That looks SWEET!Just watch out for Charlie
    Black Sheep Dream Bike Design
    www.blacksheepbikes.com
    The future is not retro proof.

1+1
    going for a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by yoginasser
    That looks SWEET!Just watch out for Charlie
    Yogi, thanks. To tell you the truth, it's hard to believe, I know, but those trails are always empty except for people who collect mushroom(edible kind), pine nuts and bamboo. There are main trails that horses go up that I push up on, but coming down is 99% singletrack, all unridden, not kidding you.
    1 and half hours of pushing and 30 minutes of dh, pretty much my riding every day. Got to go and get a last ride in now before taking off to HK.
    I'll upload more pics when I get back in a few days.

King of vegetarians
    Maybe I visit you one day and then I can enjoy that too
    Black Sheep Dream Bike Design
    www.blacksheepbikes.com
    The future is not retro proof.

1+1
    going for a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by yoginasser
    Maybe I visit you one day and then I can enjoy that too
    For sure, bro, for sure. Winter is the best time to ride here, but the slick summer trails build your skills up. There's hundreds of kilometers of singletrack in just a 50km radius around here, but then again we're living in the nicest part of China for riding.

is this thing on?
    nice helmet skid... the cloud skyway trails look greasy. been back out to the gap lately?

1+1
    going for a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto
    nice helmet skid... the cloud skyway trails look greasy. been back out to the gap lately?
    Ernesto, thank you for the skid lid, it had saved my head and face more than a couple of times.
    The trails are slipperier than a banana peel and ky jelly sandwich right now. But a man has to do what a man has to do to walk his dogs, we've picked up a b!tch lab and her tibetan looking brother since the last time you saw us and they need to get out and run every single day.
    I've left the gap alone since we last mashed it up back in the winter, but looks nicer and drier than here. Maybe we can hit it again come the winter, I have some ideas I want to try out, including rumors of a 25km buttery smooth dh from ji zu shan where that Buddist temple is, Only rumors for now, so no promises or anything.
    BTW, you have any pics of riding in Dali you can post up? Thanks.
    Again, I'll try to post more pics up soon.

is this thing on?
    nothing from Dali that you havent seen. I have 5 rolls of film undeveloped, one has a few yunnan pics on it I think? here a few summer pics from me new digi camera.

run those dogs eh! feed em a pug or two.

1+1
    going for a ride
    Damn, I miss planting(sort of).
    Good to see that you're hard at work. I'm doing the same here, sort of....
    Might head back next season, who knows? But for now, there's riding here. I'll show you a couple lines up there that you'll enjoy. They all buff singletrack. No joke. At least some of it.
    So you'll be coming over with your cx bike this season? Nothing like bombing down the gap frontside on, imo..... but then again I could be wrong.
    When you get the Yunnan pics developed, please try to post them, I really look forward to seeing those pics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1
    Damn, I miss planting(sort of).
    Good to see that you're hard at work. I'm doing the same here, sort of....
    Might head back next season, who knows? But for now, there's riding here. I'll show you a couple lines up there that you'll enjoy. They all buff singletrack. No joke. At least some of it.
    So you'll be coming over with your cx bike this season? Nothing like bombing down the gap frontside on, imo..... but then again I could be wrong.
    When you get the Yunnan pics developed, please try to post them, I really look forward to seeing those pics.
    You guys actually live in Yunnan? Its just a 3 hour flight for me and my Truth from Beijing to Kunming, another 1 hour flight on to Lijiang :-)
    What you picking there in that field, Ernesto? He He He...
    You are right about the singletrack - gobs of it everywhere and basically empty.

1+1
    going for a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHorse
    You guys actually live in Yunnan? Its just a 3 hour flight for me and my Truth from Beijing to Kunming, another 1 hour flight on to Lijiang :-)
    What you picking there in that field, Ernesto? He He He...
    You are right about the singletrack - gobs of it everywhere and basically empty.

OldHorse, I live in Dali, which is a 30min flight from Kmg. Or about 4 hours by bus.
    Ernesto stays up in Zhongdian but he's in Canada treeplanting right now, that's what those pics are off. Picking season here is yet a few months away.
    You're right, tons of trails to ride and nobody to share it with, that's why we're here. Post Oct to Apr is the best time for riding in Yunnan, it's drier than. You should check it out sometime, your Truth would love it down here, and you will too.
    A few more pics to get you all stoked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Absolutely!

