mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Moving to Mumbai

Soon to be moving from Cape Town South Africa ( loads of trails, 3 million people spread over large area) to Mumbai India ( 20 million squashed together). I'm assuming that I should leave my trusty steed here and not bother taking it but just HAD to ask just in case someone knows differently. What do you think??? It'll be a wrench to leave my bike (Giant Trance X3) since it was a 2009 Xmas present from my hubby. I know that cycling on the road is not recommended but is there anywhere within a few hours drive to mountain bike?
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Mumbai has some great trails in the vicinity... 1-2 hour rides by car to reach them..
    Places like the IIT Campus & the Rajiv Gandhi National Park within city limits are also great places to ride.

Cycling on the road is totally fine once you get accustomed to the local driving styles
    Don't leave your bike behind.. you'll have fun for sure!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

In the nick of time

My packers are in today and tomorrow and I just saw your reply! Thanks for the information ..... I may leave bikes behind and check out your suggestions, then possibly bring at Christmas ......or should i just take them? Darn it, now i have a decision to make! What are the trails like? Down hill sections? Busy?
    Cheers
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Packed bikes, will see them in 4 weeks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    These trails aren't exactly your regular MTB tracks that you'd find in the west. They are mostly singletrack paths that people use to get from point A to point B quicker :P

The MTBing culture as a recreational hobby is just emerging in India and is nowhere near as advanced as it is in the more developed nations. www.bikeszone.com has a very nice budding little forum for Indian cyclists.

Posting your queries there is sure to attract a lot more responses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I do single track down -hilling with my two boys here in South Africa but the trials are great here i have to say, so we are probably a bit spoiled . Nevertheless ... maybe we'll blaze a few trails and something is better than nothing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Did you get to Bombay yet?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

... and if we just ... Bombay

Leaving on the 3rd of April. Container with our stuff should clear customs within 2 weeks of our arrival. You know I even took out a bed to fit the bikes in ... dedication or what?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    awesome! hope u have a great time cycling in the city.. im also from mumbai and just starting off after a long gap.. been unfit.. there\'s a sudden demand for biking locally.. everyone seems to be taking to it.. dealers cant get enough stock.. everything sells off the stores in no time.. my bikes gonna take another week to get here... if u need any help at all please do let me know. i can help u out with service and spares if needed. cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Moving to Mumbai January 2012

I'm moving to Mumbai January 2012 from Anchorage AK. How did your last year go for MTB? Did you find any trails in Gandhi Natl Park?
    No skiing or snowmobiling so I will pick up riding again. Any thoughts on types of trails are out there and type of ride to bring?
    Currently have a hard tail but was looking to get FS for trails. Packers coming soon.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Travel India

Mumbai is a great city,a lot of people live in there.I like very much...
    Planning Vietnam trips on my bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    well I've found some trails on google earth and the rides have been very interesting. Where do you ride in India?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Moving to Mumbai

Hi, I'm moving to Mumbai, bringing the MTB with me, did you guys manage to find any good rides? I'll be there in August, I love an early Sat morning ride if you guys want to hook up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    oh,i love Mumbai city,a lot of people live in there.I like very much...Mumbai is a great city

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was surprised and encouraged to see this thread. I am an avid mountain biker living in San Francisco, about to move to Mumbai myself for a year. I was debating whether to mothball my mountain bike, or bring it with. Has anyone had any more luck finding trails in the area that are ridable, free of tigers, etc? (I'm only sort-of kidding about the tigers) Any info on riding communities and good shops would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    hi has anyone found any half decent trail in Mumbai, i'm here for three years and have brought my bikes. I have transport big enough to fit four bikes if anyone want to ride at the weekend

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm on the ground now.. I have the MTB with me, now in search of trails. If I find any I'll let you know.