mtbr member
    Aug 2008

South Korea DH/FR?

I've lived here in Korea for a little while now, and I finally got myself a good bike built up. Now I just need to find some decent DH/FR trails. I'm new to this kind of riding, but I'm one of those people that will try whatever just to have fun. I live really far north... in the Bosan/Dongducheon area, but I can travel south if needed. I just want to find some cool people to ride with. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    hey im in the air force stationed down here in kunsan, i have not found much in my travels, but i have been on a trip to Midong Mt. i think thats it? anyways, it was pretty fun not too much in the way of freeride but there is some pretty fast downhill parts i guess they have races there too. the only bad part is there is no lift, and it is, in fact, a mountain. haha i would say it was worth it though.

the whole area is pretty cool, its a park in a valley and you ride on the the 2 ridges, pretty big too. and there are DH guys there, i saw a guy with a bad ass ellsworth with a 40 and everything.

we are going on another trip soon, if you wanted to meet up and ride shoot me a pm and ill fill you in on the details.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerodark
    I've lived here in Korea for a little while now, and I finally got myself a good bike built up. Now I just need to find some decent DH/FR trails. I'm new to this kind of riding, but I'm one of those people that will try whatever just to have fun. I live really far north... in the Bosan/Dongducheon area, but I can travel south if needed. I just want to find some cool people to ride with. Thanks.

Google "MTBK Korea" which will take you to a Yahoo group that focuses a bit more on XC riding in the Seoul area. Look around that site to find the Filthy Freeriders link. All freeride 24/7. They are also based in the Seoul area. They have trucks for shuttling and livers built for drinking. Lock up your women folk.

≈ > ♥
    Bring us beer, and we'll show you decent trails.
    The better beer you bring, the better the trails we show you.

We usually do beershuttles every Sat, and hit up the odd DH/4X race.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Filthyfreeriders/

≈ > ♥
    Jisan has opened up for weekends.

South Korea's only lift access gravity park, an hour or so south of Seoul at Jisan Forest Resort.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey all, looks like I'm going to be headed out to Osan in about a month. Whats the story with the MTB scene there? Is it worth getting my bike sent out to me?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How long will you be here? What size bike do you ride? If it's for a year or more and your bike is large or bigger, bring it.
    Osan has one killer trail that I've ridden but there are a lot of hikers. I think night riding is popular. More trails are not far away and they have a good group of folks to ride with. The road riding is supposed to be fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The way it is right now, I'm gonna be there for a year, maybe 2 if I decide to extend my tour. Bike is a Giant Reign X, and I figure since good ol' Uncle Sam will be paying for it to be sent out there, I'll probably bring it, I just wanted to make sure there were going to be trails that made it worth while. Its a lot of bike to push around tame trails.

Only problem is I actually don't know where I'm going to be headed. I don't know how many people in here are military, but if you are, I'm headed to the 35th ADA Brigade, based at Osan, Kunsan, Camp Casey, and Camp Carroll. Anyone know any trails around any of those locations? I should be arriving in the beginning of October.

Galvestonian
    I'm looking to meet up with any riders around Humphreys or Osan. Live near Humphreys and work at Osan, so any suggestions are welcome. Riding a Specialized Epic. Thanks.
    Charles

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Look up the Beer Belly Bike Club, http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Beerbellybikeclub/

We ride at Osan (Songtan) and regularly run up to Seoul to ride with the MTB Korea guys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Dang, there's riding in Osan? I'm over in Suwon looking for a place to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybear
    Dang, there's riding in Osan? I'm over in Suwon looking for a place to ride.
    Have you looked at the MTBK Yahoo group yet? If you are in Suwan you are near one of the best trails in Korea, called Horse Mt. There are about 5-7 other English speaking riders in your area.