting bigger so not sure how much longer, but it's good to get the whole family out riding the trails
    The other two ride their own bikes. On my second packpack!
    South West Mountain Bike Club
    www.swmtbc.asn.au

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I've used an iBert Safe-T-Seat with my daughter for about 2 years now. She's on the verge of getting too heavy for it but it has been brilliant.

There is a great video review of it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fli3LjtVjcs

Since it clamps ONLY around the steerer tube, it will work on ANY bike as long as it has about 1" of steerer available. It sits in the "cavity" of your arms/chest area so as long as your bike is the right size for you, you won't hit your legs on the seat.

Some people are freaked by the idea of having it pivot with the steering, thinking that it will slow down the steering to a dangerous degree. In my extensive use of the iBert, I've found it only has a very marginal effect on handling.

I've ridden off-road with it up and down hills and even many laps of the local BMX track (no jumps though).

My only regret with the iBert? I won't be able to take my daughter riding with me for much longer.

Recommended 100%.

what a joke
    I used the front mounted seat for both my kids. They loved it. It fits on my rigid SS better them my dually . I think these type of seats work better for taller riders as there is more room between your chest and bars to fit a child in there. My wife found it very awkward at 5'8 compared to me at 6'5".

My daughter is about to loose her training wheels in the next few weeks so family rides will be even more enjoyable.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    Well Harper turned 1 today so I thought I would share which way I ended up going in case someone else has the same question.

I ended up going with the i-bert. Main reason was that I really wanted a front mounted seat and I liked this one more than the Wee-ride. It simply clamps to the stem with 2 bolts so it is very easy to take on and off. I just took it off again so I can go for a ride tomorrow morning and it took about 3 minutes in total so im happy with that. I saw Hud the other day and he asked if the steering would be very heavy and funny enough its not. Ive only ridden up the lane and back so far but the steering is much better than I expected, the U-turns I did in the lane were not a problem. The only downside is that there isnt as much leg room as I expected. The bike that I am using it on isnt very long so I have to widen my legs a little, but time will tell if it is uncomfortable or not.

mtbr member
    Great pics Ben! Harper looks happy up there
    What is the helmet? Friends are looking for a toddler helmet with little luck..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsH
    Great pics Ben! Harper looks happy up there
    What is the helmet? Friends are looking for a toddler helmet with little luck..
    It is a Giro Livestrong, you know, the Lance Armstrong thing. We didnt want one with cartoon pictures all over it. it one is a little bit larger than those ones as well so it might be a good fit, a bit more pricey though.