just ride

Neng Gao Shan - maps or information?

I visit Taiwan about 3 times per year on business, and I like to ride there as much as I can. I typically ride on the road, commute to work, or go ride in the mountain roads on the weekend.

I was going to ride Neng Gao Trail in November, but my Taiwanese friend backed out because he thinks it is too dangerous. So, I need some help with information.

Most of what I can find is for the 12k climb from Hwy 14 up to the hut, and then back down. I would prefer to make a longer trip, and have someone drop me on highway 14, then I would like to ride to Hualien to catch the train back to Taipei.

Has anyone here rode the entire trail to Hualien? If so, how long did it take? Are there any maps of the whole thing? My Mandarin is pretty poor, I only know a few basic words, and I can only read a handful of characters.
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    I visit Taiwan about 3 times per year on business, and I like to ride there as much as I can. I typically ride on the road, commute to work, or go ride in the mountain roads on the weekend.

I was going to ride Neng Gao Trail in November, but my Taiwanese friend backed out because he thinks it is too dangerous. So, I need some help with information.

Most of what I can find is for the 12k climb from Hwy 14 up to the hut, and then back down. I would prefer to make a longer trip, and have someone drop me on highway 14, then I would like to ride to Hualien to catch the train back to Taipei.

Has anyone here rode the entire trail to Hualien? If so, how long did it take? Are there any maps of the whole thing? My Mandarin is pretty poor, I only know a few basic words, and I can only read a handful of characters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Nenggao

We just did it yesterday - I would not recommend riding solo, since it is remote and there are some large landslides. Check route information and practicalities here:

heresjonny.com/blog/2011/07/16/nenggao-the-return