mtbr member

Trails in Thailand

Been working here in Thailand for quite some years now, but had only been riding steadily the past few months. I ride mostly in the Eastern part - Pattaya and outskirts, on a couple of popular trails. Are there any more trails on adjacent provinces?

Also, at the end of the year - I will go on a holiday at Northern Thailand and I plan to take my bike with me. Any suggests on some interesting singletracks near the Chiangmai area?

Planning to go through as many trails as I can and blog about it.

ThailandTrails

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    we go to Bangkok a few times a year-- any place to rent a bike over there?

mtbr member
    what kind of riding do you intend to do ... i see a number of organizers renting out bikes for city tours within Bangkok and i am sure that there are also rentals for those who go out on offroad trails. ill browse through the thai forums for some good recommends.

ThailandTrails

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BruisedKnee
    what kind of riding do you intend to do ... i see a number of organizers renting out bikes for city tours within Bangkok and i am sure that there are also rentals for those who go out on offroad trails. ill browse through the thai forums for some good recommends.

ThailandTrails
    would preferably like to ride on trails. singletrack or other. probably have to stay within an hour of Bangkok.

mtbr member
    saw these in the Thai web forums ... SpiceRoads ... heard also that Probike rents out bikes.

we normally ride at pattaya and sriracha -- normally 1-1.5 hrs away from Bangkok. there are numerous singletracks within these areas.

..of the masses..
    hey, i was wondering if you or anybody you might know had an idea of trails in and around the saraburi province area?

..of the masses..
    oh, thought i would mention, i live in saraburi for now, i am studying, my wife's contract ends this coming july, so we are here till then. i bike quite a lot around where i live (muak lek), but the 'trails' that i know of are just short loops near my campus. so i end up doing the same 'trail' over and over, back n forth. which is okay but it would be nice to know of some close by trails if you are aware of anyway. we dont own a car so my only commute is bike, so it is tough to get to the more popular trails a little ways off..

your blog is pretty good, it is sure is nice to see somebody else out here from hereabouts! swadeekap!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BruisedKnee
    saw these in the Thai web forums ... SpiceRoads ... heard also that Probike rents out bikes.

we normally ride at pattaya and sriracha -- normally 1-1.5 hrs away from Bangkok. there are numerous singletracks within these areas.
    Thanks ---Awesome

mtbr member
    thanks hagar. there is one place we love in saraburi which is quite popular as well .. right beside the big army base in saraburi ... think its called Saam Laan. its in a national reserve, so the view and scenery are awesome. certainly could equal the world heritage sites in khao yai. could be worth the 30+km trip from muaklek to that place.

me and my riding buds used to roam there many years ago. actually, planning to visit the place again one of these days. as long as we can come up with a good excuse for the missus as it would take us most of the day travelling to and from our place here in pattaya.

ThailandTrails

mtbr member
    btw, heard that there are many bike hash in muaklek area. not that i like to join them as i would rather go for a hard ride - quick in and out, rather than spending a weekend getting drunk and nasty. but if you buy this gig -- chk this hash party.

..of the masses..
    cool man. thanks for the heads up. i will surely check that place out. my wife has been in thailand longer (4th year running, mine is the first) and she says she knows where it is. we will have to bike it to the trail, but what the heck, could make for a nice sunday. if you are ever to come up this side of thailand, PM me. maybe we could get a ride together sometime.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    thanks hagar .. that sounds like a plan. will let you know if we plan to be in the saraburi area soon. looking forward to prowling about in me old hunting ground ...

happy riding!

ThailandTrails

mtbr member
    May 2005

Smile Mtn Biking in Thailand

Hey guys,

I'm leaving this Friday for 6 weeks in Thailand. I'm trying to get info on riding opportunities but it's proving frustrating. I'm not interested in paying too much money on major tourist-style "package deals". I'm a backpacker so I generally prefer to rough it. I do plan to locate some good operations in the Chiang Mai area and anywhere else I can find good riding. In most situations I'd prefer to ride with a group unless the trails are pretty well traveled and safe. I don't know if I'll encounter other interested parties or will end up doing most of my rides by myself.

I'd also be interested in doing a multi-day mtn bike tour. But the tours I've found so far seem pricey and really don't have much off-road action on the iteneraries. I do a lot of fairly hard, technical, fast downhill riding in the SF Bay area but riding on roads scares the hell out of me! Especially in Thailand which I think holds a world record for pedestrian traffic fatalities. So I'd be interested in 2 to 5 day tours which are mostly off-road, if they exist.

Anyway, I'm looking for the following info:
    * Good mtn biking operations, places to ride, multi-day tours
    * Big question: what kind of pedals are typically offered by the rental and tour operations? In other words, are they old-fashioned BMX style or do they have clips (ie, straps) or clipless? Should I bring my own pedals, wrench and shoes? I'd be bummed if I the pedals were old-fashioned.
    * How's the riding, in general? Technical? How are the climbs and decents?
    * Are helmets available or should I bring my own? If I wear one, will Thais laugh at me? No that this would necessarily discourage me though I'm not sure it'll fit in my pack

OK, I've asked a lot of questions. I'll try to give an update after I've done some riding there. Later,

- Chris

mtbr member
    Fidelis,

Like Bruised said, SpiceRoads is a good place to start. They offer package tours and bike rentals. I'm not part of this outfit nor I have tried their service personally but I know people who did and the feedback was positive.

If you prefer to rough it, I suggest you hookup with the LBS in the area. In ChiangMai, popular LBS's that I can recall would be Cherry Bike and Jacky Bike. I can PM you the phone numbers if you want.

For Hagar, popular LBS in the Saraburi area would be SaengArun Bikes near the Saraburi Railroad station. I've personally been to this LBS since I have relatives living nearby and they're friendly. Hookup with them and ask for local trails and weekend rides. Actually, you don't even have to ask, the guys over there will invite you themselves. This is generally true for most LBS's in Thailand.

For pedals, the ones attached on the rentals are generic platform (Wellgo, etc.) If you prefer to wear clipless, I suggest you bring your own pedals and shoes. Pedals are not expensive, though. You can get a decent pair of Shimano SPDs for 20-25USD. You might be surprised to find out that bike parts in Thailand are generally cheaper than in the US or Europe and I'm talking about the real things, not fakes.

Unfortunately, Thailand doesn't have bike parks like in the US or Canada although there are a lot of potential places to build one. The singletracks that you will find will be those cut by the local bikers. Think lots of grass and trees.

Helmets are available and no, Thais will not laugh at you if you wear one. Actually, if you go with the local groups, they will even encourage you to wear a helmet. If you're not picky on brand, you can grab a decent Prowell (http://www.prowellhelmets.com/) helmet for around 30USD. Other brands like Giro, Specialized, Met, etc. are also carried by almost all LBS's.
    Last edited by mister_suave; 10-31-2006 at 11:59 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Mtn Biking in Thailand

Thanks, Mister Suave. So are you saying that most operations rent bikes having generic pedals with clips? I rode with clips for years in the old days so that would probably prove preferable to lugging around my pedals and shoes every day in my backpack. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidelis
    Thanks, Mister Suave. So are you saying that most operations rent bikes having generic pedals with clips? I rode with clips for years in the old days so that would probably prove preferable to lugging around my pedals and shoes every day in my backpack. Thanks for the info.
    Bike rentals have platform pedals by default although clipless can be an option like Red Bicycle. Contact them for details and their answer would be probably true for almost all of bike rental operations. Platform pedals are OK and wouldn't make your experience biking in Thailand less fun just because you're not clipped in.

mtbr member
    Fidelis ... 6 weeks in Chiangmai and Northern thailand .. wow. great place to relax man. hope you can find time to enjoy some riding what with the hangover with all the partying. dont forget to visit Phai and Mae HongSon, both backpacker's heaven.

yup, in Thailand, its the LBS seem to be the best source of info for anything abuzz within the area. all these tour packages you see on the web are really pricey and most are more on the tame side, no challenging technical trails. just like the local barber shop, the local bike shop is where you get news of the best trails, tips on which tour group would fit what you are looking for.

will ask around my chiangmai buds to see if there are anything worth your way ...

ThailandTrails