nothing to see here

2011 Otway Odyssey

Entries are open.

Get 'em while they're hot.
    Last edited by Stevob; 08-26-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    How long before the event does it usually sell out? I was keen to give it a go last year but it didn't pan out. I don't have any other events planned for early next year so this might be my year. I'm going to put off entering for a while though, I might see if I still feel like it after the Dirtworks Classic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias Pauly
    How long before the event does it usually sell out? I was keen to give it a go last year but it didn't pan out. I don't have any other events planned for early next year so this might be my year. I'm going to put off entering for a while though, I might see if I still feel like it after the Dirtworks Classic.
    Holding out until mid-November might be a bit risky if you want a guaranteed entry. You can always enter and just cancel in November if you change your mind. I'm sure you'd get a refund.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can get a refund up to 2 weeks out from the event, but it's minus a $40 admin fee. I might wait until after the GMBC Yowie in early October and make up my mind, that way I won't be dissapointed.

ADIDAB
    Has anyone ever used the Shuttle Bus service from Forrest to Apollo Bay on the morning of the race? If so, how did you find it?

Also, how do find the overall running of the event? Nice and smooth?

Am considering my options on this - am keen to give this a crack...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Haven't used the bus shuttle but the RapidAscent crew are very professional. The event is run well as its had a chance to mature. They ran out of water in the first year

It doesn't have the catering that the Avoca Nemesis had but the course is what the Otway Odyssey is all about IMHO. You'll get water stops and some of those Shotz nutrition tablets, which made me queasy...

A 2 little water bladder should have you covered fluid wise.
    Last edited by jathanas; 08-26-2010 at 08:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Shuttle bus

I camped in Forrest and got the shuttle bus down to AB this year.
    'Twas a bleary eyed affair!
    I was up at 4.00am and had a big breakfast. Hopped on the bus and was down mixing with the assembled throng with enough time to soak in the atmosphere of the event B4 the start. So yes, the shuttle bus was well run with enough time not to feel rushed and not to feel as though you were wasting time hanging around.
    And for those precious about their bikes, the crew handled them (the bikes!) with love.
    Can't wait for 2010 OO

mtbr member
    Just tried entering as an SS and the computer crashed - is this a message from God ???

nothing to see here
    The computer obviously couldn't handle the amount of awesomeness you gave it. Get a more manly computer.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Carver96er
    I camped in Forrest and got the shuttle bus down to AB this year.
    'Twas a bleary eyed affair!
    I was up at 4.00am and had a big breakfast. Hopped on the bus and was down mixing with the assembled throng with enough time to soak in the atmosphere of the event B4 the start. So yes, the shuttle bus was well run with enough time not to feel rushed and not to feel as though you were wasting time hanging around.
    And for those precious about their bikes, the crew handled them (the bikes!) with love.
    Can't wait for 2010 OO
    My eagle eyed son just pointed out the error of my ways! Should read:-

Can't wait for the 2011 OO

...and I can't!!

nothing to see here
    My eagle eyed son just pointed out the error of my ways! Should read:-

Can't wait for the 2011 OO

...and I can't!!
    I was going to say something, but I just put it down to you having a seniors moment.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    The computer obviously couldn't handle the amount of awesomeness you gave it. Get a more manly computer.
    I'm still working on the awesomeness, I've entered as "keeping the options open but hoping to be manly enough"

mtbr member
    I hope to be there as I missed out last year due to a good excused and the year before i suffered from lack of sleep from partying the night before the 100k ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I too was not awesome enough, site crashed for single speed entry, as my email address is not valid. Hope they fix it keen to see how much i can punish myself in a day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'll just chime in here to take my hat off to the guys willing to push themselves through the 100km on a SS.

I train and have heaps of fun on a 32:16, but it just amazes/inspires me when I see individuals willing themselves to finish marathon events in one gear. Especially when I'll be hurting/cramping/limping towards the finish line spinning granny, and I see a SS rider off-the-saddle grinding through the pedals.

It takes a "special" kind of guy I think...
    Last edited by jathanas; 09-08-2010 at 10:32 PM.

nothing to see here
    It helps if you only ride single speeds and you're missing a few brain cells.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    try seeing someone on a cyclecross SS, and suffering like he wish he had gears was not cool.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by casnell
    Just tried entering as an SS and the computer crashed - is this a message from God ???
    yep. that ss'ers are not really that special...

Unicycles are now where it's at...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just want to chime in and shatter your illusion that somehow we SSer's are 'mighty, mighty beings'!!
    I, for the life of me, can't see what the difference is. Theres less to go wrong and every hill I walked/run up the 'geared' brigade were doing the same in 2010. At one stage I was feeling sorry for the people on geared bikes!!
    Had the Reba fork on for the race and felt it was a waste of weight. Did the Avoca Nemisis with carbon ridgid and only missed the Reba for about 500metres. The obvious benifit being weight saving. Give me 10.5kg ss rigid anyday over just about anything else (that I can afford)

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    yep. that ss'ers are not really that special...

