Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: Indonesia....?

  1. #1
    it's the ride....
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    509

    Indonesia....?

    Anybody rides in Indonesia...? What kind of trail and bike do you ride...?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3
    Hi, Yes we do MTB here in Indonesia. Nearby my hometown Jakarta, there are various type of rides. But my personal favorite is at Puncak Mountain. Please feel free to visit http://hendropurwanto.blogspot.com for some reviews and pics.

    As for bikes, there are all sort of MTB here. Most of the time we prefer to assembly our own bike, rather than buy a complete one off the shelf. The favourite imported brands are Giant, KHS, Specialized, Santa Cruz, Titus, and sometimes Cannondale or even Oranges.

  3. #3
    it's the ride....
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    509
    Aha.. one reply at least. You guys seems to have a good trail to ride. What do people do mostly: xc, downhill, freeride, endurance ride..?

  4. #4
    Now with 3 more inches!
    Reputation: tigerdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,464
    Nice blog, Hendro!

    I lived in Bali for 2 years but unfortunately didn't have a bike there. I did a lot of trail running and some of the areas higher up in the mountains had some great trails for mountain biking.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hamba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    13
    Most people do xc or endurance ride in the trail close to Jakarta, but you can also find some people do downhill there.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3
    Hi Softailteamrider,
    We do all sorts of riding. XC, technical XC, downhill, all mountain adventure. We even have a dual slalom event just last week. As for me, I only do XC. So, do you plan to visit Indonesia soon? don't forget to bring your bike along.
    Rgds

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3
    Hi Tigerdog,
    Thanks for comment.
    Bali is great! I used to live there myself years ago. There was an international MTB event held in Bali couple of years back. But I still prefer riding in Java island.
    rgds

  8. #8
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,760
    Good to see something from Indonesia .
    We will be in Sumatra the month of May for surfing.
    I'm always sorry not to have a bike when we are there.
    If we are in Jakarta for more than a day I will let you know.
    There is at least one Turner owner that has posted from Java.

    Photos from May '05 trip.

    transport


    that's me on the left .

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    20
    Ah, I only go to Indo for the surf, but I reckon there must be some insane places to ride here...the passes in Sumbawa would be some scary shite...

    Anybody know of places in Bali - FR and DH would be good!

  10. #10
    it's the ride....
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    509
    I'm always sorry not to have a bike when we are there.
    If we are in Jakarta for more than a day I will let you know.
    There is at least one Turner owner that has posted from Java.


    Eric, I didn't know you visit Indonesia frequently. I come to know Indonesia much better than any other tropical country on the globe. And to my knowledge there are bunch of people riding there and though you don't have your bike with you I believe people will be more than happy to loan you their bike. Just make sure the size will fit you though..
    Just so you know, there are also Turner owners there (I wouldn't say Homer yet..) and if you click Turner website you can find a Turner dealer in Jakarta so I guess it speaks the population.

    SindC, there are also some FR/DH tracks there as I would remember.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    20
    In Bali or Jakarta...normaly Bali is my base and I travel to the surrounding islands to surf.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1

    mountain bike bali - adv community

    Quote Originally Posted by SindCycles
    Ah, I only go to Indo for the surf, but I reckon there must be some insane places to ride here...the passes in Sumbawa would be some scary shite...

    Anybody know of places in Bali - FR and DH would be good!

    Hi,i know any track on bali,cross country,down hill,up hill or adventure find me at cellular0361-7430939 or e-mail at harisanjaya@telkom.net


    best regard and keep ride,


    Hari

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4

    Bali Mountain Biking

    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider
    Anybody rides in Indonesia...? What kind of trail and bike do you ride...?
    I got hooked on XC mountain biking in Jakarta 6 years ago on the trails around Sentul Selatan and Gunung Pancar. There is a growing expat and local MTB community out there. In fact I liked it so much that I gave up my job and now spend my days hounding out trails in Bali - a much more difficult task because one false trail usually finds you hoofing down some track and at sea-level before you can say 'boo to a goose'. The trick for XC routes is to know the trails that stay high long enough for a decent length ride. DH heaven as long as don't mind max 2 hour rides.

    If you or anybody else is coming over to Bali with (or without) their bike and wants to touch base, please contact me by email: clare@bali-trailblazers.com

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    20
    Excellent - I'm not coming to Bali this year, but will be back for another month in 2007.

    Hopefully you'll still be around and we can go DH somewhere!

    Cheers

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    Great! Keep in touch. I don't have any plans to leave.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pitto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    522
    Now thats food for thought,

    My family live in Bali, and i was wondering if there was a MTB community up there.

    Where do you DH, any good riding at the Bukit??

    Is there a reputable bike shop in denpasar??

    Thanks

    G

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    The bukit is too hot for me at this time of the year, but does have some good trails. The Bukit and Tabanan seem to be the most popular areas with local and expat riders, but I always head for the hills. Most of my trails start somewhere near the Central Volcanoes, Mt Batur or the slopes of Agung and make their way in a general down hill direction, but it is XC riding as there are some pretty steep ups as well as downs. You could probably put some awesome downhills together but they would be relativley short lived and with no quick means of getting back up that hill,,,,,,,,,?! Don't know I've never tried, don't have the bike!

    I usually go riding with a couple of Balinese guys and have just started a Mountain bike holiday/guiding company up out here, but not sure I'm allowed to advertise on this forum. Anyways, if you want to know more drop me a line (clare@bali-trailblazers.com).

    Happy trail hounding!

    Bali Trail Hound

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pitto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by bali trail hound
    The bukit is too hot for me at this time of the year, but does have some good trails. The Bukit and Tabanan seem to be the most popular areas with local and expat riders, but I always head for the hills. Most of my trails start somewhere near the Central Volcanoes, Mt Batur or the slopes of Agung and make their way in a general down hill direction, but it is XC riding as there are some pretty steep ups as well as downs. You could probably put some awesome downhills together but they would be relativley short lived and with no quick means of getting back up that hill,,,,,,,,,?! Don't know I've never tried, don't have the bike!

    I usually go riding with a couple of Balinese guys and have just started a Mountain bike holiday/guiding company up out here, but not sure I'm allowed to advertise on this forum. Anyways, if you want to know more drop me a line (clare@bali-trailblazers.com).

    Happy trail hounding!

    Bali Trail Hound

    Thanks for the feedback, Clare.

    I used to live there 10 years back and was involved in the Bali Hash House Harriers, so i know the counrtyside fairly well. I have only recently taken up MTBing over the last few years and riding in Bali wasnt on the radar.

    However after looking at your website, i think that has changed my mind now.

    Do you know of any hassels getting bikes thru customs up there?? Is there any issues that i should be aware of if i take my own bike up there??

    Thanks for the info.

    G

  19. #19
    jzt
    jzt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jzt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    136
    I hear there's some crazy good DH trails to ride in Bandung. Its not too far from Jakarta I think. A bunch of my friends have made trips over the past year to ride there.

    They didn't want to come back.

    I'm in KL, Malaysia, couple hours flight away.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    If you bring goods worth more than $250 into Indonesia, you have to pay import tax on them (I think it is about 25% of their worth), but you get it back when you leave. It's a lot of paper work and hassle.

    ......on the other hand, if your bike is worth less than $250.......you sale through without a problem.......if you get my drift!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pitto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by bali trail hound
    If you bring goods worth more than $250 into Indonesia, you have to pay import tax on them (I think it is about 25% of their worth), but you get it back when you leave. It's a lot of paper work and hassle.

    ......on the other hand, if your bike is worth less than $250.......you sale through without a problem.......if you get my drift!

    Its all about "the game" and you need to know the rules.

    Much like getting anything else thru customs. The depreciation on parts, on the plane trip from Australia to Bali, is huge.

    Thanks for the feedback. Next time im up that way i will look you up for a tour.

    G

  22. #22
    jzt
    jzt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jzt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    136
    Clare,

    Some friends of mine, Dr Ong & his wife just completed a tour with you recently. They have only good things to say about the trip and I'm looking forward myself to a trip next year to Bandung for some DH riding with the locals (one of them is a national downhiller).

    Any good DH in Bali?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakawi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    81
    Hi Clare!
    Just wanna say how much I enjoyed the ride with you guys at bali-trailblazers!

    there's heaps of good DH in Bali jzt, it'll be easier if you have a local to point them out to you.

    here are the pics from my ride with the bali-trailblazers
    ------> TrailBlazing in Bali
    Last edited by Fakawi; 11-25-2006 at 06:16 PM.
    ((((((((( FAKAWI )))))))))))

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pitto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Fakawi
    Hi Clare!
    Just wanna say how much I enjoyed the ride with you guys at bali-trailblazers!

    there's heaps of good DH in Bali jzt, it'll be easier if you have a local to point them out to you.

    here are the pics from my ride with the bali-trailblazers
    ------> TrailBlazing in Bali

    i checked your photos out, some nice terrain covered by the looks of it.

    Cant wait to get back up that way, its been a while now since i was in Bali last.

    G

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider
    Anybody rides in Indonesia...? What kind of trail and bike do you ride...?
    Yes, I am, in East Kalimantan.

    The trail is xc, it's length about 24 kilometres (14,9 miles). Last ride, I saw 2 monkeys/orang utans crossing the trail .

    And near my house there's a hill, so I use it as a training ground for climbing endurance.

    My ride is Giant Reign 3 2005

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •