mtbr member

Tokyo Japan anyone?

Hi there. I'm currently living in Tokyo (near Nerima to be exact) and was wondering if there is anyone out there looking for someone to ride with around the outskirts of Tokyo. I generally ride around a place called Ogose and Sayama Lake (near Tokorozawa in Saitma Prefecture). If anyone is up for a ride on either a Wednesday or Thursday give me a shout. I'm generally interested in trail riding but I also have a downhill bike (Ironhorse Sunday) and will be going to Nagano (Fujimi Panorama) regulary (perhaps 3 or 4 times a month) when the downhill season starts (probably around the end of April, depending on the snow).
    Let me know if you are interested in either of these types or riding.
    Thanks
    Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi Mark,
    I'm down here in Shizuoka prefecture, but go to Fujimi quite a bit. Plan to be up the weekend before Golden Week. If you seen a guy on an old MC Shockwave give a shout!
    Michael

mtbr member
    Hiya Michael
    I'll keep my eyes open for you when I'm up there. I ride an Ironhorse Sunday Team so likewise if you see me give me a shout. I'm getting a season pass this year so I should be there quite a bit (although mainly on a Wednesday/Thursday). Are you going to be competing in the Japan Downhill series this year? I will be, but I believe there are only 5 races.
    Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by markfielding1977
    Hiya Michael
    Are you going to be competing in the Japan Downhill series this year? I will be, but I believe there are only 5 races.
    Mark
    No. I raced some last year and while it was fun, it wasn't as fun as goin out and rippin' it up w/friends. Do you plan to do the races at Sena/Ishikawa and up in Aomori?

Mike

mtbr member
    Hi Mike
    Are you the guy I was speaking to in Aomori and Fujimi last season at the races? With the Santa Cruz VP Free and fox 40RC2's??
    I am hopefully doing all the races this season. Last season I only made it to about 4 or 5 out of 8 but this season I want to do them all (as there are only 5).....And I plan to make it up to Fujimi almost every Wednesday and Thursday this season.
    Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by markfielding1977
    Hi Mike
    Are you the guy I was speaking to in Aomori and Fujimi last season at the races? With the Santa Cruz VP Free and fox 40RC2's??
    I am hopefully doing all the races this season. Last season I only made it to about 4 or 5 out of 8 but this season I want to do them all (as there are only 5).....And I plan to make it up to Fujimi almost every Wednesday and Thursday this season.
    Mark
    Hey Mark,
    Wasn't me... But wish it was - sounds like a sweet bike! I only raced at Fujimi last year in the non-JCF/Open class. Probably do the same this year. I love racing, but..

Wednesdays and Thursdays are great days to be up riding at Fujimi. Last summer I had 7 weeks off and gave up counting how many days I rode. It's kind of sick to say, but I even got burned out on it. Such an awesome DH riding place, though! This year I don't have nearly that much time, but I do hope we can hit some runs together. That goes for you speeeedy AUSSIES, too! (....what is it that makes you crazies so fast )

Peace!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    hey. I am down here in fukuoka............looking to get out to some other trails outside of kyushu (or elsewhere on kyushu). although there are some good trails here....need to find somewhere else to go.....any ideas?

rizo

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey Rizo,

Fukuoka, huh? Anyplace I could rec would be hella far for you as I only know areas north of Nagoya. I've never ridden Sena kogen (Ishikawa-ken), but I'm planning a 3-4 day excursion there this summer. A few riders from my local shop say its the top serviced DH course in Japan. Fujimi is sweet for DHing. Last year I gave up counting the days I rode there and it was late September before I starting burning out on it. Also, just across the valley - Yatsu ga dake - there is a ton of xc riding and decent places to ($)camp. You can camp in Fujimi parking lot for free as many do. Be wary, though, on the off chance the local marching band decides to come and practice. If you go to Fujimi on GW you'll spend a loooong time in line, but any other time in the summer (except race days) will provide you with more runs than your body can handle. Onsens are nearby, though!

If you're interested, I'll let you know (when I know) when I will be going to Sena - it'll be late July/early August.

I live pretty close to the minami alps and have hike all the japan alps pretty thoroughly. This year I plan to try and piece together a worthy decent on the western side of Aikaishi-dake - not from the top, but to the extent that fire roads can take me. Also, late last year I found a 3-4 km hiking trail on the east side of Aikaishi not far from Hatanagi Dam/Sumatakyo Onsen (nice, remote, expensive!) that can be kuruma shuttled. The hikers aren't too impressed, however.

Hakodate DH course (I'm not familiar with it) which is in Shiga-ken I believe is hosting the first of this year's JCF DH series. As I understand it, and I could be mistaken, it is one of the easier courses to ride and is not chair/gondola serviced.

There's nothing here in Shizuoka to justify a rode/shinkansen trip here.

Ride on!
    Michael
    The very purpose of our life is happiness, the very motion of our lives is toward happiness.
    -His Holiness the Dalai Lama

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the info. Would like to get up to Fujimi one of these days...sounds good.

Rizo