Unicycles are now where it's at...

A guy tried to do the 55k race at the Highland Fling on a unicycle a few years ago. When I passed him he was walking with 20ks still to go.......

Had thought about returning to the Otway next year but cant see me finding the time to do the training. 2012????

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just want to chime in and shatter your illusion that somehow we SSer's are 'mighty, mighty beings'!!
    I, for the life of me, can't see what the difference is. Theres less to go wrong and every hill I walked/run up the 'geared' brigade were doing the same in 2010. At one stage I was feeling sorry for the people on geared bikes!!
    Had the Reba fork on for the race and felt it was a waste of weight. Did the Avoca Nemisis with carbon ridgid and only missed the Reba for about 500metres. The obvious benifit being weight saving. Give me 10.5kg ss rigid anyday over just about anything else (that I can afford)

Cheers
    Didn't say mighty, said "special"

That last firetrail climb that goes for eons on 32:16... :shudders:

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas

That last firetrail climb that goes for eons on 32:16... :shudders:
    Agreed!, though it may have been harder on the head than the body!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This year I'm thinking of going 1 x 9 for the OO. Maybe a 34 front with an 11-34 or 11-36 cassette.

Some of those frikkin' climbs are unrideable to me regardless of gearing (sledgehammer anyone?).

I wonder, for those bastard climbs, would it be it more efficient to just get off and walk/run as oppossed to blowing up on the granny and then trying to walk to the top?

nothing to see here
    I wonder, for those bastard climbs, would it be it more efficient to just get off and walk/run as oppossed to blowing up on the granny and then trying to walk to the top?
    There has to be a point where it's more efficient to walk, and I dare say it would be before entering the red zone.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

nothing to see here
    FWIW, I'll be driving down on the day next year. This will give me time to digest my brekky properly, unlike last year.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    This year I'm thinking of going 1 x 9 for the OO. Maybe a 34 front with an 11-34 or 11-36 cassette.

Some of those frikkin' climbs are unrideable to me regardless of gearing (sledgehammer anyone?).

Some of those early hills I found granny (22-32) good just because the buggers in front were going that slow. Bit faster than walking, but not that much, and easy in granny.Sledgehammer is a walk no matter what my gearing, and "the bump' on West Barwon Track. I've gone down there in summer and I can't ride either of those even when I'm fresh!
    I don't know what I'll go this year, train on the SS then see...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    OK, so I was just trying to make myself feel............more 'special'!

mtbr member
    The 100km is limited to 1000 riders this year, wasn't it 500 last year?

nothing to see here
    Certainly looked like 1000 odd riders assembled in Apollo Bay. Actually, I think it may have been just under 800.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Sweet, now my placing looks better. I thought it was out of 500 for some reason but you're right, there was a hell of a lot of people stacked up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It was out of 1000 for the 100km race. I know cos I was in the top 25%, though only 750 actuallly finished. I think the clover leaf from Forrest sapped the will power of a few souls.

Now they have a SS category. They need a combined 8 speed internally geared hub (no 15sd Rolhoffs or 11 speeders allowed) and 1x9 category

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by thelankymanx2
    It was out of 1000 for the 100km race. I know cos I was in the top 25%, though only 750 actuallly finished. I think the clover leaf from Forrest sapped the will power of a few souls.
    that makes more sense.

Now they have a SS category. They need a combined 8 speed internally geared hub (no 15sd Rolhoffs or 11 speeders allowed) and 1x9 category
    gears is gears man
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I can't believe you guys are planning on riding 100kms down there on a SS. What ratio are you going to use? (in gear inches if possible - that makes more sense in my head)

Some of those hills are long!

nothing to see here
    mine works out to about 50.6 gear inches (33:19 on a 29er)
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thelankymanx2
    gears is gears man
    A bike's a bike though right?

If they have a singlespeed category and if I enter I'll be disappointed they don't have a special category for whatever my kind of bike is. Steel, Al, carbon, 8kg, 10kg, 18kg, 3x9, 2x10, 1x1, 1x9, 2x9, 26inch, 29inch, XC, "all-mountain", 4inch, 5inch, 6inch, hardtail, dually, rigid. There'll be bikes of all these types there, and more.

Sometimes I wish Wassa was still with us to point out the bleedin' obvious every now and then.
    Last edited by cowpat; 09-23-2010 at 06:54 PM.

al_
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I didn't say that! I think the quotes have been mixed up...

50 inches would top out pretty quickly going down, but would set you up quite nicely for a sensible pace on flat bits.

Interesting

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by al_

50 inches would top out pretty quickly going down, but would set you up quite nicely for a sensible pace on flat bits.

Interesting
    Sorry about that dude, fixed it up.

That ratio on a SS is pretty much the standard compromise around here. If there's a lot of flat terrain it's a bit low though, very tedious.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by al_

Interesting
    I actually think it's a little low for flat sections, but I find that my bike rolls well enough for most of the downhills at the OO to keep the pace without pedalling.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    At the end of the day a bike is a bike. when did the enjoyment of just getting out and riding become such a pissing comp? Who gives a sh$t? Some folk run that distance- or do it on a 15KG bike. Some are also unfit- or also have some kind of disability. Everyone has there own challenge- regardless of what they ride.

Time and time i see SS'ers thinking that they are the "enlightened riders"- yet when one "just rides" with no judgment and ridicule of others then you can call yourself enlightened.

I hope you all achieve your own goals on the day with or without gears!
    Last edited by ilostmypassword; 09-23-2010 at 08:29 PM.

nothing to see here
    good point
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    At the end of the day a bike is a bike. when did the enjoyment of just getting out and riding become such a pissing comp? Who gives a sh$t? Some folk run that distance- or do it on a 15KG bike. Some are also unfit- or also have some kind of disability. Everyone has there own challenge- regardless of what they ride.

Time and time i see SS'ers thinking that they are the "enlightened riders"- yet when one "just rides" with no judgment and ridicule of others then you can call yourself enlightened.

I hope you all achieve your own goals on the day with or without gears!
    If you wouldn't mind posting this up in every forum on MTBR that would be great. Thanks.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    I'm planning to ride SS in 2011 - mainly because I've done it three times and want to add another dimension to the ride. Not for any other reason. I ride ss's, hardtails and duallies and love 'em all.
    Not sure if I'll crack my goal time of 6:30 that I (would've...) last year, but it will be interesting to test myself. Maybe around 7 hrs?? A number of my riding buddies did SS last year 'relatively easily' I think the main test will not be the hills as such but cramping in the last 15. Stevo must talk to you about gearing sometime

Biggest issue at the moment is my lack of a bike!
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

fan of maple syrup
    I think I might do the 50 on the Nomad this time round. Then maybe have a crack at the 100 again in 2012. That's the current plan.

Scott is a tool.
    100 in 2012 for me.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Registered for the 100km. For better or for worse I also checked the SS box -
    My decision went a bit like this...
    Anyway training commences in earnest in the new year.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

nothing to see here
    ^well done that man^
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ....and a couple more for the 100km SS catagory! Shaun is one of only 5 in the under 18 group.....so far!
    The question now for me is which bike, the fully rigid Salsa 29er or suspension fork'ed
    96er?? Either way its gunna be a fun hurtfest. Let the training begin!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just ordered the king single speed rear hub super deal from crc, so now i have a gear choice the 32-16 or 32-18 that comes with the hub. After the sandy up hill training ride today the 18 might be a good idea.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave999
    Just ordered the king single speed rear hub super deal from crc, so now i have a gear choice the 32-16 or 32-18 that comes with the hub. After the sandy up hill training ride today the 18 might be a good idea.
    I assume that's on a 26er? If so, good choice.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    I've just entered the three of us in the OO..
    MrH will do the 100km and I will do the 15km with Miles for fun (and then head out Sunday for a decent ride!!)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I assume that's on a 26er? If so, good choice.
    29er, had a good ride today sandy uphills im hopeing will increase my climbing strength some more

fan of maple syrup
    Just looked at the OO website and noticed the Shorty has a new route which avoids the first half being mostly fireroad, and instead heads over to Red Carpet instead. Win!

(I realise I'm talking to a mostly empty crowd in here since you're all doing the tonne).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    No, not everyone . Some of us are doing the 50km. The 100km goes in to the "one day soon" category for me.
    Professional Lurker + exPropheteer (I got the poison, I got the Remedy)

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    how did you all do on the day fellas? i'm out of the "loop" so sorry if you have already posted up the day!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    how did you all do on the day fellas? i'm out of the "loop" so sorry if you have already posted up the day!

What did we all ride on the weekend? .....is where it started on MTBR!

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/show...Odyssey/page42 ...is where every twig and rock got anilised and disected (there is a 6 pack of reading to be had on Rotorburn re: OO 2011)

Enjoy!
    John

fan of maple syrup
    What did we all ride on the weekend? .....is where it started on MTBR!
    Depending on how many posts per page you're configured to view, it may start earlier/later than that. Either way, I think I snuck in first post post race at post #3287 in that thread.

Funnily, reading down I only just noticed in MrsH's photo of her and son coming over the line, in the background is my marquee, protecting 'with_the_band's support crew in his marathon effort to finish the 100, with little fanfare by the looks of it given how packed up everything is.
    i'm out of the "loop"
    Understandable. Must've been a difficult month for you guys over there. Heck, tough several months since September really.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered

Understandable. Must've been a difficult month for you guys over there. Heck, tough several months since September really.
    For sure. Tough times.

Good to see most had a great otway. One day i'd like to do it again!

Damn bugs eh! I ran in an event on weekend in Rotovegas- was aiming for 100KM and due to a stomach bug missed cut off and opted for 87.3km instead! Long day at 14hrs!

http://www.robotoranges.com/2011/03/...marathon-2011/

Can't really complain i suppose - but not nice doing an event off colour.

Members who have read this thread: 0