rider
    Feb 2008

Bringing a mountain bike to Chaing Mai Thailand.

Hi all,

I am an american student, getting ready to spend a year abroad in thailand.
    I have learned that Chaing Mai, the city I will be studying abroad in, is the mountain bike capital of SE Asia.

I am an avid mountain biker and I am considering bringing my bike with me, but I just have a few logistical questions.

1) Will I have to pay duty/ custom fees on bringing the bike into the country, The bike is a 2012 Ibis Mojo HD & I know i will be paying extra freight, but not sure about duty fees.

2) How do you get from the city to the trails? Are there trails that you can ride too from downtown; or do you need to be driven out to them.

If you do need to drive to the trails how do you do it? Do they let you bring bikes on tuk-tuks and songtaws? I will have no access to a car, and so if it is too much of a hassle to get to the trails I will leave the bike at home.

3) Rental availability: I know that there are plenty of places that offer rental mtbs, and guide services, but do any of them offer high-end bikes. I am a pretty aggressive rider and would destroy most of the bikes I see pictures of.

If I can make this work I definitely want to bring it, but also wanted to talk to someone who has done this before before hopping on the plane Friday.

Thanks,
    ben

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You may have to pay duties/customs if you ship your bike. I've included a link that you can follow and might be able to find the information you desire. If you've never been to Thailand before you will love it. If you have money you can get anything you want including your bike on a Tuk Tuk.

Adventure and Excursion tours Chiang Mai Thailand - offers adventure tours, mountain biking downhill, cross country.

rider
    Feb 2008
    Thanks looks like ill be bringing the bike. I leave tommorow and will definatly check out that company.

Can anyone chime in on good bike shops/ good rides in the chaing mai area?

Thanks,
    ben

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    You will have no problems bringing a bike in if it is obviously used- we have done it many times. Never heard of anyone having to pay customs.

There is one small operation that does serious downhilling and has a rental fleet of 7" travel Konas (all in small sizes, unfortunately). Bring your Mojo. There several other mass market operations that take tourists on 6 foot wide rutted tracks. Once you hook up with the first group, they will be able to show you the trails. I'll PM you the details when I dig them up later.

There are a couple of decent bike stores in town, but they are much more expensive than US mail order so don't rely on them for anything besides consumables.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Womble is spot on, bring your bike with you on the flight. Check the airline options, some companies will let you bring a bike as sporting goods FOC others will charge. Use a bike case, better than getting it damaged and easier to cart around. Do not send unaccompanied as then Thai customs might try to hit you up for duty and it is a hefty 40% - ouch!! Never heard of anyone being charged when hand carrying through as baggage.

Check out bicyclethailand-dot-com, lots of good info on there. Also a new site just started up Single Track Thailand - Facebook page. Also head over to ThaiVisa-dot-com go into the forums and there is a cycling group under sports and hobbies. A few CM riders on there - look out for T_Dog he has done a lot of riding in that area.

CM has some great trails, but so does the rest of Thailand, even close to Bangkok or within an hour or two drive. If you have ever Hashed (Hash House Harriers) there are also several Bike Hashes in Thailand. The big one is in Bangkok but they mainly do road trips as well, good fun way to meet people.

Check out the links above and get in touch. A few of us are planning a road trip to CM in November for 4-5 days riding. Mountain biking in Thailand is great - you will have a blast!

Cheers - Peter

PS sorry about the long hand links, don't have enough posts to paste url's yet, but working on it

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Also check out the thread on this forum titled 'Thailand Mountain Bike' started by Travis Bickle Dec. 2010 - he has compiled a bunch of MTB videos from Thailand

rider
    Feb 2008
    in case anyone is wondering, no problem getting the bike here, just 120$ each way on thai airways.

looking forward to getting out there, soon as these trails dry up a bit.

Ill keep you posted on any rides I find.

rider
    Feb 2008
    not quite sure what hashing is,
    the only hash I know of is sadly very illegal here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by psycoben View Post
    not quite sure what hashing is,
    the only hash I know of is sadly very illegal here.
    Hey psycoben - glad to hear you arrived OK and your bike as well

Hashing is usually described as 'drinkers with a running problem' and basically involves following a paper trail, solving checks and false trails along the way. At the end of the trail there is normally quite a bit of beer drinking You can either run, walk, shortcut or even just hang around and guard the beer truck. It's a great way to meet local people when you arrive in a new place. Bike Hashing (or Bashing) is basically drinkers with a biking problem and instead of two feet you use two wheels to follow the trail. More info can be found at bangkokbikehash.org

I did list some more links in my post above (1 week ago) but until I get the 10 posts required am unable to post the direct links. Working on it..... as soon as I can I will - much easier to click on links I guess

As mentioned; a few of us planning to head up to CM in November for a road trip. In the mean time get over to Thaivisa dot com and search out the cycling in Thailand forum. Once there contact T_Bird and Tonto21 who are local CM riders and know lots of trails. (my name on TV is Yotspeed).

Also check out Single Track Thailand Facebook page.

As soon as I get the 10 count in lots of other contact sites I can let you have.

Happy biking......