Thread: Japan

mtbr member

Japan

Sup fellas, I was considering Japan for my next duty station, most likely Yakota, I'm Army so that is one option available to me right now, was curious about the type of riding in the vicinity, mostly so I know what bikes to bring.
    I was considering bringing
    Driver 8 FR/DH
    and my Blur Lt carbon AM/CX
    my wife wants to bring her
    Stinky Primo DH/FR
    Heckler AM/FR/XC
    Jamis Parker DJ
    any information would be greatly appreciated, since the wife already said that if their is no DH or DJ she will not go there and wants Colorado instead, I only have a week to decide so please hook a brother up..Thanks
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Riding does exists to include at least one DH park; Fuji Panorama.

Most trails are short but pretty steep and rooty. Good technical riding. Yokosuka has a nice little dirt jump park, but that is about 1.5 hours from Yokota.

I understand Yokota has some trails, but I am more familiar with the trails in Yokosuka. Four or five pretty good trails within riding distance of the base.

Colorado will have better riding for sure almost exclusively due to weather. Rain makes most trails in Japan unridable due to grade and soil conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA_MTBR
    Riding does exists to include at least one DH park; Fuji Panorama.

Most trails are short but pretty steep and rooty. Good technical riding. Yokosuka has a nice little dirt jump park, but that is about 1.5 hours from Yokota.

I understand Yokota has some trails, but I am more familiar with the trails in Yokosuka. Four or five pretty good trails within riding distance of the base.

Colorado will have better riding for sure almost exclusively due to weather. Rain makes most trails in Japan unridable due to grade and soil conditions.
    thanks
    F88me самолюбивый член

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I live at Yokota and never run out of places to ride and trails to explore. I haven't had any problems riding the trails near the base. I've ridden them dry, wet and while raining.

A little south of sanity
    Jun 2006
    I am stationed at yokosuka, I havent had much opportunity to hit the trails around here but from the experience of the trails I have been on here, expect a healthy uphill climb to get to them and slippery clay and roots are a common find on the trails. being a noob and having the wrong tires for that terrain, taught me quite a few lessons, but Japan is an amazing country, very beautiful scenery along the rides, I've not gotten to Fuji panorama yet but will soon I hope!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBgreatfalls
    I am stationed at yokosuka, I havent had much opportunity to hit the trails around here but from the experience of the trails I have been on here, expect a healthy uphill climb to get to them and slippery clay and roots are a common find on the trails. being a noob and having the wrong tires for that terrain, taught me quite a few lessons, but Japan is an amazing country, very beautiful scenery along the rides, I've not gotten to Fuji panorama yet but will soon I hope!
    Sounds like the trails whe have in Hawaii but thats good, it makes you a really good rider
    F88me самолюбивый член