Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Beijing Ride Report - Jan 16, 2008

4K views 26 replies 5 participants last post by  austin_bike 
#1 ·
Went out for a spin today on the Epiphany, the usual loop out to the Xiang Shan area open space, climb the fire road at Tai Zhou Wu, downhill the "Not Safe to Ride Trail" and back home. Little more than usual sub-3 hour time, but the wind was blowing and I also had to stop once to warm up my toes:)
Conditions were very sunny, no clouds but cold and somewhat windy. High temp today was around 28 F (-2 C). Quite a bit colder up on the ridge, maybe around 20 F (-6/7 C). Winds around 10 mph (16 kph) from the north:eek:
Round trip about 35 miles (55 km).
Here's a pic I took from the fireroad just before jumping onto the single track below where I am standing. Facing southeast looking out directly across the center of Beijing. In the center left background in the flat open area is Kunming lake at the Summer Palace. Nestled in the small valley at the base of the ridge with the singletrack is the Beijing Botanical Gardens. No flowers this time of year!
Actually the air quality today was very good, it just looks much worse than it seems. I could see the city center but its not evident in the photograph. I'm standing 500+ meters above the city floor and the nearest high-rise buildings you can see are more than 10 miles (16 km) away. Its the northwest section of the city just inside the 5th ring road. As you can see its very dry here in the winter and when the wind blows a good amount of dust gets into the atmosphere. It might snow this weekend which should be a lot of fun:thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.