mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Singaporean riders HELP!

Hello to everyone reading this post … I’m a Canadian MTB rider interested in buying a bike from a supplier in Singapore. The reason for my post is that I am not familiar with the supplier and have not been able to confirm their legitimacy. Apparently this is a new shop that deals in high end frames/bikes at some incredible prices. There is no official website for this store and they only accept wire transfer as payment which forces me to be very cautious.

I would like to appeal to any of the Singaporean cycling brothers out there for some help. If any of you can go and check this store out and let me know if they actually have the bike I want to buy in stock, it would be greatly appreciated. I realize this will not guarantee I will not be scammed, however, it would be more reassuring if someone can independently confirm at least the store and the bike actually exist.

STORE: “Bike One Store” located at 688 Telok Kurau Road, Singapore, ZIP 423803

BIKE: “2009 BMC Trailfox 02 Complete Bike” in a “LARGE” size.

Thank you,
    Bogdan

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan
    Hello to everyone reading this post … I’m a Canadian MTB rider interested in buying a bike from a supplier in Singapore. The reason for my post is that I am not familiar with the supplier and have not been able to confirm their legitimacy. Apparently this is a new shop that deals in high end frames/bikes at some incredible prices. There is no official website for this store and they only accept wire transfer as payment which forces me to be very cautious.

I would like to appeal to any of the Singaporean cycling brothers out there for some help. If any of you can go and check this store out and let me know if they actually have the bike I want to buy in stock, it would be greatly appreciated. I realize this will not guarantee I will not be scammed, however, it would be more reassuring if someone can independently confirm at least the store and the bike actually exist.

STORE: “Bike One Store” located at 688 Telok Kurau Road, Singapore, ZIP 423803

BIKE: “2009 BMC Trailfox 02 Complete Bike” in a “LARGE” size.

Thank you,
    Bogdan
    Do they have a phone number? If not it's probably a scam. There is a recent case where someone claiming to be a Singapore fishing equipment supplier ripping off an Aussie over 30k. I have this gut feeling you came across this via alibaba.com??? The aussie who got scam also met the supplier on that site.

The only bike shop I know along that road is

AttitudeBikes Pte Ltd
    118 Telok Kurau Road
    Singapore 423803
    Tel: +65 6344 4579
    Fax: +65 6344 8436

Monday to Saturday
    http://www.attitudebikes.com

You might want to give them a call and ask if the shop you mentioned exists.

According to the map of the locality, 688 don't seem to exist, the largest unit at the end of Telok Kurau runs only to 4xx as shown in the link below(see unit 399 in the pic).
    http://maps.google.com.sg/maps?f=q&s...126.25,,1,9.96

Try to fish out more specific info from them ie building name, business registration number and phone/fax numbers.
    I ran the address you provide through the local postal code finder below and got nothing. Highest number that return a positive hit is 405, Telok Kurau.
    http://www.singpost.com.sg/quick_services/index.htm

IMHO, 99.9% Scam....I'll check out with the local authorities tomorrow on this too.

To my knowledge, high end parts prices in Singapore can't be cheap. The cost of importing them from Europe and America and local import taxes automatically means "NOT CHEAP".

Hope this helps
    Last edited by BBoy; 04-28-2010 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hi BBoy and thank you for your reply. As I was reading your comments I begun to realize you and I think a lot alike ...

Quote Originally Posted by BBoy
    Do they have a phone number?
    Yes. The number is 65-61320658 and the contact's name is Mr. Michele Yasmin. I have not yet called because I was leaving it for a later stage (I am in no hurry). At the moment I am only communicating via e-mail and trying to do my research/due diligence.

I have this gut feeling you came across this via alibaba.com???
    Yes again. Your gut feeling is 100% right. From what I gather there are so many scammers on Alibaba they might as well change the name to The40Thieves.com

The only bike shop I know along that road is AttitudeBikes Pte Ltd ...

You might want to give them a call and ask if the shop you mentioned exists.
    Yes ... I found out about AttitudeBikes and e-mailed them. This is where things got interesting and possibly the reason why I'm still investigating. They are the ones who told me that Bike One Store is a new shop and they don't know much about it other than it has nice stuff.

Just like you, I searched Google maps and thought the 688 TK address and physical map location did not seem to match. When I searched by the ZIP code alone, the marker appeared to be a lot closer to the AttitudeBikes location ... as a matter of fact, the ZIP codes for both shops is the same!

Try to fish out more specific info from them ie building name, business registration number and phone/fax numbers.
    I requested the business registration as well as some pictures of the shop and the bike, but he either missed it, or is omitting it. The other possibility may be a bit of a language barrier, but I also know scammers tend to be vague and elusive with that kind of information.

IMHO, 99.9% Scam....I'll check out with the local authorities tomorrow on this too.
    Your gut might be right again ... and that is why my gut tells me to investigate all possibilities before committing to anything. Hoping for that 0.1% may be overly optimistic of me, but that's just me ... optimistic, but not stupid.

To my knowledge, high end parts prices in Singapore can't be cheap. The cost of importing them from Europe and America and local import taxes automatically means "NOT CHEAP".
    I know for a fact that the frames for this particular BMC bike was manufactured in Taiwan. Also the components are slightly below the original spec, but this exact package was being offered by an American company for what was an amazing low price too (100% legit). I missed that chance, but those are some reasons to make me think this could be real.

Anyway BBoy ... thanks again for your feedback and hopefully you might have some more news for me. I really appreciate it a lot.

Bogdan

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I looked at the company profile....
    101-500 workers? Don't see any building along that road can house that amount.

Company with 50-100US million annual turnover will have a proper website at least, with all the pride and glory of the company singing 50-100US million annual turnover.

I went down today and there's no 688 Telok Kurau. Highest unit number is 405 and it's a residential.

Possible to get the supplier wired account number? It'll help a lot in tracking him down.

I've emailed to the local authorities, got auto reply saying they'll look into it and an IO will contact me later. Hell with these scammers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You are right BBoy ... things don't quite add up when you look at the info available so far. The thing that kept some hope alive for me (and motivated me to investigate further) was the e-mail reply I got from Walton at AttitudeBikes.com:

"They have only been around for less then half a year, we have not met the new shop owner, pretty decent shop but not much reputation at the moment and are not known to be specialize in any fields at the moment."

In case the company address information on Alibaba.com is incorrect, I would presume from Walton's reply that at least there is another bike shop nearby and that he is aware of its existence. I am not sure if you'd want to check it out - I don't want you to go out of your way for this - but I imagine if you'd walk into Attitude Bikes and talk to Walton he should at least be able to direct you to this other shop, whether it is indeed Bike One Store or not.

Anyway, I am waiting for some more information and based on that I will contact Mr. Michele Yasmin to get the account details for the wire transfer. Even then I will not do anything until I feel reasonably secure, but I could pass on the account information if you think you can get some information on it. The biggest laugh would be if he provides me a personal account!

Thanks again for all your help ... very curious to see where this leads!

Bogdan

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I did attempt to find the address physically today but no luck at all.

I'll drop by Walton's this weekend and ask for exact location. Keep u posted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I did attempt to find the address physically today but no luck at all.

I'll drop by Walton's this weekend and ask for exact location. Keep u posted.

Hey BBoy ... any updates?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hey, I ask around the local forum as well my cycling friends. None heard of it.

Considering the size of the workforce and annual turnover, surely such standout stats will be relatively known among the community.

The IO from police department called and say there's no such address or company listed. Thx me for the info and will investigate further.

IMHO, avoid the company and alibaba.com.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    ... IMHO, avoid the company and alibaba.com.
    That seems to make the most sense, although I'd still be curious to know what Walton at AttitudeBikes was referring to in his e-mail.

BBoy, thanks a bunch for checking into this for me ... much appreciated. If you ever make your way by AttitudeBikes and find out what Walton meant, I hope you post, or PM me again ... I hate unsolved mysteries! LOL!!!

mtbr member
    Attn: all Singaporean riders,

I'm heading over on Thursday for some bike industry stuff. Anywhere to ride there? I'll be able to grab a bike, so if you're still around and know some trails, let me know.

Cheers.
    One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name.

mtbr member
    Also, anyone know somewhere good in Singapore to grab a beer and watch the TDF? Knocking back beers in my hotel alone is probably a recipe for disaster.
    One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name.

I Void Waranties
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchmonkey
    Also, anyone know somewhere good in Singapore to grab a beer and watch the TDF? Knocking back beers in my hotel alone is probably a recipe for disaster.
    yeah PM me when u are here. There are a big variety of riding to be done here. Bring ur jump bike or trail bike...ill show u the beer spots too.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

another Singapore "dealer"

Dead thread I know, but I'm in the same situation. Hope I can get the same help.
    The name of the website is Cabiks. From what I have found they have been around since 2006, with a listed contact address in Jakarta. The contact info is as follows:

Roxy Mas Blok E4/20
    Jakarta, Jakarta Pusat 10120
    Indonesia
    Tel: 622180287156
    Certificates: ISO 9001:2000
    Number of staff: 5-9

Seems legit but thought I would do some fishing, as there prices seem very good, and thats a long way to send money. Thanks in advance.
    Thanks Joe

*Sorry wrong thread* will leave up for the local riders to see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    *nope right thread* so what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Cabiks Scam Site

Hey Javajoe
    don't even consider using Cabiks. Major Scam Site. You will pay your money and the only thing you will receive is a Bank Statement showing you to be out of pocket.
    Found this site mentioned on another forum. Seems like they have been around for quite a while but under several different names but bank details always the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks, kinda thought it was too good to be true, glad I held off.