1+1: Of course I have to check it out! I have been to Lijiang, Zhongdian, Meili, etc. But no biking just hiking. My wife and I will fly into Zhongdian in Oct and then do a loop to Yading, probably head back through Kangding to Chengdu.
    Took the attached pic last October, its Kawakarpo aka Mei Li taken from Feilaisi. Killer locale. A gazillion singletrack of every possible kind everywhere and all more or less empty except for the occasional farmer.
    I'll get my new Epiphany setup and come knocking on your door :-)

is this thing on?
    wholy ef 1+1, you bought it..... heard K opened up shop, you should go have a look.

oldhorse, when you took that photo I was riding around there. and I do mean around though the riding out 1+1s back door and a little north west of there is some of the best in the province. less life threatening and less multi day hike a bike then the upper river valleys. though there is something to be said about 2500m single track DH shots.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto
    wholy ef 1+1, you bought it..... heard K opened up shop, you should go have a look.

oldhorse, when you took that photo I was riding around there. and I do mean around though the riding out 1+1s back door and a little north west of there is some of the best in the province. less life threatening and less multi day hike a bike then the upper river valleys. though there is something to be said about 2500m single track DH shots.
    1+1: Is that a V-Tach or Delirium? The top tube wrapper is blocking the logo. That seat tube angle is quite aggressive. I take it you like your steed?

Ernesto: When you say "around" you mean as in the Zang circumnavigate of Kawakarpo to save your soul? I need one of those :-) Does it count more or less if you do it on bike instead of the traditional squat and pull?

We took the foot/horse trail over the yakou to Yubeng. Did you head that way? What an awesome place.

Another pic, this one taken in Yubeng as we were hiking up to Shen Po (Sacred Waterfall). It turns out the day we were there was the prescribed annual time for the Yaks and herdsmen to come down from the highlands. Big party in the communal lodge that night. Drank way too much Tibetan barley wine...

is this thing on?
    I did it Bon Po style, north to south, and diverged from the traditional route, which I have hiked twice. but I'm guessing when you add up all the hours of hike a bike, it has some merit attached to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

You are killing me...

Ernesto:
    Man, it is so beautiful and awesome it gives me pain; you are living my dream. Is that the Lancang river adjacent to the pilgrim? That is so NW Yunnan, to get up on a rise and see unnamed (?) snow peaks in the distance every way you look.

Here's a pic with me and the guide/driver we got in Zhongdian to take us to Kawakarpo. His name is Er Zhong and he is actually a Zang Yellow Hat Lama. But, he is ashamed to admit it because he thinks he loses face by doing this kind of thing. He needs the money to buy his room at the monastery in Zhongdian. Pic taken at the pass at the base of Bai Ma Xue Shan between Benzilan and Feilaisi.

I want to get out of this city!!!!

1+1
    going for a ride
    Ernesto, what's up, bro? How's work? Yeah, I got the ride I want finally. Different Bikes Vancouver shipped it out to HK the last time we went on a visa run. Was going to go visit K, but fixing up the garden house right now so cannot leave for a bit.

OldHorse, for sure, whenever you come down here, let me know. I'll set a few rides up.
    About the Knolly, it's a Delirium T. The seat angle is an illusion, when fully extended it's about 72deg which is comparable to my ht, for descending, I can push the seat all the way in and out of the way. And yeah, I love this bike, absolutely the best bike I've ever owned and ridden. Does everything well, this thing even outclimbs my ht ss, I know it's hard to believe. You can read more about it here
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...43#post3415443
    Saw your other post about getting an Epi. You going to get it shipped from the States or Flying Ball in HK? If you were going to get a frame shipped to China, I'll check into the import tax first. I heard that there's a 25% to 100% tax on bikes shipped here. Last year I got slapped with a 25% tariff bill when I got some stuff shipped from the States. That's why I had my Knolly shipped to HK this time as it's a tax free port.
    Oct. should be nice for riding, imo anytime after Sept is good. It's wet and slidy right now, but if you want to ride, what can you do? At least my dogs enjoy the run I take them on everyday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Thanks for hospitality

Ernesto, what's up, bro? How's work? Yeah, I got the ride I want finally. Different Bikes Vancouver shipped it out to HK the last time we went on a visa run. Was going to go visit K, but fixing up the garden house right now so cannot leave for a bit.

