Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 26" rigid fork

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

26" rigid fork

Can anyone recommend a rigid fork for my commuter/all purpose bike? It spends most of its time on sealed surfaces, but occasionally gets dirty.

I liked the look of the on-one cromo fork until postage came to 30.

Keen for it to be suspension corrected for 100mm travel if possible and weight isn't a huge issue.

Something like the Surley Instigator looks about right, but i would prefer something that looks like the on-one fork if at all possible.

Am I overlooking anything? If not i'll probably just grab one of the Surley forks. With free postage from wiggle it looks like a good deal

nothing to see here
    The Salsa fork is a little longer than the Surly fork (425mm vs 418mm) and reviews very well. At exactly the same price, I'd take the Salsa. It is suspension corrected for an 85mm travel fork however.

For the look you're after, there doesn't appear to be many options in steel other than the OnOne you already mentioned. Some carbon forks are a similar price, when you factor in shipping.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

rigid fork

Hi Al,
    try and get a second hand (or new Pace RC 31 (yes it's 26" wheel size) I used to have one and they are great will take disc and vee brakes with adapter go to www.retrobike.co.uk and keep looking into auction watch under Pace

Steve

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks guys.

Steve - the Salsa looks pretty good. I'm sure any of these will do the job, so it isn't a massive decision. Is there going to be a distinguishable difference between the feel of steel and alloy?

Steve 2, I'll keep an eye on that auction site.

It is probably down to the Surley and Salsa. Ease of purchasing is a factor and you can't go past Wiggle or CRC

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Kona P2. Cheap- light and bomb proof. Forget carbon it's like riding a plastic spoon.

smc
    mtbr member
    Surly 1x1

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

rigid 26er

Hi Al,
    forgot to emntion Surly ans Salsa available from Dirtworks

Steve

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks. The dirtworks site looks like it is playing up from this end though

The 1x1 is $105 with free postage from wiggle and the instigator is $113. I was running an 80mm fork on this bike for a while and much prefer the geometry now i've gone to 100mm, so i think the instigator is the way to go.

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Someone mentioned this to me... these guys sell lots of carbon frames on ebay.

Probably an awful idea, but tempting.

http://www.flyxii.com/products_1.asp?menuid=315&id=315

nothing to see here
    wouldn't trust it off road
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Surly 1x1 does the job, suits older frames which had 85 mm forks. Plenty strong. Not bling though. Just about anything else looks better.

That FLYXII is a road fork. Don't even think it.

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm wondering now if i would be better off just setting my fixie up as a SS for the ride to work. I love it and if i can make the eno hub work with a rear brake it might be the best option.

It looked like lining the rim up with a caliper might be a challenge, but it is probably the easiest and cheapest option.

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I ended up doing the above, and am back on my single speed. I put a fat mtb bar on it though to feel more at home and distinguish myself from the inner city hipsters. Pretty happy with it though - with two brakes, a freewheel and its 700x23 setup it is really fast and comfortable. I've managed to set it up to feel very similar to the hardtail which will make the change at weekends less confusing

Thanks for the suggestions, but going this way seemed to make more sense.

nothing to see here
    pics?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'll get some tonight... was lazy and drove in today

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    This is how it looks now. It has a 660mm bar on it which sets it apart from most in the city

Considering getting a cheap fork and building up the spare mtb frame SS now though. I had forgotten how much i like them... this is great, but i miss being able to jump off everything and ride down stairs etc. It is actually helpful when riding through the city every day...

I have the frame, brakes and a nice set of wheels already. Tempted

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    For 26 years I rode a Finish made rigid Scorpion along the Great Dividing Range, shock horror ... but I'll admit to being a slow learner. I ain't too proud.

Even one neurone thinker Vic Kongs ... can learn to go boing boing.

... but I doubt that the half whited Vic Cong can rub two neurones together collectively ... hey Hud and your lame arsed sibling?

Are you Vic Kong Fags still back slapping each other after another after your totally under whelming weekend ride? ... or did I even need to ask?

Hey you Victorian queers ... or should I call you Vicqueers? ... tighten your cheeks.

Hey Victorian Girly Mates, unless you queens are black-slapping each other here? .... why are you queers on this site?

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 10-03-2010 at 01:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Welcome back Warren,
    We've missed your sexist, homophobic racist rants!

P.S. Why do you find the need to edit everyone of your posts?

Scott is a tool.
    Oh Wassa, you really are something special aren't you?

Do moderators actually read anything in this forum?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by al_
    This is how it looks now. It has a 660mm bar on it which sets it apart from most in the city

Considering getting a cheap fork and building up the spare mtb frame SS now though. I had forgotten how much i like them... this is great, but i miss being able to jump off everything and ride down stairs etc. It is actually helpful when riding through the city every day...

I have the frame, brakes and a nice set of wheels already. Tempted
    G'day al_,

Like the look of ya' bike.
    Looks race ready (almost) for the cyclocross season next year

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wassa
    I'll admit to being a slow learner...
    Warren.
    We're all nodding in agreement to this Warren.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

mtbr member
    Memo to self - don't go on internet after drinking.

Nice bike Al !

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    For 26 years I rode a Finish made rigid Scorpion along the Great Dividing Range, shock horror ... but I'll admit to being a slow learner. I ain't too proud.

... but I doubt that the half whited Vic Cong can rub two neurones together collectively ... hey Hud and your lame arsed sibling?

Are you Vic Kong Fags still back slapping each other after another after your totally under whelming weekend ride? ... or did I even need to ask?

Hey you Victorian queers ... or should I call you Vicqueers? ... tighten your cheeks.

Hey Victorian Girly Mates, unless you queens are black-slapping each other here? .... why are you queers on this site?

Warren.
    Queer back-slapping is my preferred online activity.

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Been back on this for a week now and have used it a fair bit.

Single speed is definately the way to go for a commuter. I'm really happy with it. At 8kgs it is relatively light and cruises along nicely.

I was running about 72 or 73 inches fixed before, but had to go up to a 16t freewheel to get the right thread size which has dropped it down to under 65 inches now. I thought it would be stupidly spinny, but i like it more. I rarely want to go over 27-28kph on the flat, and this gets there nicely.

I don't usually store cooking stuff on the bookshelf either, but i'm struggling for cupboard space...

nothing to see here

Warren.
    Brilliant Wassa. Thanks for the laugh bud.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast