Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Anyone riding in Xinjiang, China

Hi
    Anyone riding or has ridden in Xinjiang,China.Thinking of going there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Have not ridden there, but I'm moving to China in July and hoping to do lots of riding around China. Have you ridden elsewhere in China? I'll be in Shanghai, bringing road and mountain bikes... I've thought of doing the Lhasa - Katmandu ride, which I drove a few years ago. Let me know if you learn anything about riding in Xinjiang or anywhere else in China.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I ride in Dali, Yunnan, it's fun here, better in the winter when it's dry. Tight singletrack, fireroads the usual nice stuff, mostly unridden and nobody out here. Very happy to be riding out here.

is this thing on?
    if you want some decent info on Tibet and some bits of Xinjiang try getting a hold of Janne Corax. his web page is under constuction, and I'm not giving out his e mail. posably the biggest living resorce when it comes to cyclling through western china, and a supper nice guy to boot.

hi achawalla, be seeing you soon.

mtbr member
    Achawalla maybe you should try Xinjiang in summer in winter it is covered by snow most of it that would be worth riding i think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

is this thing on?
    hmmm maybe you should be giving us info... much like Achawalla, I spend a lot of time riding in Yunnan in the winters. will be back in Yunnan in July and staying till mid december or so. Qinghai is in the top of the list for any out of Yunnan excurtions this summer. Always up for checking out something new.

Fall in Yunnan is pure gold, cant think on any place I'd rather be between late sept and dec.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Nice pics, bigdamo, really wish I can get out of here and go ride up in Xinjiang. Yeah, Yunnan has mountains like that, but not that much snow where I live, it's more south, but we have 4000m peaks just in front of us. Fall and winter are the best time to be around here, summer is a mudslidefest at the best of times. Winter is sunny, dry and just really great riding weather in general. If you ever in the area, let me know, that is if we are not out somewhere else.
    Hey Ernesto, you have yourself a safe trip out here.

mtbr member
    I'm not in Xinjiang yet.Thinking of moving there maybe next year.I was there in 2000.When i was there i could see mountains in the distance and they took me out to Tan sein(i think)which looked like it had great riding on the sheep trails going up into the mountains no fences but i didn't have my bike with me.I don't think they have seen anyone riding a mtb bike up there before.They certainly have not seen too many Westerner's(gaylos).

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There almost no mtb scene out here in China, in western China anyways, I've lived here for 3.5 years and ridden 2 years here and I have yet to meet somebody on a bike on the trails. That means nobody to see your embarassing moments, or anybody going up or down the wrong way. You would get a lot of stares, I'm used to it, I'm not a gaylo(laowai), not too obvious anyways, but still a foreigner, and on a bike in the middle of nowhere, if somebody sees you, they're bound to gawk. I've been asked many times, what the fark I'm doing on a bike on what they consider an otherwise unrideable trail. But to me those trails are pure gold, unridden, maybe by Ernesto, maybe, he was out here riding before me, but nobody else would consider getting mud or denting their shiny Chinese made mountain bikes out there on the mountain. Yeah, there are literally thousands of kilometers of unridden terrain out here, a lot of sheep, goat, horse trails waiting to be ripped up. And because you'll likely to be the only one out there, no damage is ever done to the trails by other riders, and best of all, no restrictions on what you can and cannot ride, if you want to ride it, it's all yours. You'll have lots of fun up in Xinjiang, I'm sure. That's one place in China that I'll consider moving to, if we ever do get out of Dali.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    BUMP,bump

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Smile Shanghai is good place for living and riding!

