Tad
    enormous member
    Jan 2004

Buying online in Japan from overseas ...

Has anyone in Japan bought bike stuff over the net from other countries?? I'm looking for special parts that aren't in stock in Japan or or are just way over priced over here (Phil Wood, Kona rigid fork etc.) I'm wondering what import duties are like over here, how long it takes and any stores you can recommend/advise against.

Anyone have any experiences, good or bad?

mtbr member

My $.02 on buying bike stuff in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tad
    Has anyone in Japan bought bike stuff over the net from other countries?? I'm looking for special parts that aren't in stock in Japan or or are just way over priced over here (Phil Wood, Kona rigid fork etc.) I'm wondering what import duties are like over here, how long it takes and any stores you can recommend/advise against.

Good experience with JensonUSA. See thread for details:
    JensonUSA

Bad experience with SuperGo. See thread for details:
    SuperGo

Inside of Japan, good prices, great service, great speed and very satisfied with Cycle Life Shop:
    http://www.cycle-life.com/

I dealt with Hasegawa-san, who speaks only Japanese, but if that's a not a barrier for you, I can highly recommend them.

Regarding parts, it will probably turn out to be cheaper and/or easier to order a lot of stuff from overseas, particularly if you can make it into one order. However, you'll probably have a very difficult time trying to have a bike shipped over here. The only people I know in Japan with bikes have either purchased their bike in Japan or physically brought their bike with them on the plane they took over here.

Hope that information is helpful, and if you have any further questions, please let me know.

mtbr member

Online bike experience

Quote Originally Posted by Tad

I have Ordered a bike and severl parts from the states from three different companys. I Ordered my bike from a shop in AZ and they charged me $170 for shipping the total cost of the bike as aposed to buying the same bike here Nevermind that they don't stock my size frame 20" ws still $200 cheaper than buying it here in Japan. Shop around though as shipping will always be a killer for heavy items. You may be able to get the parts locally for less.

I have dealt with Jensonusa.com and Wheelworld.com both are good and the orders where shipped quickly I recieved them after about a week. JensonUSA did require me to call for verification of my credit card since it was issued by an overseas bank and it ws my first time. after that though I can complete all orders online if the same card is used.
    Wheelworld was easier but a little slower ( Item out of stock) but I would order from either of these companies again.

I hope I was of some help. good luck in finding the stuff your looking for.

There is no import duties on any bike accesories and parts (most are built here anyway) according to a man i talked with at Japan customs office prior to ordering my bike from the states in 2003