mtbr member

Tokyo/Osaka CYCLE MODE International 2005

Has anyone been to the CYCLE MODE International expo in recent years?

I saw an ad for it in the train on the way to work, and it's in Makuhari Messe this weekend (11/12 & 11/13) and Osaka the next weekend (11/19 & 11/20)

The website is:
    cyclemode.net

As someone who has gone to both work related tradeshows and Summer Sonic at Makuhari Messe, I was wondering whether this would resemble more of the former (boring) or the latter (fun). They make it seem like a great way to ride a lot of nice bikes and see what's coming out, but I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who's gone before I consider going.

Anyone have any first hand experience?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01
    Has anyone been to the CYCLE MODE International expo in recent years?

Anyone have any first hand experience?
    Hi
    Too late for the Tokyo show but you can always go to Osaka...
    I went Saturday and I thought it was pretty good show. All the big brands were there and many smaller companies like Yeti, Rocky Mountain, Cove, Intense, Surly and so on. I got there at 11:30 and it was just getting crowded.
    The MTB course was a branch of the street bike course. It took all of 15 seconds to do and then you had to go all around with the other bikes (slowly) to come back and do your little bit.
    I did not see any large size bikes. If I were to go again I would go first thing in the morning on the first day before it gets crowded and the staff gets burnt out.

Hope that helps Spiral

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    Hi
    Too late for the Tokyo show but you can always go to Osaka...
    I went Saturday and I thought it was pretty good show. All the big brands were there and many smaller companies like Yeti, Rocky Mountain, Cove, Intense, Surly and so on. I got there at 11:30 and it was just getting crowded.
    The MTB course was a branch of the street bike course. It took all of 15 seconds to do and then you had to go all around with the other bikes (slowly) to come back and do your little bit.
    I did not see any large size bikes. If I were to go again I would go first thing in the morning on the first day before it gets crowded and the staff gets burnt out.

Hope that helps Spiral
    By large size bikes, do you mean suitable frame sizes for those of us who are over 6'0"? If there are a decent number of 480mm+ frames, that would be nice...but I wouldn't be surprised if it's virtually only 400mm-440mm frames...

Regardless, If there are any reasonably sized bikes, I probably will go next year to get a chance to try out some FS bikes and see what I think of disc brakes. I've been to the MTB course in Makuhari Messe before, was that where you got to try the bikes? (I'm including the only map I can find, let me know if this is where you rode.)

Thanks again for your feedback Spiral.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01
    By large size bikes, do you mean suitable frame sizes for those of us who are over 6'0"? If there are a decent number of 480mm+ frames, that would be nice...but I wouldn't be surprised if it's virtually only 400mm-440mm frames...

Regardless, If there are any reasonably sized bikes, I probably will go next year to get a chance to try out some FS bikes and see what I think of disc brakes. I've been to the MTB course in Makuhari Messe before, was that where you got to try the bikes? (I'm including the only map I can find, let me know if this is where you rode.)

Thanks again for your feedback Spiral.
    Large? Yes, from around 6 feet.
    They set up a tiny course in the building.
    Good luck!