mtbr member
    Aug 2007

So here I sit in Flatland Beijing China...........

I have been here for a little over a year now, and my brother brought me my whips from the states in December. Really appreciate my younger brother and his support all these years in my cycling, cause without him I might not be as hooked as I am.

The major issue, Beijing is a huge city and I have seen many mountain cycling groups, but none of the web sites are active and the emails are dead. I have what I think is the only 29'er in the city and I dont have anyone to ride with. I have posted up on the social networking sites, but they are just for getting laid, and that is not the problem. I run a restaurant, the kros nest an american style pizza place and work alot. I want to ride, but I dont have a car yet, coming soon. I would love to get some rides in but my only day off is tuesday. I found a guy here that I can ride with on the road, ugh....., but I am dying to get into the woods. When I left the states year before last, december of 2009, I was riding 4-5 days a week and at least a good road trip 2-3 times a month and I am getting fat and am craving the fresh air in the mountains.

Any body got any suggestions?

If you know of someone or a group, drop me a line here, I would love to hear from either, I want to ride my f-ing mountain bike!!!!!!

Marty

1+1
    going for a ride
    One word: Yunnan.

mtbr member
    Dude you really need to move! It doesn't need to be Yunnan, but I'm sure Yunnan does kick ass, but look at a topographical map (Google earth terrain) of China and you'll see most of the country is mountainous, aim for a 2nd or third tier city in a mountainous region. Sure you won't earn as much as Beijing, but the city will be cheaper and you'll have a better quality of life. Millions of kilometers of footpaths and farmers tracks, with mostly no restriction or fences! The bigger cities are too big to escape easily without other transport.

I can clearly see that Yunnan and Sichuan are the premium locations, but you only need a 400 meter (1200 ft) peak to have some serious fun just keep away from the flatter eastern areas like Jiangsu which is a pancake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I cant move, I have heard of Yunnan, but the restaurant is here and we will be taking it to Shang hai, Hong Kong and Taipei, so there are places to ride in HK and Taipei but it will be awhile before we get there, so any suggestions about here, there are mountains north of the city, what I was looking for was clubs or people who ride there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    have you checked 52bike already? the shop is in dongzhimen area.

PS: i miss the huge pizza.

mtbr member
    Google Earth terrain suggests that there are some nice mountains to the West of Beijing outside the 5th ring road. The Jiulong mountains look like they have potential.

I have to ride mostly on my own because I ride AM/FR style and 99% of everyone else rides a 1000-3000 RMB Merida or Giant XC bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lew242
    Google Earth terrain suggests that there are some nice mountains to the West of Beijing outside the 5th ring road. The Jiulong mountains look like they have potential.

I have to ride mostly on my own because I ride AM/FR style and 99% of everyone else rides a 1000-3000 RMB Merida or Giant XC bike.
    Are you in Beijing? I am the same way, I am into all kinds of riding, I excel at XC, but I like anything fun in the biking department. I have a friend here who is looking for a bike now and he wants to start riding, but he doesnt know where the trails are and doesnt have a bike yet. I am looking for other like minded riders who want to put in a good day of riding and then have a few beers afterwards. I had a great group of guys that I hung out with in the states, but havent found that here yet

Marty

mtbr member
    Marty,

I'm in Shandong halfway between Beijing and Shanghai. Some great mountains trails here. If you like XC there are probably many cycle clubs you could join.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lew242
    Marty,

I'm in Shandong halfway between Beijing and Shanghai. Some great mountains trails here. If you like XC there are probably many cycle clubs you could join.

Lew, thanks for the site info, killer page, spent most of the day yesterday just cruising around it, gonna go on a ride tomorrow in the concrete jungle
    Have a great day! Marty

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i`m from korea and study in tsinghua university.
    you can go riding at XiangShan,BaiWangShan and LaoShan. all this mountain have nice trail for mountain bike