Thread: Beijing, China

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Beijing, China

I plan to be in Beijing for a couple of weeks next year, and would love to spend a day mountain bike riding. Does anyone know of any easily accessible trails (hopefully something scenic and spectacular!) and also where I could hire a good quality, dual suspension bike for the day?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jesus4c
    I plan to be in Beijing for a couple of weeks next year, and would love to spend a day mountain bike riding. Does anyone know of any easily accessible trails (hopefully something scenic and spectacular!) and also where I could hire a good quality, dual suspension bike for the day?
    Jesus:

Welcome to Beijing. What time of year are you coming here?
    Beijing has great mountain biking and a growing mtb community here. There's an organized club of mostly expats that has every weekend organized rides including transportation. Google Beijing MOB mountain bike or something like that and you will find it.
    Where you ride will depend greatly on where you are staying and how well you can get around. Beijing is a big city, big as LA. 15 million people. Ringed by mountains. The MOB group bus always departs from the east side on the 3rd ring road near the Sheraton Great Wall. If you are close to that, that is probably what you want to do.

If you are on the far northwest side (like me) you can ride to mountain trails directly. Otherwise, you will need to take a taxi or drive somehow.

There are several places you can get high-end MTB for rent. The MOB can help you with that as part of the whole ride package (they charge 80 RMB for the bus, about 8 euros).

If you don't speak Chinese, I strongly recommend the MOB route.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

BJ singletrack

Beijing has some really awesome single tracks. I ride these a couple times a week.
    BJ is generally dry except for the monsoonal pattern in July/August. So the riding is dusty and rocky. Exciting.
    Some pics from several seasons.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for that, OldHorse! I'm going over there for the Olympics in August next year - part of the media contingent from Australia, and I think I'll be staying very close to all the main Olympic action - within the International Broadcast Centre near the Birds Nest, I think. And I hope to be staying for a week or 2 after the Games finish

I will certainly Google Beijing MOB, coz that sounds exactly what I'm after. I don't speak a word of Chinese, so some friendly expats to show me around would be very much appreciated.

And lovely photos, OldHorse! Great scenery and great-looking bike!! I really hope time and the weather will allow me to do this. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jesus4c
    Thanks for that, OldHorse! I'm going over there for the Olympics in August next year - part of the media contingent from Australia, and I think I'll be staying very close to all the main Olympic action - within the International Broadcast Centre near the Birds Nest, I think. And I hope to be staying for a week or 2 after the Games finish

I will certainly Google Beijing MOB, coz that sounds exactly what I'm after. I don't speak a word of Chinese, so some friendly expats to show me around would be very much appreciated.

And lovely photos, OldHorse! Great scenery and great-looking bike!! I really hope time and the weather will allow me to do this. Thanks for your help.
    J4C: I figured you were talking about Olympics time when you said you would come to BJ next year. Ugh! August. Well, it can either be "ok" weather or unbearable. Last week was fairly comfortable, highs in the upper 80sF (about 31C) and moderate humidity. Yesterday was well over 35C with a horrifying heat index of more than 40C! Like being in a sauna. Since you will be here for several weeks you are likely to encounter both.

The National Stadium (birds nest) and the main Olympic venue area is around the north fifth ring road. That's not close to the MOB bus pickup/dropoff spot and its not close to the west side mountains either. You'll have to work out a transportation option.

I suggest you contact the MOB guys and see if they have some detailed suggestions. Sometimes they will pickup people if they are located on the route the bus will take to the trailhead. Actually, I have only ridden once with them as I am far away from their east side rendezvouz. By the time I take the taxi to get to where ever they are I could already be heavily into one of my own killer rides. But, they do have a very nice selection of various ride routes that they schedule for each weekend of the summer. They vary in difficulty and usually there is two groups - the hardcore and the pleasure-riders. Some of their rides are very pleasing as they involve incredible locations such as Great Wall or Ming Tombs.

Let me know if you need further assistance or information.

Cheers.