Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Taiwan - An undiscovered Biking Paradise!

Taiwan is often overlooked as a biking destination but contains some of the gnarliest riding and scenery on the planet! I live here and would like to share some photos of my backyard.

One of my favorite MTB trails is called the NengGao, perfect high altitude single track that starts at 200m, takes you up to 3000m before bombing down to an incredible 1100m!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inmotio...7601398714320/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/inmotio...7604097014441/

Another beast of a trail is called the NengGao, a 6 hour epic through Taiwan's mountainous interior
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/inmotio...7600348922192/

We recently completed a 10 day / 800km road bike tour from Taipei in the North of Taiwan all the way to Kenting in the South. Awesome riding, stunning scenery and one of the best trips I have done in my life!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/inmotio...7603813313078/

Click the slideshow button top right
    Enjoy!
    IN MOTION ASIA
    Outdoor Adventures in Taiwan & Asia!
    www.inmotionasia.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    looks like fun! im also from taiwan
    08 Trance 1

mtbr member
    Check out this cool clip....be sure to turn it up LOUD!!

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEnDV0eg7w
    IN MOTION ASIA
    www.inmotionasia.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Shhhhh...don't let the secret out

Whenever we visit my wife's family there I always do a little local riding. Even just the little trails near her town are fantastic. Once you get out of the big cities it's truly a gorgeous country (hence the Portuguese name "Ilha formosa" = beautiful island) and has terrain to match almost anything I've seen in the U.S.

(BTW -- for any roadies there's also some fantastic road riding, right near Taipei if you're there for business or something)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If I am in taipei on business is there somewhere to rent a bike and ride?

I will be in a hotel downtown so I have to rely on public transportation to get wherever I am going.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

dft
    mtbr member
    do you have any really technical trails for descending? ie, nice long vertical descents that are technical

mtbr member
    How about this....start high up in the central mountain range at 2000m, climb 13km - 3.5 hours up to 3000m through epic mountain vistas, turn around and bomb down to just above 1200m - 2.5hrs on single track - rough rocky sections, pine covered trails and mountain roads to a hot spring finish and beers
    IN MOTION ASIA
    www.inmotionasia.com

dft
    mtbr member
    that's cool! so there is alot of true singletrack (not talking fireroads, your pic is very nice, but is kinda fireroadish).

there was a thread alittle while ago about riding in dali part of china and it looked great also.

mtbr remember
    Going to Taiwan for only 5days next week. Staying in hotel in Taipei.

Any recommendations? Places that are a "Must see"? Either from a cycling standpoint, or even just that of a typical tourist??? I unfortunately will not have a bike with me this time....
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    Going to Taiwan for only 5days next week. Staying in hotel in Taipei.

Any recommendations? Places that are a "Must see"? Either from a cycling standpoint, or even just that of a typical tourist??? I unfortunately will not have a bike with me this time....
    you can check out Alan's Mountain Bike,
    We ride almost every week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    do you have any really technical trails for descending? ie, nice long vertical descents that are technical
    We do have some technical trails for descending. Although it's not up to the World Cup level, it's a lot fun to ride.

For anyone who is interested in MTBing in Taiwan. You can also check the archived website -Formosan Fat Tire Association.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by basslu
    you can check out Alan's Mountain Bike,
    We ride almost every week.

Thanks.
    Man, I've really got to get back here in the near future, but with my bike! Very beautiful. I guess it would just come down to deciding which bike to bring.

Also, I've got to say.... I'm in Taipei at the moment... pretty crazy, more so than expected! I thought Tokyo was crowded, haha. Yeah, it's pretty packed here too, and fairly chaotic at times. Those damned scooters, ALL over the place, wow! Biking in the city is not easy. Public transportation here in Taipei is phenomenal though.

And completely surprising to me is the incredible lack of bicycle use here (based on my very short and limited experience here anyway...). For being one of the world capitals of bicycle manufacturing, I can't believe there aren't more here.
    You don't even see many of the trendy fixed gear riders around town that seem to have invaded the worlds' cities. Nor millions of granny bikes like in many other countries, which is kind of what I unconciously expected.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Welcome to Taiwan Bikesatori!

Outside that city is a adventure paradise waiting to be explored.....this one from Kenting last weekend!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by inmotionasia; 12-02-2008 at 07:17 AM.
    IN MOTION ASIA
    www.inmotionasia.com

Working on my Drops
    I never knew there was so many trails in TAiwan. I found this guy on vimeo named bike forest steven and there are some video of DH/FR action.

I visited my extended family back there in october 2008 and wish I had known. I would've rented a bike!

mtbr member
    IN MOTION ASIA
    www.inmotionasia.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    wow!!!! i thought Taiwan was just skyscrapers!!!
    nice photos!!
    love it =]
    Giant Yukon 09'
    Merida NinetySix
    Marin 09 Quake 7.9

banned
    Wow, thanks for bringing this thread back. I never saw the photos before. Amazing.

mtbr member
    Gorgeous photos. Thanks for showing that side of Taiwan. I am married to a Taiwanese woman. At the time we were in school together and dating, I wasn't as into mountain biking as I am now. Interesting how things work out. Next time we go I plan to do some heavy bicycle touring, maybe even visit a factory if we can.

mtbr remember
    Yeah, good thread.

That area around Taroko Gorge is beyond amazing. All that Marble and cliffs that are so tall they seem to invert towards the sky above your head... and the area that makes the shape of the island of Taiwan in the sky... hard to explain but impressive beyond words I guess.
    Remember doing the tourist thing around Chufun (sp?) and it was beautiful as well. Had bad weather, but almost made the views that much more epic...

I'd love to go back again in the near future. More to see.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am in Kaohsiung for the next 7 weeks. Can you recommend any trails in the area, and (more importantly) a shop that will rent a trail-worthy bike? thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i am going to post some pictures of a mtb trail in taiwan

it's near the mid-cross of this island

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2010