fear this

Riding around Rishikesh, India

I'm going to be taking a sabbatical this summer and am interested in mountain biking near Rishikesh mainly because I want to ride up to the Badrinath and Kedernath temples. Does anyone know where to dig for more detailed information about the trails, weather, and other relevant info?
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie, some goodies to lighten 'er up

singletrack mind
    i'd be wary of trying to ride the char dam. to be honest i've only been to gangotri, but the road up is lethal; extremely narrow with very fast buses taking blind corners with inches to spare from open drops. i really wouldn't like to cycle that road, and i suspet up to badri and keder aren't much better. from memory, it looked like there wouldn't have been much space for trails, as it was quite gorge-like at times.. also, once you're off the road and on the final trails that lead to the river's source, there are so many pilgrims that you can't really bike without impinging on a lot of people. again, the above is all about gangotri, so maybe the others are more reasonable, i'm kind of extrapolating. if you've been up to the others before you know more than me.

anyway summer is monsoon, so riding could be a bit dodgy. judging from how brown the ganga gets around rishikesh, i think there's a lot of mud happening.

that said i really don't want to sound so discouraging, i'm sure there is a lot of fantastic trail in uttaranchal. around almora could be really nice. alternatively check out the hiking trail from uttaranchal to himachal, or to avoid the monsoon go up to spiti valley in himachal. i liked it there, and think there could be some really nice riding. it's all high altitude desert, tibetan culture. i crossed a 5km pass into kinnaur, and i'd say you could ride a lot of what i walked. very nice....

apart from spiti valley any info i have is pretty general, sorry if it's not useful. drop a line if you consider riding spiti though..
    Alas, that the longest hill
    Must end in a vale

Henry Charles Beeching 1859-1919

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Such potential

I've done some exploration around Rishikesh and Rajaji NP, but in general I've found the terrain is either too flat or too mountainous... Making a flowing XC track really hard to find. It seems that if you had enough time you might be able to string together some great rides, but I have yet to really commit to exploration. If you're around Delhi, we've got a lot of trail set up though!