Thread: Hong Kong?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Hong Kong?

Crazy last minute thought.

I am in hong kong on business and have the weekend free. I don't have any bike clothing with me, as well as no bike.

Anyone know of a place that I can:

A. Easily get to on the subway
    B. Buy some bike clothes
    C. Rent a bike
    D. Easily ride to a trail head

I know it is totally last minute, but if anyone has done that I would love to know how you pulled it off.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    call flying ball bike shop. They should be able to answer most of your questions.

If you are in Hong Kong island proper, do you mind taking a ferry? I think there is only one open trail in HK island itself, and you will need car plus riding permit.

Many bike shops rent bikes, but Flying Ball has the best selection of clothing that are closer to what we have in the states.

Try to contact Ben Lun at mtbunited. Not sure if they still ride regularly, but they might be able to give you some lead.

mtbr member
    Flying Ball in Cheung Sha Wan is definitely worth a visit in any case and it's easy to reach with the MTR. I bought a Cannondale Prophet, helmet, knicks, jersey and shoes from them a few years back. When I moved back to Finland later, they were kind enough to pack it for me after an overhaul.

There's no easy riding to a trail head in Hong Kong and you're not allowed to take a bicycle on the MTR at any time. If you're [s]suicidal[/s] careful enough you could ride public roads to the ferry docks. Lamma island is a wonderful place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Friendly Bicycle Shop on Lantau island is your best bet. I believe they hire a bikes and have a limited range of clothing that you can purchase. The shop is quite close to the trail head for Chi Ma Wan, probably the best trail in Hong Kong. The best way to get to Lantau is to take the Ferry from Central Ferry Pier to Mui Wo. When you arrive in Mui Wo, just ask a local where Friendly Bicycle is. They will look after you from there.

I concur with everyone that Flying Ball is the best place if you want to get kitted out. Bull Bikes on Waterloo Road, Yau Ma Tei is also a good option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Flying Ball in Cheung Sha Wan is definitely worth a visit in any case and it's easy to reach with the MTR. I bought a Cannondale Prophet, helmet, knicks, jersey and shoes from them a few years back. When I moved back to Finland later, they were kind enough to pack it for me after an overhaul.

There's no easy riding to a trail head in Hong Kong and you're not allowed to take a bicycle on the MTR at any time. If you're [s]suicidal[/s] careful enough you could ride public roads to the ferry docks. Lamma island is a wonderful place to ride.
    This might not be true. People are allowed to bring bikes into the MTR as long as the front wheel is not assembled to the bike. The two components then are legally luggage and can be brought into the MTR. Although, you have to stand in either the front or the back wagon of the train.

Transport in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    On 16 December 2011, MTR quietly announced at the regular Transport Department meeting with cycling organisations that bicycles were permitted on all MTR lines with the front wheel removed. MTR consider that once the front wheel is removed, a bicycle becomes ‘luggage’. In our experience, it is perfectly possible to get bicycles onto the MTR. Simply walk quietly and confidently through the station, and show plenty of respect to everyone else (make it obvious). We are on display here, and need to gain public support. Don’t wear your helmet. Often the front or back of the train have more space. Once on the train, do not block the exits. If you are confronted by the staff at any time, be courteous and polite.

mtbr member
    Oh, they finally made some progress. I moved away from HK in December 2008 so my info was out of date apparently. Back then it was simply no-go even outside rush hours. Thanks for the heads-up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    For anyone coming to this thread, I should point out that the Hong kong Mountain Biking Association is always full of useful information on trails, transport, and general MTBing in HK. I'd post some links to useful stuff on the website, but I don't have 10 posts yet, and so can't... will wait until I do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm going to be in Hong Kong on march 18th and looking for some mountain biking over the weekend. Wondering where to rent a bike preferably a 29er hard tail. Should I bring my shoes and helmet?
    I'm from Colorado and know how to ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Johnny - March 18th is a Monday, so do you mean the weekend before or after? There is a new trail opening on the 17th - details on the HKMBA website. It's not very long, but it does lead to a downhill section (which I've never tried).

Anyway, there is a list of bike shops that may do rental on the HKMBA website. I can't post a link as I don't have 10 posts yet, but enter the website, then from the drop-down menu "MTB in HK" select "Bike Rental".

However, rather than spend too much time arranging a rental, transport etc. then I would recommend that you look into book a session with Cross Country HK. I know that Steve,who runs it, has brand new Merida 29s (probably the Big Nine TFS-900) that he bought at the end of last year. You may not need the training, but he can show you good routes that will suit what you want, and it's always useful having someone on the trail with you with the relevant spares etc. Also, once you look at the cost of getting a rented bike to and from a trail, it's not like you'll necessarily save that much money. He will also deal with the bother of getting an AFCD permit.

Either way, there's usually no need to bring your own helmet, but if you use SPDs then it's probably best to bring your own shoes. Unfortunately, while the HKMBA's route descrption pages are still working, the PDF Route Finder and Trail Finder sub-links are currently broken due to a hack attack, but hopefully they'll be up again soonish.

I have read on the grapevine that Friendly Bike Shop (mentioned above and on the HKMBA website) usually say over the phone that they won't rent, but will consider renting to you if you turn up and look like someone who knows what he/she is doing (maybe it will work if you call them and let them know that you know what you are doing?). From the last time I spoke to them about it, a full-day rental of a trail-worthy MTB was around HK$200+.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    About Friendly Bike in Mui Wo (Lantau Island), they do rent it out. Last time I even saw a little sign outside the shop advising about the price per day for rentals. There's a good short path to Chi Ma Wan directly leading from Mui Wo as well.

Last time I believe the cost was about 300 HKDs. Maybe they changed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hello Mtbr's

Two years ago I visited Hong Kong Island without bringing a bike. After being a bit bored and missing any form of exercise decided to walk a all the trails I could find on the island from one side to the other.

After reading all the stuff on HKMBA about where you can and cannot ride etc I really cannot figure out why there are so many NO go areas on the Island. Walking / Hiking these trails in the early morning in Hong Kong winter they where deserted ! And speaking with a lot of locals of the Island mostly all of them had never walked the tracks that I had.

Anyway this year I am taking the bike and arrive on the 8th of September and are staying till the 17th returning back there again on the 27th-30th.

If anybody is there up for a ride , maybe around lamma island , Shek O etc on those dates contact me.

Regards

Adam