Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Japan Based Riders!

Are there any Japan based riders on this forum?

Although I live in Tokyo, I ride in the Kanto area, primarily in Guma and Nagano Preferecture. i am always looking for new trails and other riders to ride with...

Is there anyone out there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Nagano Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo M3

Although I live in Tokyo, I ride in the Kanto area, primarily in Guma and Nagano Preferecture. i am always looking for new trails and other riders to ride with...

Hey there! I live in Nagano city and I'm trying to find some riding friends. I've benn doing some local stuff, but interested in new places. Sorry I don't have much beta on rides around here, but I'm finding a few. Do you snowboard or ski?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm in Japan, but I'm no where near the Nagano area, I'm live in the Yokosuka.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WeylessXPRider
    I'm in Japan, but I'm no where near the Nagano area, I'm live in the Yokosuka.
    Hi Guys, I regulary ride in the Zushi/Yokosuka area. Check out the trail review section on this website, Asia and pacific/Japan. There are some trails that I ride there.
    Recently I went to hakone and found some nice singletrack around Lake Ashinoko.
    If you want any more details, then mail me.
    Bobbysix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Sapporo Rocks

Hey,
    I'm up in Sapporo and the riding is sick. I'd go as far as to say it's better than a lot of the riding I used to do back in Uni in Vermont. Hokkaido is a rare paradise in the concrete jungle of Japan. Niseko is just getting it's foot in the door with summer mountain biking too. Give it a year or two and it may be THE spot for riding in Japan. Move North! I spent three year's in Hiroshima struggling to find anything even tolerable. There's too much to ride here, I don't have enough free time

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo M3

Hello, I live in Tokyo too (near Ikebukuro) and me tto, I'm looking for other riders. Actually, I don't ride a lot, not because I have no time, not because I have no bike, but just because 1) I dont really know where to go... 2) I don't have a car and it is a problem for going outside tokyo. Or maybe by train but I never did. I have a GT i-drive. I'm not a pro, not a beginner, just intermediate (don't be affraid if my English is not perfect it is just because I'm French). Laurent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Nagano Rides

Quote Originally Posted by danielpaul
    Hey there! I live in Nagano city and I'm trying to find some riding friends. I've benn doing some local stuff, but interested in new places. Sorry I don't have much beta on rides around here, but I'm finding a few. Do you snowboard or ski?
    Mail me or phone if you want to get some rides in Nagano
    Brett 090 9359 8870
    brett@dirtybike.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Tokyo area

Hi,

I live in Tokrozawa (Seibu-Ikebukuro Line) and wanted to know if anyone knew of trails nearby. I read there were supposed to be some trails out near the Seibu Dome and Sayama Lake, but I haven't found them yet. If anyone knows of any or other trails nearby (maybe Hanno-Chichibu area) that would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RioGrande
    Hi,

I live in Tokrozawa (Seibu-Ikebukuro Line) and wanted to know if anyone knew of trails nearby. I read there were supposed to be some trails out near the Seibu Dome and Sayama Lake, but I haven't found them yet. If anyone knows of any or other trails nearby (maybe Hanno-Chichibu area) that would be great.

Thanks,

Chris
    Hiya Chris,

I live in Kawagoe and work mainly in Sayama. I've heard that Sayama lake is meant to be nice but I have not ventured down there yet. I go up to a place called Ogose which is a 20 min train ride from Sakado on the Tobu Ogose line. What kind of riding do you do? I've got a Cannondale Jekyll 600 so around here I just do trail riding. What about you? Let me know if you wanted to go out for a ride sometime and we could meet up....possibly near the seibu dome!!!!!!!! Cheers, Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hello Chris, hello Mark,

Two weeks ago I went to Kaneko (Hachiko Line) for riding with Japanese friends and there are many good trails there. I can't really explain because I get there by train and after we went to the track by car but it's not to far from the station (5-10 minutes). I guess if you try to reach the mountain, you will find the trails... By the way, any of you is going to ride the Tokyo Enduro in two weeks ? It's a downtown road race for flat-bar bicycles... An mtb wis slick tires is fine for that!

http://www.funride.jp/event/2004/tokyoEDw/main.htm

Bye
    Laurent

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by markfielding1977
    Hiya Chris,

I live in Kawagoe and work mainly in Sayama. I've heard that Sayama lake is meant to be nice but I have not ventured down there yet. I go up to a place called Ogose which is a 20 min train ride from Sakado on the Tobu Ogose line. What kind of riding do you do? I've got a Cannondale Jekyll 600 so around here I just do trail riding. What about you? Let me know if you wanted to go out for a ride sometime and we could meet up....possibly near the seibu dome!!!!!!!! Cheers, Mark

Mark,

Meeting up sounds good, though it would have to be in the New Year as Xmas is too busy. What are the trails like that you ride - if I get organised and get a bike back I could venture up that way at some stage also.

Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RioGrande
    Mark,

Meeting up sounds good, though it would have to be in the New Year as Xmas is too busy. What are the trails like that you ride - if I get organised and get a bike back I could venture up that way at some stage also.

Chris
    Hiya Chris
    The New Year sounds cool. Xmas will be pretty busy here too (Thailand is on the cards). Ogose (where I ride) is pretty cool. There are lots of mountains ranging from about 200m to around 800 ish metres...You very rarely see anyone on the trails when you get into the mountains...In over 20 hours of trail riding up there, I hvae only seen one person, and he was a hiker...... The mountains are mainly covered in trees so its really nice....What sort of bike have you got? As you can probably see, I've got a Cannondale Jekyll 600 which is ok for trail riding. I'll post a few pics (If I can work out how to do it) of Ogose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 38lolo
    Hello Chris, hello Mark,

Two weeks ago I went to Kaneko (Hachiko Line) for riding with Japanese friends and there are many good trails there. I can't really explain because I get there by train and after we went to the track by car but it's not to far from the station (5-10 minutes). I guess if you try to reach the mountain, you will find the trails... By the way, any of you is going to ride the Tokyo Enduro in two weeks ? It's a downtown road race for flat-bar bicycles... An mtb wis slick tires is fine for that!

Bye
    Laurent
    Hi Laurent. Sounds like you had fun at Kaneko. Just checked Kaneko and its less than an hour away from me on the train. What sort of trails were they? Would you recommend it? What maps did you use? Or did you just use Japanese friends knowledge of the area? Nope I woun't be at the funride in Tokyo.

Cheers

Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi Mark. There many kind of track, easy and not esy at all. I guess it's a kind of “big spot“ close to Tokyo because we met many other MTBriders there. I do recommend it but I can't give many explanations because I just went there once. I got a map which explains how to get to the track from the station and I'd like to send you it but it seems than it is not possible to send image on mtbr forum... If you have an email adress, I'll send you the map. Bye, Laurent

mtbr member
    Hi Mark. There many kind of track, easy and not esy at all. I guess it's a kind of “big spot“ close to Tokyo because we met many other MTBriders there. I do recommend it but I can't give many explanations because I just went there once. I got a map which explains how to get to the track from the station and I'd like to send you it but it seems than it is not possible to send image on mtbr forum... If you have an email adress, I'll send you the map. Bye, Laurent
    Hi Laurent, Thanks for tghe reply. If you get chance, would it be possible to send a copy of the map to
    markfielding1977@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance. I might go over there on Thursday is possible....I went to Sayama lake today before work for a few hours. Was pretty cool

Thanks again

Mark

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hello Chris, hello Mark,

Bye
    Laurent
    Laurent,

I didn't know about the Tokyo Enduro, if you do it I hope you enjoy! I'll try and check out Kaneko, it sounds good. I need to buy a bike bag first though, so time for some Xmas shopping!

Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

What's equipment availability / cost like in Japan

Hi,

I'm going to live in Japan for a year (or two- we'll see) from April 2005. Should I bring my mountain bike, or can I pick up something out there? Is there a wide choice of bikes (and components) ? Is everything bike related horrendously expensive?

Ideally I'd want a 4-6" full suss, but I guess my final choice would be dependent on terrain. I'm hoping to hit some hardcore Japanese trails and ride down Mt Fuji, I hope I won't be disappointed!

Thanks in advance, maybe see you at some point in the future....

Matt

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Drop
    Hi,

I'm going to live in Japan for a year (or two- we'll see) from April 2005. Should I bring my mountain bike, or can I pick up something out there? Is there a wide choice of bikes (and components) ? Is everything bike related horrendously expensive?

Ideally I'd want a 4-6" full suss, but I guess my final choice would be dependent on terrain. I'm hoping to hit some hardcore Japanese trails and ride down Mt Fuji, I hope I won't be disappointed!

Thanks in advance, maybe see you at some point in the future....

Matt
    Compared to the US, stuff here is expensive. I am from the UK, so the prices here are about the same as I usually pay. Basically, you can get anything here that you can get in the US or UK. And some US bike shops will ship here, so you can get cheaper stuff online. If you have a decent bike, I would bring it with you, it might work out cheaper than buying one over here.
    Where are you planning on living? I live in kanagawa, which is about one hour from Tokyo. The quality of the trails depend on where you live. Places like Nagano have good trails. Some probems you may have are finding good trails, especially if you don't have a car. An average ride for me consists of 50km of road work for 10km of off road. Local knowledge is priceless too. The trails around my area are quite short and technical, with lots of rocks and roots. You can ride on a hardtail, but you can go faster on a full sus. I have both and I mainly use my full sus for trail work.
    Check out the trails section of this website for more information, but there aren't many trails listed there for Japan. I guess there aren't that many gaijin (foreigners)mountain bikers here.
    Also check out this guys site. He has video and reviews of the trails that I ride every week. www.mountainbikebill.com
    If you want any more information, then you can mail me or reply on here.
    Bobbysix.

mtbr member
    Out of interest, are you guys using anything in Japan like yahoogroups? We're using it in Korea and it's a great way for ex-pat bikers to hook up with each other. I assume there are more riders in Japan than in Korea too - the ex-pat biking community in Korea is pretty close knit.

It would be good to arrange some cross-the-sea bike rides in the future. You know, Japan-based bikers coming over to sleep on our couches and check out the Korean biking scene then vice-versa.

What's the story with the locals and their reactions to seeing bikers on the trails? The Koreans are a very friendly bunch when it comes to that kind of stuff. Free fruit and makkolli (rice wine), and the occasional grope at your legs.

Cheers,

Duncan

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Laurent,

I'd appreciate it if you could send me the map as well as I'm interested in heading out there during the upcoming holidays. My email address is rio_11@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance,

Chris

mtbr member
    Hi Laurent

Thanks for the map of Kaneko. I have not been up there yet but plan on doing so in the New Year. I'm off to Thailand for 18 days on Monday for a Holiday so the mountain bike shoes will be hung soon. Went out to Sayama lake again today (about a 1 hour ride from my house). I'll post some pics. Thanks again for the map.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

here in miyazaki

there's some riding........but not nice like Hokkaido from what I heard, would love to be up there, Hokkaido, snow, ummm.........

mtbr remember

hajimemashite!

Hey guys, I just got to Japan a couple of weeks ago. I currently live in Hikone, Shiga-ken, right on Lake Biwako. There looks like there might be quite a bit of riding here, but I really don't know. My Nihongo is not that good yet, and unfortunetly I did not bring any of my bikes (I'm from Michigan, US), all I have is a cheap commuter. Any idea about the riding in Shiga, I really don't know if there are restrictions for bikers on any of the trails around here, I haven't had as much time as I would like for exploring, and it keeps snowing occasionally. As you can probably tell, I am a total gaijin! I would love to come to the Nagano area to do some snowboarding too. Any idea if there are places in that area that rent bikes out, and what might I expect for rates?? Any help would be much appreciated.
    I'm almost thinking about having a family member back in the states ship my bike over here, any idea what that might cost, and how long it might take, also what carrier should I use. Even if I don't hit the trails much, I'm dying to get some urban riding in, I've seen many excellent opportunities to bust out a manual down a sidewalk or ride some wheelies. Lot's of Trials opportunities too! If only I had my quiver of bikes readily available, I miss them so! Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to bike here while I'm in Japan! Thanks, Dave
    btw- nice pics!
    Schralp it Heavy.

ntj
    guidedbybicycles

tsukuba-san!

Did a bit of shuttling at Mt Tsukuba (Ibaraki prefecture) today, and I'm keen for more. I wasn't really keeping an eye on how long it took, but we rode a pretty technical dh trail with plenty of blind cornrers, some rocky drops where you have to pick your line well, and some off-camber sections have to be respected. I'm still smiling just thiniking about it, if anyone lives out east of Tokyo and wants to give it a shot some time, lemme know.

mtbr member
    I'm here (Tokyo). Let's go.
    No, sir, I didn't steal it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast