mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thoughts on Southern Korea?

The squaw has been offered sweet coin for helping her company on a project over the next two years in Sangdo (?) city near Incheon. I will be putting my career on hold for this and will effectively be a kept man

Any experience with the area, the culture, and the trails? I really will be sad if MTBing is not happeneing there. Are there lots of ex-pats there?

≈ > ♥
    The riding is good year round. Winter is colder, but dry.
    Bring your bikes, as you will regret not having them.

There are a couple local ex-pat riding crews to hook up with, depending on if you like the XC or DH side of things...

The Weatherman
    I lived in Seoul for a year and the riding is great. Lots of trail options all around the city, most of which are accessible via subway (just get on the last car and prop your bike against the wall).

I am not sure if Sangdo has subway access, but I know Incheon does.

Koreans are pretty cool. I never had any problems while I was there and they were generally very interested in folks from the west.

I don't really know much about Sangdo. There might be other trail options there I am unware of.

Here is a better forum to get information about Korea. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/mtbk/

I used those forums when I arrived in Korea, and two days after I arrived I hooked up with local riders who showed me the ropes around Seoul. It is THE source for all thinking biking in Korea.

Drop by these forums and I am sure people will give you a more current picture.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawndream
    I lived in Seoul for a year and the riding is great. Lots of trail options all around the city, most of which are accessible via subway (just get on the last car and prop your bike against the wall).

I am not sure if Sangdo has subway access, but I know Incheon does.

Koreans are pretty cool. I never had any problems while I was there and they were generally very interested in folks from the west.

I don't really know much about Sangdo. There might be other trail options there I am unware of.

Here is a better forum to get information about Korea. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/mtbk/

I used those forums when I arrived in Korea, and two days after I arrived I hooked up with local riders who showed me the ropes around Seoul. It is THE source for all thinking biking in Korea.

Drop by these forums and I am sure people will give you a more current picture.
    Thanks for the info. They have been very helpful, as have the responses here. I now need to start talking about taxes and transportations issues since the MTBing appears to be killer. I had to get the important stuff outta the way!

mtbr member
    One of my main reasons for going back to Korea is the biking - it's that good. Do a search under 'korea' or 'duncan' and you'll see a few of my shots.

Cheers,

Duncan

≈ > ♥
    Drunken! I heard you were on your way back...

I think the poofters miss you.

mtbr member
    who's this then? BC Kev? It's definately not going to be Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duncan; 07-25-2007 at 06:00 AM.

≈ > ♥
    BC Mike

Bee's outty soon, a few weeks...
    When are you back here?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If I had a month to just ride and eat, I would head right for Korea.

http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/bundang/index.asp

http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/surisan/index.asp

I'm an XC rider, but if you like DH, that's the place to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Bump to catch more comments.
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It's odd because I ride racing recumbents when I'm in Korea along Han river (Seoul) and MTB everywhere else.

Silly me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fokket
    It's odd because I ride racing recumbents when I'm in Korea along Han river (Seoul) and MTB everywhere else.

Silly me.
    okaaaaay. Maybe I'll see you around town mate.....racing recumbants? Please tell me that is not the rage in SK.

used to be uno-speedo....
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    100+ miles of government-sponsored bike trails all around the city.
    Damn, thats pretty sweet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm actually a Korean national studying in England now.

I wouldn't say 'rage' but people are more aware of its advantages.

I know that recumbents have some negative stigma, but they ARE the fastest bicycle out there. it has inherently lower coefficient of drag.

The reason I didn't bother riding MTB when I was in Korea was because it was way too crowded with hikers during weekends. I never had time to do it during weekdays back then. Now the situation has changed, I guess its time for ELITE travel Bike hardcase.
    (and for other areas of Europe)

Currently thinking of Enduro SL

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fokket
    I'm actually a Korean national studying in England now.

I wouldn't say 'rage' but people are more aware of its advantages.

I know that recumbents have some negative stigma, but they ARE the fastest bicycle out there. it has inherently lower coefficient of drag.

The reason I didn't bother riding MTB when I was in Korea was because it was way too crowded with hikers during weekends. I never had time to do it during weekdays back then. Now the situation has changed, I guess its time for ELITE travel Bike hardcase.
    (and for other areas of Europe)

Currently thinking of Enduro SL
    Wow! You were not kidding about the recumbant. What an amazing ride. Batman's got nothing on you.

Regards