Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Japan

mtbr member
    May 2006

Japan

hey guys and girls
    im moving to japan in about 3 months and want to know some info on places to ride. if you have any links to help out that would be awsome!!!! does any one know what the facilities are like around sapporo??

Im going to teach english when i move over but am curious to what other job prospects are like, so if you can give me some insight to what jobs everyone is into that would be appreciated!!!!!!!

keep it rollin'

brad

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey Brad, I'm livin in Japan for at least the next 2 years but am in Osaka! There are some good areas to ride around Kyoto and some nice trails near Mino. Up north I don't know.
    Mtbking is not that big here yet and so things can be quite expensive if your looking at getting something here (high end parts etc.).

The English thing is a decent way to make some bucks and seems to be the norm for Gaigins.

Good luck mate,

Damien.

Rocks Rock

Bring my Hard Tail or the Yeti 575?

Quote Originally Posted by dame
    Hey Brad, I'm livin in Japan for at least the next 2 years but am in Osaka! There are some good areas to ride around Kyoto and some nice trails near Mino. Up north I don't know.
    Mtbking is not that big here yet and so things can be quite expensive if your looking at getting something here (high end parts etc.).

The English thing is a decent way to make some bucks and seems to be the norm for Gaigins.

Good luck mate,

Damien.
    I am flying in to Osaka and going to Kyoto (high speed trian) then Nishiwaki (some other kind of train). I'll be there for three or four weeks. Looking for some narly single track. Is there any rocky, twisty, tight single track in that area of Japan. I arraive in Osaka July 6, 06.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

mtbr member
    There is some good stuff in Osaka (south of), and Kobe (Rokko mtn). Rokko has some good downhill singletrack. South Osaka has more epic rides stuff. Not sure about the place that you are actually heading to though.

Rocks Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkiwi
    There is some good stuff in Osaka (south of), and Kobe (Rokko mtn). Rokko has some good downhill singletrack. South Osaka has more epic rides stuff. Not sure about the place that you are actually heading to though.
    Thanx, I'll start looking into these places.
    When we teach all children from age 5 on to meditate just 1 hour per week on compassion war will end within 3 generations.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Go Japan

Rokko Mtn above Ashiya has some great rides, I agree. If you are going to Kyoto you should contact Vince 'Guru' Flanagan on; flanagan@mac.com .He used to be one of the Aussie XC guns, riding for TREK in the early to mid-90's. He lives in Kyoto and would be the best source of info. I do know there are some great single track there and he is the guy to help you with finding what you want.

Let us know how you go,
    Dame.

Rocks Rock

Thanx

Rokko Mtn above Ashiya has some great rides, I agree. If you are going to Kyoto you should contact Vince 'Guru' Flanagan on; flanagan@mac.com .He used to be one of the Aussie XC guns, riding for TREK in the early to mid-90's. He lives in Kyoto and would be the best source of info. I do know there are some great single track there and he is the guy to help you with finding what you want.

Let us know how you go,
    Dame.
    Dame
    I rung up his email.
    Thanx, Dave

Rocks Rock

Japan riders

Vince didn't answer yet. Any other riders around Nishiwaki, Osaka or Kyoto?
    Last edited by impdude; 06-23-2006 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sorry mate, he's the best man for the job. You could google Mtbking in Kyoto or Japan? Or try nobu@aandf.co.jp. Nobu is the Santa Cruz Importer and has been a great help to me. Good Luck.

Rocks Rock
    Sorry mate, he's the best man for the job. You could google Mtbking in Kyoto or Japan? Or try nobu@aandf.co.jp. Nobu is the Santa Cruz Importer and has been a great help to me. Good Luck.
    Thanx, I'll keep looking.

mtbr member
    Impdude,

If you are definitely going to be in Osaka for a few days I might have some time to show you a course or two nearby. Anyway, if you are keen you can pm me.

Rocks Rock

Thanx Kiwi

I'll PM you when I get my schedule nailed down.

Rider of the Faith
    Anyone in the Miyagi area?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Sapporo rider

Hi,

I've been living in Sapporo for 3 years and have to say there are loads of great trails around here. Nishiolka, Makonomani, Bankei, Teine, Otaru, shinrin kown to name but a few. Many of them are steep and quite technical.