Hi, everyone, I am living in Shanghai,I like moutain bikes,and my friend has a bike shop,
    if you go to Shanghai for riding, maybe she can help you.
    The following is her shop introduction:
    We are one of the most famous bike shops in China, and have all kinds of bikes and accessories for your choosing! You will feel more comfortable as we can speak English well, and most of our customers are foreigners.
    Address: No.357 YinShan Rd, Pu Dong,Shanghai,China
    Tel: 021-50751084 Contact: Stella
    Anything needed, please login our web: [SIZE="4"]www.bicycleshop.cn[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Would you have Iron Horse bikes there particlarly MK111

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

In China, no Ironhorse,

In China, now Giant is the NO.1 brand for bikes, Trek just came in ,and Spelized also will come end this year, but Trek and Specialized are weak, as TREK bikes made by GIANT, SPECIALIZED made by MERIDA. Spend same money, Giant will much more valuable. For example,the cheapest GIANT carbon frame MCM TEAM, sells around 6,000 RMB, but TREK you will spend double.And you know, GIANT is the first bicycle factory to produce mass carbon frame.So which one you will select? Ironhorse also has a OEM factory in Shenzhen,CHINA.China now is the bicycle producing base of the world.
    Except TREK, SPECIALIZED, FUJI, MOGOOSE, LOISE and a lot of brand now entered or will enter this market for sale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamriver
    In China, now Giant is the NO.1 brand for bikes, Trek just came in ,and Spelized also will come end this year, but Trek and Specialized are weak, as TREK bikes made by GIANT, SPECIALIZED made by MERIDA. Spend same money, Giant will much more valuable. For example,the cheapest GIANT carbon frame MCM TEAM, sells around 6,000 RMB, but TREK you will spend double.And you know, GIANT is the first bicycle factory to produce mass carbon frame.So which one you will select? Ironhorse also has a OEM factory in Shenzhen,CHINA.China now is the bicycle producing base of the world.
    Except TREK, SPECIALIZED, FUJI, MOGOOSE, LOISE and a lot of brand now entered or will enter this market for sale.
    Thats great that China is getting access to these bikes.Now all you have to do is get some Chinese on these bikes and out on some true single track MTB trails I think there is alot of good riding out there just waiting to be ridden.My wife and her family think A: I'm crazy spending all that money on a bike B taking that said bike off road on what they think is unrideable terrain,C falling off said bike and hurting myself after paying so much money for no financial gain.Maybe I'll start MTBing off in Xinjiang

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Now more and more Chinese people like bike sports, because there are a lot of bicycle brands enter into this market, they will hold a lot of activities to attract people to join in.This August LOUIS GARNEAU will enter.

is this thing on?
    I've been seeing high end hardtails in china for the last five year, specialized GT and merinda for at least that long so I'm a little confused by what you mean. there a good shop in Kunming that has been going for 10 or so years, some of those guys ride some pretty flash bikes, elsworth, dabomb and a demo 8 have been seen of the streets of Kunming. suspention parts are very exspensive and hard to find, but a compleat shimano line up is very easy to come by and you can buy a rockhopper or simmiler frame for 1200RMB.

the flying ball in Hong Kong is posably the best shop in northen asia. they can hook you up with any thing you need for a price.

never assume you the only one out there, I rode around Dali for a month and never met Achawala, he ended up contacting me through a company I work for. it's more the type of riding that we do in the west (I'm a B.C. boy) that gets that differs from the locals, they tend to vear toward the dirt roady side of things. plus there have been some core cycle tourist riding through these parts for years. I couple guys i know rode the Tiger leaping gourge way before it was a paved road.

keep the rubber side down kids.

mtbr member
    How about full suspension trail bikes,down hill or free ride bikes.I had a hard time when i was in China( Guangzhou and Urumqi and Shihezi)Finding any bike store That stocked these bikes yeah i know the ones in Hong Kong and Taiwan.My Wife is from China and said there is bike shops in Guangzhou that have these high end bike shops but she never took me there maybe she was scared that i would start buying up big I didn't find any in Urumpi and she said you wouldn't and she was originally from that part of the world and her family still is.I would be surprised if i was the only one MTBing in the Tian shan mountain range seeing as though it is 2500klms long and 250-350 kmls wide but i have only heard of people doing mtb touring not hard core MTBing.I hope to flush anyone out before i go over there and start riding because i know there is good riding there and it would be a shame to do it all by myself By the way i am also trying to find out about the snow skiing there.I know they have one resort but can't find much about it.I'm thinking the skiing is good but cold and probably alot of back country skiing?Any info would be appreciated. Ernesto when you said you where a B C boy did you mean British Colombia?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    As far as I know too, I'm the only one Mtbing a 70 something km range of mountains peaking at 4000m (though I've never been that high), yeah, it'll be nice sometimes to share the trails, but MTB is really still in its infancy in China. I guess we should enjoy that while it last.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Fake frames

Most of Specialized and GT frames in China now is fake.As most frame company have the ability to produce this kind of frames, almost the same, if you do not know bikes too much, you can not distinguish it.

is this thing on?
    snow eh!, I'm heading out to Western Sichaun this fall/winter to scout and hoping to have some real beta fo the spring of '08 for some thing big. the snow pack in Yunnan is too fickal for me to deal with, any thing substantual is way too high (4000m ++) to be much fun. though I ride my bike up there so WTF. anything lower the sun kills it in a couple days. the town I "live in" in Yunnan is at 3300m and i'm basing all my info on this area.

in Xinjiang you should not have too much trouble finding some snow to slide on. be careful out there, I've never dug any pits around here but I'm thinking the supper dry snowpack with long periods inbetween dumps could spell some scarry layers. but thats just a guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto
    snow eh!, I'm heading out to Western Sichaun this fall/winter to scout and hoping to have some real beta fo the spring of '08 for some thing big. the snow pack in Yunnan is too fickal for me to deal with, any thing substantual is way too high (4000m ++) to be much fun. though I ride my bike up there so WTF. anything lower the sun kills it in a couple days. the town I "live in" in Yunnan is at 3300m and i'm basing all my info on this area.

in Xinjiang you should not have too much trouble finding some snow to slide on. be careful out there, I've never dug any pits around here but I'm thinking the supper dry snowpack with long periods inbetween dumps could spell some scarry layers. but thats just a guess.
    Yeah i know they have alot of snow Xinjiang and I'm thinking it is the dry powder variety as they Tian shan mountains are surround by alot of desert so I'm hoping it might be like Utah snowBut it is COLD like -30c COLD I've skied at Lake Louise at -20 and that was DAM cold and at Whistler they closed the Mountain when they got a cold snap and it was -25c for a week.I have heard they have a ski run/runs there but can't find where Heavenly Mountain i think?i have heard that the Chinese are looking to pour some money into a ski resorts in Xinjiang.I've been back country skiing in Canada but with other people and they knew what they where doing i have not much idea.Back Country ski-ing in China might be a little dangerous I have heard they do get big dumps though

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    bigdamo, I'm hoping you go out when the time comes around and give us a report. I'm dying to ride, on snow, that is. Good to hear that you've skied Lake Louise, I used to live in Banff a long time ago before I discovered Dali and LL was one of my favorite all around mountain, except when it gets that cold like you said, but those days are not frequent, I assure you, except a few days in Dec, Jan and Feb. Just have to watch out for frostbite. Backcountry should not be attempted alone, I agree, but it's not easy to find somebody with avy knowledge, beacons etc out here, and I'm rusty, 10 years not being on the snow. But would still love to go, if the conditions are right. Damn, all the things I want to do this year, that HP enduro in India and getting back on the snow again. I'm going to have to start playing the lottery....

is this thing on?
    funny eh, I spent a few years in the lake as lifty. gets damn cold for sure. learned my BC skills in the rockies snow pack before getting bit by the travel bug. now I'm trying to do both. Achawalla and I have a freakish amount in common.

BTW bro, heading up to Litiang for the horse festival in early august for a little high elevation binge drinking. don't know how much room there is in the jeep, but if you have the time and the liver I'll see what I can do!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Bro, thanks for the offer, but my liver is all but destroyed from all the years(when I was young and foolish) of indiscriminate indulgence in mind altering substances. The last time I had a drink and enjoyed it was back in May. But would love to get pissed when I feel strong again, I know, I'm such a wuss, sorry. Plus work and the family, you know, days go by too fast around here. Anyways, we welcome you anytime to come stay, hang out and chill.

mtbr member
    One of these photos looks to have ski runs on the Mountain face what do you reckon Thats if these photos come out all right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast