mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Smile Anaconda Adventure Race

So the first Gold Coast Anaconda Adventure Race was on last weekend. (linky: http://www.anacondaadventurerace.com )

The format is:
    1.9 k ocean swim
    14 k paddle
    12 k x-country run
    17 k mountain bike
    2 k beach run

You could do it on your lonesome or in a team. I did it in a team and took on the mountain bike leg as part of my pre-epic preparation.

The course started in a field which was shared with some horses, a short ride (made longer by a wrong turn) and a and I hit the bitumen for a short flat warm up followed by a long steep climb. Granny gear and lots of spinning saw my heart rate through the roof but passing a number of other entrants who elected to push/carry their bikes up the hill and a couple of other slower riders.

The hardest part of the ride out of the way and it was time to go off road again. This was a fair mix of single trail and fire trails which runs along the QLD and NSW boarder. There was a good mix of terrain on offer, dusty climbs, washed out and rocky down hills, and undulating sections where you could cruise along at decent speed. Towards the end there was a technical downhill single trail which provided a bit of a challenge but I prevailed!!! There were 4 hills which were hike-a-bike sections.

Early in the piece my calf cramped like a mofo but I soldiered on, at some point my saddle pack came unzipped and I lost a repair kit and chain quicklink which I had purchased 3 days before and at the last I took another wrong turn and found myself at the bottom of the last unclimbable hill again.

In the end my 17 k ride turned out to be 19 k, I was a bit pissed off that the organizers didnt have a better marked track or people to show the way but I guess that is all part of the adventure.

All in all the ride was fun and left me wishing it was longer, the event was cool.
    I would do it again and would recommend it to anyone who can convince a few mates to do some of the other legs.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like a cool event. It's a shame the track wasn't marked a little better though by the sounds of things. Let them know about it, and I’m sure it will be fixed next time around.

Dave.