Thread: Singaporeans

mtbr member

Singaporeans

Anyone here from Singapore?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Me! Sort of.

I grew up in Singapore, and lived there till 3 years ago, when I left to attend boarding school in America. Now I live in New England, and started seriously biking here. I now mountain bike a ton, with awesome endless trails 5 minutes away, and race on the road for my school.

I used to live near Sixth Avenue, so I have been to the only legit trail in Singapore, Bukit Timah Hill, a number of times on my trips back to Singapore.

One thing I remember about Singaporean riders is that almost all of them have really nice bikes (Custom Merlins, Carbon Fuels, S-Works..). Here are my bikes.

1) 2006 Cannondale Six13 Team 1 with Full Dura-ace, Zero Gravity Ti Brakes, Time RXS Carbon and two wheelsets, Ksyrium SLs and Spinergy Rev-X Carbons.

2) Santa Cruz Chameleon with Sram XO, Fox Talas RLC, Singletracks, King headset, etc..

3) Cannondale Jekyll 800 with Lefty Max, LX/XT parts mix, Hayes Hydraulics with 8" front rotor, etc..

What bikes do you have? Let's see the tropical beasts... =)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by synkronized23
    I grew up in Singapore, and lived there till 3 years ago, when I left to attend boarding school in America. Now I live in New England, and started seriously biking here. I now mountain bike a ton, with awesome endless trails 5 minutes away, and race on the road for my school.

I used to live near Sixth Avenue, so I have been to the only legit trail in Singapore, Bukit Timah Hill, a number of times on my trips back to Singapore.

One thing I remember about Singaporean riders is that almost all of them have really nice bikes (Custom Merlins, Carbon Fuels, S-Works..). Here are my bikes.

1) 2006 Cannondale Six13 Team 1 with Full Dura-ace, Zero Gravity Ti Brakes, Time RXS Carbon and two wheelsets, Ksyrium SLs and Spinergy Rev-X Carbons.

2) Santa Cruz Chameleon with Sram XO, Fox Talas RLC, Singletracks, King headset, etc..

3) Cannondale Jekyll 800 with Lefty Max, LX/XT parts mix, Hayes Hydraulics with 8" front rotor, etc..

What bikes do you have? Let's see the tropical beasts... =)

Wow! Good stuff. I do not have pictures (yet), but I have a 1996 Cannondale M900, a 2006 Kona Jake The Snake, 2005 Kona Stuff and a 2005 Lemond Chambery. Most of them are stock (for now), other than the Cannondale.

On a side note, did you get used to the summer all year round weather?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SGGuy
    Wow! Good stuff. I do not have pictures (yet), but I have a 1996 Cannondale M900, a 2006 Kona Jake The Snake, 2005 Kona Stuff and a 2005 Lemond Chambery. Most of them are stock (for now), other than the Cannondale.

On a side note, did you get used to the summer all year round weather?

Nice. Did you get your lemond at Treknology 3? I know the owner. I got my first ever bike as a child (a Klein hardtail), and then bought a 2004 Trek Fuel 95 from him two summers ago. They have some nice bikes. So do you mountain bike a lot there?

I got used to the cold winters here.. I actually prefer the varied weather here to the constant blazing heat in Singapore..

mtbr member
    Nice. Did you get your lemond at Treknology 3? I know the owner. I got my first ever bike as a child (a Klein hardtail), and then bought a 2004 Trek Fuel 95 from him two summers ago. They have some nice bikes. So do you mountain bike a lot there?

I got used to the cold winters here.. I actually prefer the varied weather here to the constant blazing heat in Singapore..

Yes! I got my Lemond at Trek3, as they are the Lemond/Trek/Gary Fisher/Marin dealer. I got my 1996 Cannondale M900 from them too.

I road bike more actually...cos in Singapore, its quite hard to find trails. Unless one goes up north to Malaysia.

I stayed in Melbourne, Australia for 3 years as well..and definitely prefer the cooler weather too!

mtbr member
    Double post, sorry!
    Last edited by SGGuy; 02-04-2006 at 02:04 AM.

banned
    I recognize that...Here is mine all the way from Albuquerque, USA

and...my Spez

I thought I was the only one on the planet with this "SoBe Replica" Jekyll
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 03-01-2006 at 08:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I am planning to spend the last week of September in Singapore. Is Bukit TImah worth a look? If so, are there any shops in Singapore I can hire a couple of bikes from. I will be staying in Sambewang, not that distance is a problem in Singapore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I'm from Singapore too. Just returned from the MTB Himachal 2006 in Himachal Pradesh, India.

I ride a strange bike - Blur LT black anodized front with a powdercoated Blur Classic rear triangle. The anodized front was a warranty replacement due to a crack around the seat tube of my Blur Classic.

There are about 7 areas to ride in Singapore. Some are legal, others not so.

There will be one additional technical trail coming up soon, the Kent Ridge MTB Trail.

I too live close to 6th Ave so BT is right at my doorstep.

jzt
    mtbr member
    If any of you happen to swing by Singapore - come by and check out the riding in Malaysia too, just a short drive up north. We have, like, a zillion times more land area!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hello guys!

I'm relocating to SG in about a month's time, originally from the Philippines. Read in the trail reviews that the only "true" mtb trail is Bukit Timah, is this accurate?

I'm also planning to get a place in the Upper Bukit Timah area so I guess this trail will be easily accesible.

Do you regularly ride on weekends? Hope to meet you guys soon and be part of the SG riding community!

mtbr member
    where abouts is good for xc riding in Malaysia? Somewhere in Johor?

always been keen on venturing out but have no idea where to start...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nathanbal:

Malaysia has tons of riding possibilites. Johor, around KL, Penang, etc... Perhaps one of the Malaysians can help you.

x14pro:

Bukit Timah MTB trail is one of the few true MTB trails in Singapore. The other one is Kent Ridge. Currently, some folks I know are in the process of creating a new trail on Pulau Ubin with the help of IMBA. That should be quite nice to ride. Other trails are T15, Butterfly, Ulu Sembawang, Tampines, and Pulau Ubin. You could probably string together a ride lasting about 35kms if you know how. Go to the local MTB website at http://www.togoparts.com for more info.

mtbr member
    i do BT and T15 every weekend... i was looking for something different (hopefully longer and more difficult... in Johor). butterfly is now off limits isnt it?

i am also on togoparts quite a bit - just wanted to hedge my bets and see if i could some additional info!

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bummer
    nathanbal:

Malaysia has tons of riding possibilites. Johor, around KL, Penang, etc... Perhaps one of the Malaysians can help you.

x14pro:

Bukit Timah MTB trail is one of the few true MTB trails in Singapore. The other one is Kent Ridge. Currently, some folks I know are in the process of creating a new trail on Pulau Ubin with the help of IMBA. That should be quite nice to ride. Other trails are T15, Butterfly, Ulu Sembawang, Tampines, and Pulau Ubin. You could probably string together a ride lasting about 35kms if you know how. Go to the local MTB website at http://www.togoparts.com for more info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nathanbal:

See if you can find someone to take you to Plentong in JB, or Batu Dam outside of KL. Also Google for Penang Jamboree rides, and Kajang PCC rides. Try the overseas bike hashes to Bintan or Karimun islands.

mtbr member
    so, i gather there is not much gravity-biking in singapore...?
    [SIZE="3"]22 PRIDE[/SIZE]
    jack the house

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RoccoKlein
    so, i gather there is not much gravity-biking in singapore...?
    There is.... it just doesn't last very long...

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by RoccoKlein
    ... so, i gather there is not much gravity-biking in singapore ...
    If the highest piece of upslope is a 'hill', you cannot expect too much ...

I used to live in SIN (age 8 - 18) ... Worked there for 3 yrs ... From across the border (north) ... Moved to UK about 4 years now. Took up mtbking last July ... since then, got a GT 100mm travel HT, then stripped it .... sold some parts and got some new ones ... ta da ...

20070901 yeti arc 69er HTR 02 mtbr forum.jpg

wyrd bi ful rd
    now i just need to build this up ...

20070927 nicolai helius frame mtbr forum.jpg

Flying Goat
    I grew up in Malaysia... close enough??? Havent been back in 2 years cause of school... Wanna see what the riding there is like as i started riding out here in NorCal... XD

Me landing a 15 foot gap hipjump...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jzt
    If any of you happen to swing by Singapore - come by and check out the riding in Malaysia too, just a short drive up north. We have, like, a zillion times more land area!
    so where are the closest malaysian dh spots to singapore and how far are they?

thanks
    [SIZE="3"]22 PRIDE[/SIZE]
    jack the house