mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Beijing Ride Report Mar 27, 2008

Actually, this is a report for two days - 3/26 and 3/27. Rode back to back days, at my age that's doing ok.
    Weather very nice, mostly sunny a few passing clouds. Strong NW wind, gusting to 30 mph. High temps in mid 50s to low 60s, depending on altitude. Bone dry, about 15% RH. As I write this on the 28th its raining and we needed it very badly.
    Both days did the same route out and up, starting the climb on the north side at Tai Zhou Wu. This is a fire road and used to be dirt but they paved it last year. On 3/26 took the downhill cutoff on the "Not Safe to Ride Trail" and back home through Xiang Shan past the botanical gardens. On 3/27 finished the climb and downhill towards the reservoir past the Armor Hanging Tower. The main purpose of the 3/27 ride was to get out to a remote western area and re-discover an old destroyed temple. I found about two years ago and decided to go back and get some pics.
    Some specifics on the pics:
    Temple Gate - this is about all that is left of this place
    Tunnel - this is under the Armor Hanging Tower. Didn't get a good pic of the tower, maybe next time
    Fire Warning - Lots of peach blossom in the background, the sign basically says in dry weather with withered grass and yellow leaves be vigilant about fire protection
    Bare Trees - nice view of the city peeking out behind the branches
    Epi Pose - right at the top of the Not Safe to Ride Trail
    Broken Stele - damage at the temple. I don't what this temple is and no one I know even knows its there. There is no lettering left anywhere so I can't identify anything. Must be old.
    Temple Excavate and Sub - The foundation of the temple is still there and looks like someone has done some excavating. I stuck my camera in the hole and the flash showed the inside. No way I would go in there alone, if it collapsed they would never find me. Looks kind like a scene from Blair Witch Project
    Azure Peach - You can just make out the Temple of Azure Clouds in the center background.
    Anyway, enjoy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OldHorse; 03-28-2008 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Edited to add another photo and note

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ride report

Do you have any problems with anyone trying to steal your bike in China.

I've been told I might have some problems in the poorer regions of China(Gansu) with people trying to steal my bike while I'm riding it( thinking I'm a rich gawlo).

Just trying to work out which bike I should Take??

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdamo
    Thanks for the ride report

Do you have any problems with anyone trying to steal your bike in China.

I've been told I might have some problems in the poorer regions of China(Gansu) with people trying to steal my bike while I'm riding it( thinking I'm a rich gawlo).

Just trying to work out which bike I should Take??
    Bigdamo:
    I've never had anyone directly try to separate me from my bike. But, China is a big place so I suppose anything is possible. People don't have guns here and any kind of violence especially against foreigners is likely to receive a very harsh response. I think it would be rare to find anyone who has the courage to assault someone just to steal their bike.
    I'd be more concerned about sneak thieves breaking into your room or wherever you are staying and snatching the bike. So best to never, ever leave her alone. And, when people ask you how much the bike cost don't tell them its 40,000 RMB! They have no real idea of its value so no sense in tempting them with that kind of money.
    Gansu province has a lot of Tibetan people's areas and as you can imagine, security is very tight. So, the locals are probably a little fearful of getting out of line. And, maybe they even want to be extra special nice to non-Chinese right now
    The situation will depend somewhat on where you actually ride at. If you stick to the main roads nothing will ever happen to you because there will be police everywhere. But, if strike off on your own to some remote mountain single-track that even Chinese outdoor travelers don't go to, you can't be sure who you will encounter. If you do encounter some kind of "opportunitistic bandits", my advice would be to be to simply try to ride away. If that's not possible, display harsh aggression in return. If they have the balls to try and steal your bike from you, they probably have the balls to go further. The worst thing they will have is a knife, so maybe carry one of your own (never let the police know you have it).
    When are you going to Gansu? Weren't you planning on Xinjiang?

mtbr member
    A useful tip from an insider (I was born in Beijing). Never ever leave your money or any valuables in the hotel when you go out. Chances are pretty good that the cleaning maid will steal it, knowing there's a rich foreigner staying in that room.

I don't know about security in Xinjiang... never been there. But in Beijing it is very safe at all times of the hr. Criminals there are aware of the severe consequences if they're caught. Remember China have the most death sentences in the world. Heck, you can get a bullet in the back of your head just for petty theft, and your family/relatives will get a bill for that piece of lead.

dft
    mtbr member
    you still trying to ride the Dali area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHorse
    Bigdamo:
    I've never had anyone directly try to separate me from my bike. But, China is a big place so I suppose anything is possible. People don't have guns here and any kind of violence especially against foreigners is likely to receive a very harsh response. I think it would be rare to find anyone who has the courage to assault someone just to steal their bike.
    I'd be more concerned about sneak thieves breaking into your room or wherever you are staying and snatching the bike. So best to never, ever leave her alone. And, when people ask you how much the bike cost don't tell them its 40,000 RMB! They have no real idea of its value so no sense in tempting them with that kind of money.
    Gansu province has a lot of Tibetan people's areas and as you can imagine, security is very tight. So, the locals are probably a little fearful of getting out of line. And, maybe they even want to be extra special nice to non-Chinese right now
    The situation will depend somewhat on where you actually ride at. If you stick to the main roads nothing will ever happen to you because there will be police everywhere. But, if strike off on your own to some remote mountain single-track that even Chinese outdoor travelers don't go to, you can't be sure who you will encounter. If you do encounter some kind of "opportunitistic bandits", my advice would be to be to simply try to ride away. If that's not possible, display harsh aggression in return. If they have the balls to try and steal your bike from you, they probably have the balls to go further. The worst thing they will have is a knife, so maybe carry one of your own (never let the police know you have it).
    When are you going to Gansu? Weren't you planning on Xinjiang?

I am planning on going to Xinjiang .

Gansu is one of the next provinences to Xinjiang.We where planning to take a trip to somewhere between Linxia and Xiahe.It looks like I have access to a shuttle(hopefully shuttle up the mountains and ride down the mountains between the villages) and want to take my bike but I have been told not too.

OldHorse I sent you a PM