OldHorse, for sure, whenever you come down here, let me know. I'll set a few rides up.
    About the Knolly, it's a Delirium T. The seat angle is an illusion, when fully extended it's about 72deg which is comparable to my ht, for descending, I can push the seat all the way in and out of the way. And yeah, I love this bike, absolutely the best bike I've ever owned and ridden. Does everything well, this thing even outclimbs my ht ss, I know it's hard to believe. You can read more about it here
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...43#post3415443
    Saw your other post about getting an Epi. You going to get it shipped from the States or Flying Ball in HK? If you were going to get a frame shipped to China, I'll check into the import tax first. I heard that there's a 25% to 100% tax on bikes shipped here. Last year I got slapped with a 25% tariff bill when I got some stuff shipped from the States. That's why I had my Knolly shipped to HK this time as it's a tax free port.
    Oct. should be nice for riding, imo anytime after Sept is good. It's wet and slidy right now, but if you want to ride, what can you do? At least my dogs enjoy the run I take them on everyday.
    1+1: I am grateful for your hospitality. In October, my wife and I will first go to Zhongdian, then to Yading in Sichuan. I hope to visit Kevin at his outfitter shop, maybe even have him help us out this trip. I would like to plan a return trip sometime in November for a bike adventure. I appreciate any pointers, my main concern is don't want to ride alone my first bike trip there :-(
    Actually, I am planning to go back to States in September (actually San Diego), so I will pick up my Epiphany frame there all packed for transport and bring it back as checked baggage on the plane. It should fit without extra charge I hope. Then I will do the build here in Beijing. That is why I am being so meticulous about the component issues.
    Hear you on the tariff, so far I have been lucky. Foreigners flying into BJ rarely get checked for anything, but when I brought my fully built Truth through customs, he wanted to know what was in there. When I just "Zi Xing Che", he waved my right through :-)
    Thanks.

is this thing on?
    check with the air line, but I've found that if I only have a bike and carry on, there is no charge. or if you can keep your only other peice of checked baggage realy light.

and I have traveled with a 40 pound free ride bike.

a few more post whore look at me type photos to get the stoke going.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Back at ya...

[QUOTE=Ernesto]

a few more post whore look at me type photos to get the stoke going.

QUOTE]
    Yea, that stokes me alright. I recognize some of those scenes.
    Love the picture of the monastery in the background with the hay racks in the field. Here is a pic from inside the monastery looking back toward Zhongdian. I think that is the same hay field and singletrack in the foreground as in your pic :-)
    I'll throw in the pic of Moon Bay just outside of Benzilan. I'd like to see someone DH this thing. For scale, you can see there is a vehicle on the road below!

