Anytime. Anywhere.

Mountain Bike Thailand

I will retire in a few years and my wife and I will settle in Chiang Mai. I have been there a few times and love it but never got the chance to go riding. I have been researching it and thought that others might like to see the videos that I've found. Looks pretty good, especially around Chiang Mai. Some aren't the best quality but you get the idea.

Khao I-to chin cam Thailand from Tony Ewart on Vimeo.

GoPro Ride II(Jet-Kod DH) from akeltoss on Vimeo.

GoPro Ride(Jet-kod DH) from akeltoss on Vimeo.

Last edited by Travis Bickle; 12-30-2010 at 11:44 AM.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

KPH
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good videos - it is a shame there are no good gps files for all the above.

Yesterday I went to the Khao-Ito track and the video just really doesn't do it justice.... Really good trails, though the 1 hours slogg to the top was difficult in 34 degree heat and blazing sun...

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Found some more and it looks good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for posting the videos. My wife is Thai and I've wanted to bring a bike with when I go for vacation. Her friends are over at the house now and know the area some of these videos were shot....interesting!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Man, watching those videos brings me back to my Chiang Mai mountain biking trip at the end of 2009. I definitely need to get back out there again. Thankfully, winter months here out west = best riding conditions there.
    The new Energy Bar - CocoNutz Fuel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Also, does anyone out there know if there is a quality mountain biking scene in Chiang Rai? As much as I love the biking in CM, getting a little more off the beaten path up in Chiang Rai is appealing and I'd like to know if any companies out there are pretty good for showing you trails / providing decent bikes?
    The new Energy Bar - CocoNutz Fuel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hi,

These are really attractive videos, Thailand has been in the mass tourism spotlight for quite some time, there are still plenty of places to cycle and not see any of the downsides that tourism can bring to a region. In other words, there are still plenty of places near the over-developed places that are very worth visiting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am a Bangkok based rider If anyone out there is riding regularly in Thailand please PM me if you are interested to share rides/ route info

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Any Interest In Overnight Bike Tour?

Hi,

Is anyone interested in bike tours of
    the beautiful landscape that Thailand
    has to offer?

I am from Australia and visiting Thailand in October
    to do a yoga retreat in Koh Yao Noi. And afterU
    that I was interested in doing an overnight bike
    tour through Amazing Bike Tours.

My desire is to do the 3 day cycle tour of
    Khao*Sok National Park.

I can't include the link but go to
    amazingbiketoursthailand.asia/khaosok.php

The Khao Sok & Cheow Lan Lake Adventure is on during
    the following dates. 16th-18th October

Amazing Bike Tours requires a minimum of
    two people to put on a tour. I am very interested
    and thought I would start this thread in the
    hope I could reach out to others who would be
    interested as well and therefore the tour would be
    put on by Amazing Bike Tours.

Please get in touch if you are interested.

All the best.

Marc

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How easy it is to find these tracks once in CM ?
    I started thinking to do 1 month trip to CM this november but i cant go trough tour operators, costs too much money to cycle with them. Or is there some local club etc where one can find cycling buddies ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm spending Christmas and New Years in Chiang Mai mountain biking. Any tips? GPS tracks? Company?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Contact this operator. Chiang Mai Mountain Biking - Programs, Schedule and Rates - Tables They take loads of riders up the mountain each days. You can hire the bikes there too but the condition of the bikes are not very good, so bring your own. There are tons of trails and the longest DH trail is almost 20km. The weather now is perfect for riding in Chiangmai!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TANK01 View Post
    Contact this operator. Chiang Mai Mountain Biking - Programs, Schedule and Rates - Tables They take loads of riders up the mountain each days. You can hire the bikes there too but the condition of the bikes are not very good, so bring your own. There are tons of trails and the longest DH trail is almost 20km. The weather now is perfect for riding in Chiangmai!
    Thank you for the information!

Our problem, when previously biking in Asia, has been that we tend to leave our guides behind on the climbs and then have to wait for them to catch up. So that's something we're looking to avoid this time. Both my friend and I ride a lot of competitions.

Also, we're looking for cross-countri mtb riding, not downhill. So we want to ride up the hills, not ride a truck

Do you know how the availability is of spare parts and bike service in the area?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Change of plans. Mostly due to the air quality my wife and I decided to retire to Cumberland BC instead of Chiangmai. Riding here is some of the best in the world but it's no Thailand. Air quality is great though. We will go to visit and my bike is coming along.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerdude View Post

Our problem, when previously biking in Asia, has been that we tend to leave our guides behind on the climbs and then have to wait for them to catch up. So that's something we're looking to avoid this time. Both my friend and I ride a lot of competitions.

Also, we're looking for cross-countri mtb riding, not downhill. So we want to ride up the hills, not ride a truck

Do you know how the availability is of spare parts and bike service in the area?
    In that case you probable best off riding with local XC riders. I'm leaving to Chiangmai this Sat!

BTW, anyone plaining to ride Doi Suthep and Doi Pui this new year holiday, you can not drive your private vehicle up the mountain due to traffic congestion. You can only go up by public transportation "Red Truck or Rod Dang".

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    We ended up riding Chiang Mai for about 12 days, Chiang Dao 2 days and Ciang Rai 3 days. Very nice! Fun riding!

Mae Jo Race Course, outside Chiang Mai, was a lot of fun. Also the mountain to the nw of Chaing Mai.

Chiang Dao, even though nice nature, was a bit boring.

Chiang Rai had a super single track crossing a mountain to the west of the town.

All our rides are on Strava if anyone is interested

Sloth Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerdude View Post

Not much cross country riding here that I have found. Mostly DH stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Change of plans. Mostly due to the air quality my wife and I decided to retire to Cumberland BC instead of Chiangmai. Riding here is some of the best in the world but it's no Thailand. Air quality is great though. We will go to visit and my bike is coming along.
    Good decision. I'm not real impressed with living here.. been here 1 year now and can't say that I'm blown away with the place... Love the summers in Seattle, but can't hang the rest of the year...
    Considering living in Tucson for the winter and summer PNW.
    Might just abandon the whole thailand thing... frustrating trying to get stuff here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    reviving an old thread, sorry... I'm headed to Thailand next week for my honeymoon and I'd like to get a day of riding in while in Chiang Mai. I'm fling in from the states and obviously I'm not bringing my own bike to ride one day. I ride a trek remedy 8 as my everyday trail bike; is there anywhere in CM that rents decent/newish gear? Not super concerned with the cost, as it's a once-in-a-lifetime kinda trip. I just want to be on a bike that's up to par with what I'm used to riding. I found the Mountain Bike Chiang Mai tours; are they a good outfitter to go with? I'll be riding solo as the fiance isn't so much into riding bikes in the woods, so friendly and knowledgeable guides who like to rip the downhills. Any help, suggestions, etc greatly appreciated!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I would check out these guys. Downhill Mountain Biking in Chiangmai They have a good reputation from what I've read.

Have fun.