The job situation is a bit hit and miss at the mo as a result of many English teaching schools in Sapporo going bust. However you should be o.k, if you've got enough back up funds to rely on in the event that it takes a while to get a job.

Good luck.

Rider of the Faith
    Hey Tanuki ...
    You doing DH/FR up there?
    Last edited by Musashi; 07-15-2006 at 04:15 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006

... and if we just ... sapporo

hi tanukikuso,

thanx for the info!!! the bike is getting packed for sure then!!!! i was a little unsure to take it or not but i think you just made up my mind!!! im about 7 weeks away from moving so im pretty excited!!

what type of riding do you do? dh or xc?

is there a local downhill racing scene in the area?

so do you have any tips of job hunting in sapporo??

thanx again
    Brad

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Tanukikuso, what's the weather like up there? We are thinking to spend part of the summer there, maybe. Also when you say the riding is steep and technical, do you mean as in the classic Japanese sense, super steep hills and slippery roots? Sorry I haven't been up north yet, my only riding in Jp had been in Kyushu and the riding there is steep and technical. I'm hoping Hokkaido would be more, er, enjoyable than the jungles of the south.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Konnichi wa,

I think there is a very small community of DH racers within Hokkaido. An organisation called DORIDE organises DH and XC events in places like Otaru and Teine. It might be a good place to hook up with other DH riders. Do a google search and you should find there info in Japanese. Niseko also has DH and XC competitions.

I`m currently into XC. Many of the trails I ride are officially hiking trails. Attach a bear bell to your bike and unofficially you shouldn`t have any problems as the old hikers will hear you hurtelling towards them and hopefully move out of the way.

Try the Sapporo Kokusai plaza for eikaiwa level teaching jobs. They can provide you with a list of schools and have a vacancy board in their building.
    Last edited by tanukikuso; 07-18-2006 at 02:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by achawalla
    I'm hoping Hokkaido would be more, er, enjoyable than the jungles of the south.
    Easy now, the riding down here in Kyushu is damn good! Oh, for the original poster: I would advise you to drop the idea of eikaiwa if you want a decent long-term job. There are desirable posts available now and again but the average companies here such as Nova or Geos generally do not treat their employees well compared to what you can find if you have a teacher's certificate and can teach Math or Science, for example, at an International School. If you are fresh out of college and are in the JET Programme, enjoy, but use the time to get a Master's Degree in something other than TOEFL/ESL, and get into the IS system. Then, when you are tired of Japan, you can teach abroad in other countries as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Didn't mean it that way

I meant to say that the riding in 9shu is challenging, but fun. I don't know where you are, but down there on the south east corner of the island where I usually stay when over there, the trails are nice and rooty, I guess that's why there's nobody riding around here. Good days to be had though, when it's not too wet. Would love to ride Shikoku and Hokkaido, which is one of my dreams.

Rider of the Faith

DH/FR in Tohoku

I`m in th midst of planning a trip for Obon. So far I`m gonna hit Chokaizan Akita, Furushida Yamagata and some where in Iwate. Anyone got any reccomendations?

mtbr remember
    bump.

any riders here still in the Osaka/Kansai area?

looking to possibly hook up.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    I've got two friends still living there (I think). I'll send them a link, but haven't heard from either in a while. Whereabouts are you exactly?

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnkiwi
    I've got two friends still living there (I think). I'll send them a link, but haven't heard from either in a while. Whereabouts are you exactly?

cool, let me know if you hear anything, I'd love to hook up with some who know more local spots. I've just been riding a lot of street by myself lately when I get a chance here and there, hitting a couple of city parks and mostly exploring sidewalks.... mostly around Kita/Umeda areas...

I'm currently in an area near Tenma station, just for a few months. I've been to Osaka quite a few times in the past 3 years, but this is the first time I'll be here for an extended stay with my personal bike (just an urban/dj bike as it was easier to travel with than the full on DH/FR rig).
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    park name is Oizumi-Ryokuchi Koen (see why I couldn't remember it before)Has an official bmx track.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast