Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

South Korea Trails

Any info on ROK trail riding? Near Kunsan or Osan in particular.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    there is lots of stuff up around seoul, I have ridden surisan and bundang.

Pics on my site.

you can also find data here:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...ec=group&slk=2
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Austin is right, the riding here is great. i will add that it's not like anything I'd ever seen before. The trails are everywhere but unmarked and often poorly connected. It several rides to get the hang of a given trail. The attached link is for a group in Osan. they are very cool folks and ride lots.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...ec=group&slk=2

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If I had a week to live I would head for Korea. Between the food and riding I would die a happy man.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i'm here right now and just got myself a new hardtail (made wicked bank off a c'dale tarck bike to fund it). i'm also looking for new trails to ride. it's my understanding that there is a group ride headed for some nice xc fireroads this saturday. i'm still trying to get info as the email based board system is really crappy.

btw, i live in donong which is about one stop further east of guri on the jungang line. if the maps are to believed i think i live just north of bundang on the other side of the river, if i had known this prior to chuseok i think i might've tried to get down there but now that classes are back in session i'm stuck with weekend rides (tons of hikers) till at least winter break.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Bundang has nice trails:

http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/bundang/index.asp

Someone broke a pedal and I switched bikes with them because I couldn't finish (too tired from 2 weeks of asia travel). Only did ~12-15km but it was fun.

mtbr member
    I was in Korea for 4 weeks last month and got a few good ridding in. The trails, community and terrain are really great.

You may want to check on Mtbk group. They have weekly ride on the weekend. I rode with them twice- really really great fun people. They lent me bikes and helmet. There are almost always beers and food post-ride too.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/mtbk/

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Korean Riding

I'm running a bike shop in Korea. bicyclehero.com If you need any support during Korea riding, feel free to contact us. 031-443-053. English This is not commercial service. I hope to support the riders in Korea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good to see this thread! We will be moving to Pyongtaek area soon, I was considering whether or not to bring the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EverythingBeautiful View Post
    Good to see this thread! We will be moving to Pyongtaek area soon, I was considering whether or not to bring the bike.
    If you have a good bike, are of a larger size, and have the ability to bring it with your PCS, do so. Nice bikes are expensive and small in Korea. Get hold of MTBK on facebook pronto. Dirt church was a lifesaver for my wife and I.

mtbr member
    My god- I used to ride the trails in Yuldong Park all the time- I was a teacher in Bundang in 02-3. We used to ride the mountain on the weekend and do night rides during the week, always ending up at a hof somewhere. I heard they changed the name of Samsung Plaza? Fun place- 5 stories of neon and booze.

Another teacher and I took our bikes on the subway to an old castle somewhere in Seoul- can't remember where exactly, sorry, but I remember it was a 3 or 4 km climb from the station to the start- we found tons of trails in there. We got a bit lost, and as the sun was setting, we bombed down the side of a mountain to link up with the road again and on the other side of the hill this long, slow gong started ringing from a Buddhist monastery. Surreal.

But yeah, tons of climbing. Tons of high-end shops, too. Tons of good memories. Say hi to Kim Dong Wook and Kang Han Soo if you see them. Good friends.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm living in Korea currently and just got into mtbs. Subbing for more updates.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Are there any good singletrack/fireroad, etc trails around? (Especially in the Busan/Changwon area)...most of what I can find on here are brutal uphills with very technical descents...I would have been very happy with them 10 yrs ago, but I've been out of the hobby for a while and getting back in I don't have the confidence to have a ton of fun yet...

This felt nice...

This not so much haha...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thcbikr View Post
    this no. still good? says not in service?
    Bicycles Bikes MTB Road Accessaries Gears Fixie

Int.
    Tel: +82-31-443-0530
    Fax:+82-31-443-0531

Kor.
    Tel: 03-1443-0530
    Fax:03-1443-0531

mtbr member
    It's only a few kms, maybe 2~3 kms, if that. You can ride it in 10~15 minutes tops.

Will you take your bike on the subway? If so, it's only officially allowed on Sundays and public holidays, but if you're discreet you can get away with if on a Saturday.

I have ridden to Seohyun Stn from Seoul a few times though, it's an hour's ride or so.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
    Are there any good singletrack/fireroad, etc trails around? (Especially in the Busan/Changwon area)...most of what I can find on here are brutal uphills with very technical descents..
    Had any luck yet? I am in a simular situation but in Ulsan. Only source of info i could find online was this guys website:
    www dot peder dot biz/MTB/maps%20Busan dot php

(Sorry cannot post links yet... replace dot by .)

He has some maps of Busan as well on which he indicated some MTB trails.

mtbr member
    Anybody using a GPS app for navigating? Im looking for a decent android gps app in English to help me route my rides.

mtbr member
    I have three on my Galaxy at the moment:

Sports Tracker: I distrust the amount of kms ridden that it reports to you (they never agree with my odometer) and it has a hard time depicting your ride off major roads.

Runkeeper: I kinda like this one, probably my fave. Always very close to odometer reading and okay at depicting off road courses.

Strava: More for roadies, but can be cool for places like Bukak Skyway etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyRider View Post
    Had any luck yet? I am in a simular situation but in Ulsan. Only source of info i could find online was this guys website:
    www dot peder dot biz/MTB/maps%20Busan dot php

(Sorry cannot post links yet... replace dot by .)

He has some maps of Busan as well on which he indicated some MTB trails.
    I'm the guy with the website :-)
    Would be happy to help anytime - just drop me a line on my personal email (address on my website). We normally ride twice/week here in Ulsan, but I can set you up with my MTB-friends in Busan or Geoje if you need.
    Rides here are steep uphill and great singletracks down. Some are (too) technical but there are many really good rides around.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi Peder, sent you a message

NOOB
    Nov 2012
    Well heres my first post im new here so be kind.... Im active duty military stationed in korea... i pick up a jamis komodo for 300 bucks and went out a couple times. might tackle hill 303

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Expat riding group

There's a group of expats that are usually putting together rides around the Seoul area. Most of the planning / communication is done through facebook. Search the group "MTBR." I live in Incheon, and have about 35km of single track I make it on a few times a week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There are details about a few of the Seoul-area trails on my site:

AustinBike.com - Your home for Central Texas Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just got to Dongducheon(Camp Casey) 4 month ago 1 month ago finally got my 2010 trek 6500SLR (hardtail).I hit a few trails in this areas even participated wangbang (MT) international MTB match, finished it in 3 hrs that was only my 4th time riding my mountain bike (most demanding thing I have done so far, but it made me fall in love with MT biking!!. The four day is coming up and I would love to see if there is anytrails you can recommend for each day!!. eventhough I am a rookie at this sport I have already done some technical trails so any will do THXS!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Geoje Riding

Quote Originally Posted by n_peder View Post
    I'm the guy with the website :-)
    Would be happy to help anytime - just drop me a line on my personal email (address on my website). We normally ride twice/week here in Ulsan, but I can set you up with my MTB-friends in Busan or Geoje if you need.
    Rides here are steep uphill and great singletracks down. Some are (too) technical but there are many really good rides around.

n_peder,

I am working in Geoje & am in dire need of some trail riding... I see lots of activity around, but the communication barrier is preventing us from finding the good riding spots..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast