mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Tire recommendations for Korea

I'm heading out to Korea for a few weeks and will be bringing the RFX for a little riding. When I used to live out there, I ran a Nokian Gazzalodi Soft 2.3 front and Hutchinson Octopus 2.3 rear. Great tires for the conditions. Right now I'm running a Maxxis Minion DHF 2.7 front and WTB 2.4 Mutanoraptors rear (for lower weight and rolling resistance). Should I consider bringing a different set of tires? Not sure if the MR are going to have enough grip (too easily pack up with mud or snow) or pinch flat resistance out there. I've got a set of Intense WC DH 4-ply tires sitting in the garage, but have been resistant because of their weight... The wire bead on my Nokians is starting to fall apart, so I've been hesitant about those... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

≈ > ♥
    For the trails we run here, anything from a 2.3 to 2.5 with DH casing is ideal.

Where you planning on riding? You've been here, and most likely know how varried the terrain is depending on where you ride...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Well I'm just riding around my in-laws' neighborhood in Yong-In. Riding the hiking trails on Suk-Sung mountain. Decided on riding with the Minion DHF 2.7 front and Intense WC 2.5" quad-ply rear. I did bring the Mutanoraptors too, but it's unlikely they'll see any riding time. I also have access to my in-laws' minivan, so I might make a trip down to my old stomping grounds in Cheonan (Taejo Mountain). Don't really know the trails around Seoul and have lost contact with my old riding buddies... I've attached a couple pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stib
    Well I'm just riding around my in-laws' neighborhood in Yong-In. Riding the hiking trails on Suk-Sung mountain. Decided on riding with the Minion DHF 2.7 front and Intense WC 2.5" quad-ply rear. I did bring the Mutanoraptors too, but it's unlikely they'll see any riding time. I also have access to my in-laws' minivan, so I might make a trip down to my old stomping grounds in Cheonan (Taejo Mountain). Don't really know the trails around Seoul and have lost contact with my old riding buddies... I've attached a couple pics.
    We tore it up today in Bundang, all 10 or so expats and a few locals.We rode for about 2.5 hrs then we dranks some beers and ate snacks from the USA. The trails were fairly slick or just right in a few places but we had a good time. The pollution may have us paying the price though. Look for us on the Yahoo group system as MTBK or MTB korea.

Hope to see you soon.

Stan

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Hey Stan, thanks for the heads up. Gotta say that I'm in terrible shape and that most of my "climbing" takes the form of hiking. I'll definitely try to hook up with you guys before I go back home. What days do you guys usually meet up? Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with y'all...

Submitted a photo of how I usually climb... ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey Stan, thanks for the heads up. Gotta say that I'm in terrible shape and that most of my "climbing" takes the form of hiking. I'll definitely try to hook up with you guys before I go back home. What days do you guys usually meet up? Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with y'all...

Submitted a photo of how I usually climb... ...
    I call BS for that excuse! We divide the group into two group, a fast one and then there is "built for comfort" which puts a great deal of effort into only rolling DOWN hills. Also, this is the ideal time to show since we are all out of shape.
    I was worried when we arrived that my wife would be frustrated by the riding but she fit right in with the slower group then graduated to the fast group. "fast" is also subject since we are mostly giants and don't ride silly light bikes. Show up or we will talk about you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Hahaha... So when's the next ride? I'll do my best to show up. Just need a few days notice since I'm also doing the "meet the relatives/in-law's" rounds. Checked the Yahoo! MTBK groups, but couldn't find any info on upcoming planned rides. Planning on doing another exploratory ride here in Yong-In tomorrow early morning. Thanks again for the invite.

≈ > ♥
    There's a couple different expat groups riding, and they both get out for Saturdays.
    Sometimes both meet up for a big group ride/BBQ...

MTBK board is for organizing lightbike xc rides (usually beer after riding) generally around the Seoul/Bundang area, and the Filthy board consists of the downhill chundermonkeys (beer before, during, and after riding) usually doing shuttles at Namhansanseong or hitting up Jisan resort for resort bikeys when it opens.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Think I fit in between the two groups, but would definitely prefer shuttling than climbing any day. Checked MTBK and I guess the next ride is Saturday at Suri-san. Where is that? Curious about where and when the Filthies will ride. May be more consistent with my riding style, although I'm no downhiller or freerider...

Rode from the summit of Suk-Sung-san yesterday. Pretty awesome ride. Prolly have another go at it tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Think I fit in between the two groups, but would definitely prefer shuttling than climbing any day. Checked MTBK and I guess the next ride is Saturday at Suri-san. Where is that? Curious about where and when the Filthies will ride. May be more consistent with my riding style, although I'm no downhiller or freerider...

Rode from the summit of Suk-Sung-san yesterday. Pretty awesome ride. Prolly have another go at it tomorrow.
    Surisan is West of Seoul. Check the MTBK board for the pickup point and time for a ride in the big red truck. It is the ONLY one of it's type in Korea and the owner is the only one of his type here too. The riding in Surisan will suit you well I am sure.

Besides, the Filthies will drink you beer and talk about your little sister. If they start drinkin' the whiskey, call the cops.

I hope we see you

Stan

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Stan, sorry bro. Just got the red flag from the wifey... Cannot do this Saturday. But definitely can do next Saturday. Hopefully there'll be a ride then as well...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Some photos of Suk-Sung mountain...

Just thought I'd post a couple pictures of the little mountain behind my in-laws' place that I've been riding. I honestly don't have the balls or skills to ride it completely, but what a blast and change of pace from the So. Cal. riding that I'd been doing!

A couple days ago, I portaged/hiked my bike up to the summit of Suk-Sung-san (471m - ~350-400m elevation gain from the bottom), then took the north ridge back down. The way up was really physically exhausting and there were times I was worried I'd fall over backwards because it was so steep and sketchy. This morning I went exploring for an easier route up top. I had seen a ridge on the southwest part of the mountain and tried that. It was a lot less rocky, but still steep. I didn't make it to the top this morning because after a certain point near the summit, I figured it wouldn't be ridable at my skill level. My in-laws told me about a paved access road on the south side of the mountain, which I'll try out tomorrow to get to the top, then probably ride back down the north side. I'll try to remember to bring my camera tomorrow...

For now a couple of crappy iPhone pics...