Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tokyo Riders! Unite!

23K views 85 replies 23 participants last post by  replicant 
#1 ·
I have been in Tokyo for a few years, and have my japanese driving license, but have no car.

As you know, owning a car in Tokyo is expensive and I have no need for one (other than going riding).

If anyone out here is going on day trips, or weekend trips (Fujimi, or any area nearby). Then lets try to get together and split the transport costs. I can rent a MPV if no one has anything.

So, if you live in the Tokyo area post up here!

#58 ·
It does look a little far. But I just can't seem to find any interested people in riding locally. I have searched around and found trails locally and have ridden but riding alone can prove to be boring and dangerous. I haven't been riding very long less than a year but I am more than willing to try and test my limits but I also don't want to slow anyone down. If you know of any other trails near around Yokosuka, Kamakura, etc... Please let me know. I think I'm going to try out Duck Pond this weekend.

#59 ·
We usually start riding around 0700 but going to Sagamiko is a bit of a drive for us as well so we will probably start around 0800 this time. What type of bike do you ride? This trail is best ridden on a full suspension bike. I don't know anything about the riding near Yokosuka.

If your really interested and feel you can handle a technical trail ride your welcome to join us. There's never a problem waiting on a guy who isn't comfortable with the ride. This ride is a bit tough since we will hike a bike for about a hour before we even get to the down hill portion of the trail.

#60 ·
I have a full suspension. It is my first FS, and coming from a Trek hardtail it is a lot different. It's a Fuji Outland Pro and it is what I would consider an entry level FS , it has a decent set up though. Rock Shox Reba with remote lock out, Rock Shox Ario rear and Shimano SLX components.

I'm not against the hike to bike route, but not sure if I will make it out that far this weekend, but maybe another time. I appriciate all the help you have been providing.

Of topic though are you using the GoPro chest mounting system? Looking to get something to start documenting my rides and saw that online so I was wondering what you were using since your videos are pretty stable.

Attachments

#62 ·
We rode Gongen today and it was a lot of fun. There were 11 riders 5 Americans, 1 Canadian and 5 Japanese. The trail was dry and fast. Couldn't ask for a better day to ride.

Alanw, we ride nearly every weekend so when ever you have time just let me know and I will let you know which trail we will be hitting.

#65 ·
I am in Yokosuka and am down for riding whenever. Waiting on my bike to get here (next week at the latest). I have been riding for about 18 years, but am coming back from a 1.5 year break due to injury.

My rigs are a Kona 2+2 and a Kona Steely. We can pretty much hit anything.

I have trail maps/GPS coordinates for a lot of the area trails. Takatori Yama is close to Ikego and gets good praise from the local japanese riders.

Let me know if you want to get together.

#70 ·
Ghost town is always a good ride. I rode Ogusayama last time I went and and had a blast. It is a hike a bike uphill but from there it is a fun downhill. I got lost at the end of the trail and rode around forever trying to find the trailhead again but if you have a GPS we can mark it. I'm ready to ride either Sat or Sun. Let me know....

#75 ·
There is some riding pretty close to Yokohama. The biggest issue for you will be transporting your bike to where the trails are. You can't take it on the train unless you break it down into a bike bag. I highly suggest you invest in one before you come over.

Unless you plan on traveling some distance, leave the dual crown long travel bike at home. A good 5 inch travel all mountain rig or a decent hard tail will handle just about anything that the trails here can throw at you.

Find us on our Facebook page Mountain Bike Gaijin | Facebook and we can meet up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.