ordinary member
    Feb 2011

Bike apparel shop in shanghai & beijing (DH&FR)

Hi, in a few more days I'm having a trip to shanghai & beijing for holiday
    anyone know any good place that sells good downhill and freeride stuff (clothing, protective, gloves, helmet)? By good I mean it's a well known brand (read: Fox, TLD)
    If possible give me the directions too
    thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Mountain biking is very popular in China. However this is 99% XC, you may struggle to find a tire over a 2.1 in a shop. You won't find much in the shops anyway, but many reasonably priced goodies are on Taobao (Chinese ebay). http://www.taobao.com A Chinese friend can help you order anything you need. But beware of fake bars, stems, posts, frames and saddles.

1+1
    going for a ride
    DH/FR parts in China are as rare as thunderstorms in the Gobi. Sometimes though, you can find something on taobao. TLD's and Fox are popular brands here, but there are tons of fake Fox stuff so be careful, if the price sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Decent tires over 2.3" are hard to come by, I got all mine from the US or somewhere else online. As for frames, SC and Intense are popular here for dh frames, if you're into that. And for the riding, gotta say east coast China leaves much to be desired unless you like 30 minute climbs and 2 minute straight down no brakes descents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1
    gotta say east coast China leaves much to be desired unless you like 30 minute climbs and 2 minute straight down no brakes descents.
    Yes of course the thousands of square kilometers that make up the eastern part of the entire country are all crap for mountain biking, bar none? It's like saying that all Americans chew gum and herd cattle! It isn't about high high the peak, it's about how close by your riding is and how steep the slopes and how many paths there are. My local mountains are about topographically the same as the Scottish Highlands peaking out at about 1500 meters (5000ft), which means a three hour walk up and a brake melting up 30 minute descent. Nowhere has any lift access anyhow.

1+1
    going for a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by lew242 View Post
    Yes of course the thousands of square kilometers that make up the eastern part of the entire country are all crap for mountain biking, bar none? It's like saying that all Americans chew gum and herd cattle! It isn't about high high the peak, it's about how close by your riding is and how steep the slopes and how many paths there are. My local mountains are about topographically the same as the Scottish Highlands peaking out at about 1500 meters (5000ft), which means a three hour walk up and a brake melting up 30 minute descent. Nowhere has any lift access anyhow.
    Not trying to piss on the 'mountains' out east or anything. And why do you have to bring 'mericans and gum and ranching into this? 3 hour walk up means for a 30 minute descent means flatness, just plot a path on google earth, not steepness. I'm sure there are some technical stuff out east, but it's like trying to compare east coast to say, BC?

mtbr member
    3 hour walk up means for a 30 minute descent means flatness
    No it doesn't, could be be fast and flatter or slow steep technical and rocky or both

but it's like trying to compare east coast to say BC?
    No BC has lifts, we both have to walk, you just have the opportunity to walk higher up!

If the trails you ride on are great, that's great! There is no need to be 'better' than every other location. Makes you seem insecure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes, You can buy from taobao.com. Because price on taobao is cheaper than the local shop. I'm consider buying a new bike from taobao, but my friend highly recommend Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 for me and he has sent link to me, anyone know this site smalltao.com? How about Decathlon Rockrider 8.1? I prefer Decathlon Rockrider 6.0 because the price is cheaper.

mtbr member
    Actually screw taobao, there is no warranty on there, and half the products advertised on there are not available, fakes are a real problem and lots of things are wrongly advertised. Although it is good for hunting out the odd bargains, such as cheap unused older components like 2008 forks and shocks for example.

Buying online from chain reaction makes more sense, 0% sales tax if you are in China, mostly free shipping, warranty and returns too. You just need a credit or debit card.