Thread: thailand

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

thailand

can you ride mtn bikes in TH? i love thai food and Thai women are unbelievably pretty. anybody been there done that...any locals in the house

thanks
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

1+1
    going for a ride
    There's this guided tour thing, run by Jeff Carr of Different Bikes, Van.
    I've done it myself up north, around Chiangmai, it's doable, but hot.
    Like real hot, even in their 'winter', Dec to Feb.
    Also you can try Laos in the winter. Or Yunnan, China, where I'm riding ride now.
    All these areas are relatively close to each other and they're all different. Depends what you looking for in terms of riding, terrain, culture and food.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    wow, you've got a lot of experience..love to shoot the sheet with you about your travels..maybe jungle riding wouldn't be so great

i just thought maybe i could ride a bike around and check stuff out...no gnarly DH stuff...just kind of put around on a bike...and eat great food

have a great trip man!!!
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

1+1
    going for a ride
    I rode N. Thailand and Laos about 6 years back.
    It was ok, I didn't have a decent bike.
    But honestly, imho, nothing beats where I'm riding now, for mainly dh/fr/heavy am, anyways.
    But if you just want to explore, I'll say any country at all will do.
    Most important thing is your budget and what kind of bike you want to bring/buy here.
    What culture interests you? Language skills?
    If you want to ride backcountry any place in Asia, it's no problem, people are friendly and I haven't had one dodgy situation where I felt for my safety the whole time I've been here.
    Food is also a big thing. Do you like spicy food and eating local? There are always 'western' alternatives, but that'll be like expecting to find real poutine in Texax(no offense)

Shoot me a pm or let me know what you want to know on here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

riding in thailand

Just noticed an old post about riding in Thailand. There is fantastic riding in Thailand probably the best in SE Asia. Best place to head is Chiang Mai in the North there are some fantastic downhill routes on the mountain Doi Pui just outside the city. You can hire a shuttle part way up or to the top of the 5500ft mountain from there you can find numerous routes single track and fire roads (visit one of the bike shops in Chiang Mai and they can provide you maps). Another good mountain biking area is the National park Thung Salaeng Luang outside of the city of Phitsanulok (can be reached by by bus from Phitsanulok). This park has a 40Km point to point ride through rolling jungle and meadows.