Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 57
  1. #1
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,021

    2011 Otway Odyssey

    Entries are open.

    Get 'em while they're hot.
    Last edited by Stevob; 08-26-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    157
    How long before the event does it usually sell out? I was keen to give it a go last year but it didn't pan out. I don't have any other events planned for early next year so this might be my year. I'm going to put off entering for a while though, I might see if I still feel like it after the Dirtworks Classic.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias Pauly
    How long before the event does it usually sell out? I was keen to give it a go last year but it didn't pan out. I don't have any other events planned for early next year so this might be my year. I'm going to put off entering for a while though, I might see if I still feel like it after the Dirtworks Classic.
    Holding out until mid-November might be a bit risky if you want a guaranteed entry. You can always enter and just cancel in November if you change your mind. I'm sure you'd get a refund.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    157
    You can get a refund up to 2 weeks out from the event, but it's minus a $40 admin fee. I might wait until after the GMBC Yowie in early October and make up my mind, that way I won't be dissapointed.

  5. #5
    ADIDAB
    Reputation: Steve_N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    577
    Has anyone ever used the Shuttle Bus service from Forrest to Apollo Bay on the morning of the race? If so, how did you find it?

    Also, how do find the overall running of the event? Nice and smooth?

    Am considering my options on this - am keen to give this a crack...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    391
    Haven't used the bus shuttle but the RapidAscent crew are very professional. The event is run well as its had a chance to mature. They ran out of water in the first year

    It doesn't have the catering that the Avoca Nemesis had but the course is what the Otway Odyssey is all about IMHO. You'll get water stops and some of those Shotz nutrition tablets, which made me queasy...

    A 2 little water bladder should have you covered fluid wise.
    Last edited by jathanas; 08-26-2010 at 08:22 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    183

    Shuttle bus

    I camped in Forrest and got the shuttle bus down to AB this year.
    'Twas a bleary eyed affair!
    I was up at 4.00am and had a big breakfast. Hopped on the bus and was down mixing with the assembled throng with enough time to soak in the atmosphere of the event B4 the start. So yes, the shuttle bus was well run with enough time not to feel rushed and not to feel as though you were wasting time hanging around.
    And for those precious about their bikes, the crew handled them (the bikes!) with love.
    Can't wait for 2010 OO

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: casnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    354
    Just tried entering as an SS and the computer crashed - is this a message from God ???

  9. #9
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,021
    The computer obviously couldn't handle the amount of awesomeness you gave it. Get a more manly computer.
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Carver96er
    I camped in Forrest and got the shuttle bus down to AB this year.
    'Twas a bleary eyed affair!
    I was up at 4.00am and had a big breakfast. Hopped on the bus and was down mixing with the assembled throng with enough time to soak in the atmosphere of the event B4 the start. So yes, the shuttle bus was well run with enough time not to feel rushed and not to feel as though you were wasting time hanging around.
    And for those precious about their bikes, the crew handled them (the bikes!) with love.
    Can't wait for 2010 OO
    My eagle eyed son just pointed out the error of my ways! Should read:-

    Can't wait for the 2011 OO

    ...and I can't!!

  11. #11
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Carver96er
    My eagle eyed son just pointed out the error of my ways! Should read:-

    Can't wait for the 2011 OO

    ...and I can't!!
    I was going to say something, but I just put it down to you having a seniors moment.
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: casnell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    The computer obviously couldn't handle the amount of awesomeness you gave it. Get a more manly computer.
    I'm still working on the awesomeness, I've entered as "keeping the options open but hoping to be manly enough"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wannabeRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,107
    I hope to be there as I missed out last year due to a good excused and the year before i suffered from lack of sleep from partying the night before the 100k ride

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    82
    I too was not awesome enough, site crashed for single speed entry, as my email address is not valid. Hope they fix it keen to see how much i can punish myself in a day.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    391
    I'll just chime in here to take my hat off to the guys willing to push themselves through the 100km on a SS.

    I train and have heaps of fun on a 32:16, but it just amazes/inspires me when I see individuals willing themselves to finish marathon events in one gear. Especially when I'll be hurting/cramping/limping towards the finish line spinning granny, and I see a SS rider off-the-saddle grinding through the pedals.

    It takes a "special" kind of guy I think...
    Last edited by jathanas; 09-08-2010 at 10:32 PM.

  16. #16
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,021
    It helps if you only ride single speeds and you're missing a few brain cells.
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wannabeRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,107
    try seeing someone on a cyclecross SS, and suffering like he wish he had gears was not cool.

  18. #18
    fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Reputation: ilostmypassword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,171
    Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    Just tried entering as an SS and the computer crashed - is this a message from God ???
    yep. that ss'ers are not really that special...

    Unicycles are now where it's at...


  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    183
    Just want to chime in and shatter your illusion that somehow we SSer's are 'mighty, mighty beings'!!
    I, for the life of me, can't see what the difference is. Theres less to go wrong and every hill I walked/run up the 'geared' brigade were doing the same in 2010. At one stage I was feeling sorry for the people on geared bikes!!
    Had the Reba fork on for the race and felt it was a waste of weight. Did the Avoca Nemisis with carbon ridgid and only missed the Reba for about 500metres. The obvious benifit being weight saving. Give me 10.5kg ss rigid anyday over just about anything else (that I can afford)

    Cheers

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ben_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    551
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    yep. that ss'ers are not really that special...

    Unicycles are now where it's at...


    A guy tried to do the 55k race at the Highland Fling on a unicycle a few years ago. When I passed him he was walking with 20ks still to go.......

    Had thought about returning to the Otway next year but cant see me finding the time to do the training. 2012????

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Carver96er
    Just want to chime in and shatter your illusion that somehow we SSer's are 'mighty, mighty beings'!!
    I, for the life of me, can't see what the difference is. Theres less to go wrong and every hill I walked/run up the 'geared' brigade were doing the same in 2010. At one stage I was feeling sorry for the people on geared bikes!!
    Had the Reba fork on for the race and felt it was a waste of weight. Did the Avoca Nemisis with carbon ridgid and only missed the Reba for about 500metres. The obvious benifit being weight saving. Give me 10.5kg ss rigid anyday over just about anything else (that I can afford)

    Cheers
    Didn't say mighty, said "special"

    That last firetrail climb that goes for eons on 32:16... :shudders:

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas
    Didn't say mighty, said "special"

    That last firetrail climb that goes for eons on 32:16... :shudders:
    Agreed!, though it may have been harder on the head than the body!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    391
    This year I'm thinking of going 1 x 9 for the OO. Maybe a 34 front with an 11-34 or 11-36 cassette.

    Some of those frikkin' climbs are unrideable to me regardless of gearing (sledgehammer anyone?).

    I wonder, for those bastard climbs, would it be it more efficient to just get off and walk/run as oppossed to blowing up on the granny and then trying to walk to the top?

  24. #24
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,021
    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas
    I wonder, for those bastard climbs, would it be it more efficient to just get off and walk/run as oppossed to blowing up on the granny and then trying to walk to the top?
    There has to be a point where it's more efficient to walk, and I dare say it would be before entering the red zone.
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

  25. #25
    nothing to see here
    Reputation: Stevob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,021
    FWIW, I'll be driving down on the day next year. This will give me time to digest my brekky properly, unlike last year.
    I see hills.

    I want to climb them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •