ryori no tetsujin

Newbie to Hokkaido Japan

I am moving to Otofuke Hokkaido Japan in a few weeks and I just wanted to give a shout out to any other people who might be living near there. I am looking to get into some riding, but I need to buy a new bike first. It is time to upgrade and the shipping will kill me. Anyone know of some good shops to check out? How about any trails or areas that I should look into?

Oh yeah, I am a certified snowboard instructor so anyone that wanting lessons... I am always willing to trade whether it is beer or showing me around the mountain bike scene

Thanks for everything!
    Mr. Shorty

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Mr Shorty.

Hokkaido has some great riding, and some great boarding. Well, it had great riding until a typhoon took down a lot of trees last year. It's nigh on impossible to ride single track any more, unless it's been cleared by someone. There is quite a bit being opened up around Sapporo, where I live, but it's taking time. Drop me a line if you are visiting and we can show you around if I'm not working.

The best place to buy moutain bikes in Hokkaido would most definitely be in Sapporo. Outside that, you're on your own. I prefer Ono Cycles (N3 W24 ?) for great advice, good selection, and great service. Talk to Hayashi san if you can. His English is as bad as my Japanese but he has a desire to communicate that will get you both around language technicalities (if you match that desire and patience). There is another shop called Road Kids, which some people like, but Ono has a wider selection and I simply can't fault their service. If you go to Ono and talk to Hayashi san, tell him I recommended Ono.

Good luck. You'll enjoy Japan/Hokkaido if you approach it with an open mind and try to see things from outside your own cultural point of view. That's easier said than done for newbies in another culture, but once you understand that your own cultural norms are only norms in your country, you can start to appreciate that the rest of the world simply doesn't work the same.

Have fun. I think it's a great place to live.