1+1
    going for a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHorse
    1+1: I am grateful for your hospitality. In October, my wife and I will first go to Zhongdian, then to Yading in Sichuan. I hope to visit Kevin at his outfitter shop, maybe even have him help us out this trip. I would like to plan a return trip sometime in November for a bike adventure. I appreciate any pointers, my main concern is don't want to ride alone my first bike trip there :-(
    Actually, I am planning to go back to States in September (actually San Diego), so I will pick up my Epiphany frame there all packed for transport and bring it back as checked baggage on the plane. It should fit without extra charge I hope. Then I will do the build here in Beijing. That is why I am being so meticulous about the component issues.
    Hear you on the tariff, so far I have been lucky. Foreigners flying into BJ rarely get checked for anything, but when I brought my fully built Truth through customs, he wanted to know what was in there. When I just "Zi Xing Che", he waved my right through :-)
    Thanks.
    OldHorse, whenever you're ready to come rip it up down here, let me know. I'll be here all winter, that's my main riding season. Everything is dry and grippier then and you can try stuff out that's been looking a bit sketchy all summer long in the rain. I'll say being based out Dali or Zhongdian is a good idea for a mtb trip, maybe Dali more in Nov. as it gets cold in ZD. IMO, food and water is better in Dali too.
    So you'll pick up your Epi in the States and build it up in BJ? You should have no problem getting anything you need, with the exception of RF crankset you mentioned in our Epi build thread. I'll get those in NA and some parts like an e13(if you need one). Otherwise, drivetrain components and the basic stuff are easily obtainable here.
    About the tax thing, they never tax anybody coming into China. It's only when you have postal packages, and especially courier packages that they're interested in and take a look at the bill on the box and tax you a whopping 25% on it. I got burnt once like that.
    If you have any questions, just let me know.
    PS, that last pic of that mountain that pours into the river looks insanely steep. Do you figure it's rideable somehow?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    OldHorse, whenever you're ready to come rip it up down here, let me know. I'll be here all winter, that's my main riding season. Everything is dry and grippier then and you can try stuff out that's been looking a bit sketchy all summer long in the rain. I'll say being based out Dali or Zhongdian is a good idea for a mtb trip, maybe Dali more in Nov. as it gets cold in ZD. IMO, food and water is better in Dali too.
    So you'll pick up your Epi in the States and build it up in BJ? You should have no problem getting anything you need, with the exception of RF crankset you mentioned in our Epi build thread. I'll get those in NA and some parts like an e13(if you need one). Otherwise, drivetrain components and the basic stuff are easily obtainable here.
    About the tax thing, they never tax anybody coming into China. It's only when you have postal packages, and especially courier packages that they're interested in and take a look at the bill on the box and tax you a whopping 25% on it. I got burnt once like that.
    If you have any questions, just let me know.
    PS, that last pic of that mountain that pours into the river looks insanely steep. Do you figure it's rideable somehow?
    1+1: Jin Sha Moon Bay mountain must be at least 1000 ft tall, if you start one thing is for sure: You will not stop until you reach the bottom! I suppose there must be some crazy young kid somewhere who would give it a try. I would not, unless I was diagnosed terminal. Then I would go out big time.
    Can get RF here in BJ - just put an RF DeusXC integrated crank on the Truth to replace the wiped out XTR rings. The chain actually started sliding over the teeth, I like to ride things until they break :-) I think my LBS is tapped into some kind of "gray market" for certain brands of components.
    I hear you on ZD. I think it is just a bit too high in altitude for general comfort, especially in winter. And, I do not really like Zang food overall too salty and oily for one thing. Its interesting that when we stayed in the Zang village of Yubeng, the cook for the communal kitchen was a Bai zu ren from Dali. And, he cooked very good dishes.
    Actually I very much prefer Lijiang. There is a place there called Wen Bi Shan (Cultural Pen Mountain) overlooking the famous migratory bird lake there with no known in or out stream. It is riddled with singletracks in a beautiful pine forest set in the hills. And Naxi food is quite delicious.
    Anyway, I'll get my Epi built and be there as soon as I can! I'll buy the beer...

is this thing on?
    if your talking about the BiMa pic, I know of some stuff around there. you can get to the lansan from there, but it's tricky.

wish I was going to be back this winter. then again, it's pretty good around here.

1+1
    going for a ride
    OldHorse, I hear you on the food in ZD, though Ernesto know of a few good places to eat. What bothers me the most is the lack of fresh water in and around the town itself.
    Good to hear that you can get RF components in BJ. It's difficult to get them in Kunming now where I get some of my parts and such. I'm also running Deux XC crankset on my Knolly, would have preferred something else, maybe a Diablous or Saint but I have those sitting around, and so far no complaints.
    I've never ridden in Lijiang, Actually I haven't been to Lijiang in 10 years, it's gotten too touristy for my liking. But the place around the lake sounds interesting, maybe the next time I go up to ZD, I'll stop and have a ride around there. This year I'm keen to ride Haba snow mountain and maybe Tiger Leaping Gorge(upper path). But then again, it's not like I'm running out of stuff to ride right out my front door.

Ernesto, does that mean you won't be back this winter then? I hear you on the snow, but then again I just want to ride my bike for now.

is this thing on?
    there is one good Indian joint and a couple muslem places and a few hotpots that are worthy. but nothing like a night out at Kings.

that Deux XC stuff should hold out fine for you. you should see my new HT, not a shimano part on it and soon to be running a RF chain guide with a 36tooth. time to put the hurt on

if you head to lijiang, try to get a hold of chay, he knows a couple good dh trails near by. take a piss on the golf course on the way up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast