two wheel whore

JAPAN! Hokkaido in particular!!!

Hey guys,

Looking for some people with experiences with mtb in Japan. I figured I would ship a cheap Hardrock over there, as I visit every summer for a couple of weeks. I think they'll allow me to carry it onto the train as I want to hit up the surrounding cities around my town; my hometown is 1 hr north of Kushiro.

I ran a search and saw some guys in the Sapporo area...which is on the either side of the island. I figured it'd be cheaper to buy a bike here in the states, and have it shipped over there. I've got a few months (I go in July/Aug) to plan this out.

There definitely isn't a bike shop where I live. Probably in Kushiro, but I figure it'd cost an arm and a leg for a decent one.

Everyone likes pictures, so I'll show you what I'll be trying to tame:

Jo-dan jo-dan. Not really trying to take on the 2 spiders. But in the first picture, you can see the ski resort in the distance, 2nd picture trails supposively exist around the volcanic pit.

domo,
    Ick

mtbr member
    Bikes are definitely more expensive in Japan than the US. But there are plenty of used bikes being sold on the Japanese yahoo auctions site, so it might be worth checking out. I just picked up an old (2002) Ellsworth Dare on that site for 15万円; which I don't think is too overpriced. You need a Japanese credit card to bid over 5千円 though. If shipping from the US isn't ridiculously expensive; I guess it could be the best option.

Looks like the trails around that volcano would be awesome! Good luck finding em.

1+1
    going for a ride
    I'm interested. Where's the best place in Hokkaido to ride?

two wheel whore
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1
    I'm interested. Where's the best place in Hokkaido to ride?
    Kind of a late reply, but I found this online:

http://www.mtbhokkaido.net/

It's in Furano. I've always wanted to go there to see the flowers anyways.

I did take my old Rockhopper over there this past May.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just saw this. I know a lot of places to go riding, but usually places where i go training. If anybody comes to Sapporo, let me know. I'll be here for another year, or more if I find a job after graduating.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Oh Man, looks beautiful. I got to get up further north. I'm in the 新潟 area, we ride local stuff and head over to 福島 as well but I don't know if the trails are named since I never see any signs and just follow the group rides. I was riding mostly road but I have an MTB and our local shop has guys that ride both so the two groups leave around the same time and then meet up after the rides for beers or whatever. With all the snow lately I have been MTB'ing it to the gym. A trip up to 札幌 later this year would rock. If any of your dudes come down and do 佐渡 this year I'll be the guy trying to do it on knobbies this year. I did it on my roadie the past 3 and I think I want to give the mtb a shot this year.