mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Southern Taiwan rides?

I just signed up and want to say Hi to everyone and to say how much I've enjoyed this site's reviews and comments. Also, to a question.
    I do a lot of travelling (by sea) so end up in different parts of the world and like to explore when I get the time. I'll be in Kaohsiung, Taiwan soon and want to know if anyone knows any good tracks within a few hours drive?
    Last edited by ramblinman; 06-02-2011 at 01:12 AM. Reason: my poor gramer

Love those Thai women!
    May 2008
    If you like mountain biking, then locate the entrance to the large Buddhist temple on the west side of city (Gushan District), adjacent to Kaohsiung Zoo area. Large groups of riders early in the morning 7:00 to 9:00AM - follow these guys up Shoshan Mountain. Some technical trails, with smaller features and some fairly easy and fast trails too. Or, if you prefer road riding, follow the road bike groups along the coastal road behind Shoshan. Longer road rides available from Kaohsiung south to Kenting. I have done a couple of mountain rides outside the city - generally good stuff. But, you will require local knowledge and assistance to get there.

The rainy season has begun, so mountain riding can be muddy and is always a bit slick. Armor is advisable as it is rocky and a spill can mess you up good. Avoid the heat, early mornings or late afternoons. Night rides are prime if you have a light set-up.