Thread: MTB in India?

brazilian biker

New question here. MTB in India?

I have a business trip to India that will take around 2 to 3 months. I'm going to stay in Bellary, Karnataka (Southern), so here are my questions:

1. Has anybody here ridden in India and would give me some advices?

2. Are there any trails for Mountain Biking? If not, what about Urban Biking, is that fine there?

3. Can I find reasonable bike shops or should I take my Kona with me?

Thanks!

singletrack mind
    never ridden in india, but i reckon you might be able to find a shop or two in bangalore, karnataka. i doubt you'd find more than basic parts though. for sure you should be able to find loads of trails (dense rural populations mean an awful lot of trails), just think about bringing a few spares. if you're into trials, i'd say hampi in northern karnataka would be insane. the hills around kodagu could be interesting too.... i hope to ride some trails in india at some point too, let me know if you find anything good
    Alas, that the longest hill
    Must end in a vale

Henry Charles Beeching 1859-1919

brazilian biker
    Hi Guys!

Just a quick feedback as just came back from India few weeks ago and I'm glad that I didn't take my bike with me. Along many reasons that I wouldn't ride there, the main one was the high temperatures (around 105F) and also for safety. I was in a very remote place and it would be hard to get help if needed. As for bike shops, the closest ones were over 1h away and just for commuting bikes.

I guess a MTB trip within a group would be awsome there, but I would recomend a good guide service because even the cabs get lost all the time around the villages.

Concerning Urban Riding, forget that! Probably you need to born in India to ride in the towns around cars, people, motorcycles, cows, dogs and others... ;-)

Cheers!