Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tokyo Riders! Unite!

23K views 85 replies 23 participants last post by  replicant 
#1 ·
I have been in Tokyo for a few years, and have my japanese driving license, but have no car.

As you know, owning a car in Tokyo is expensive and I have no need for one (other than going riding).

If anyone out here is going on day trips, or weekend trips (Fujimi, or any area nearby). Then lets try to get together and split the transport costs. I can rent a MPV if no one has anything.

So, if you live in the Tokyo area post up here!

#68 ·
You access the trail head from Ikego (just across the street from the utilities complex- up the hill, on the side of the street from the soccer fields).

Once you find the trail head, you will immediately have a trickly little up to the right. Staying to the right, you will find an old cement wall to ride along (the paintball course is on the other side of the wall to the left, down the hill). Riding with the wall on your left and a steep hill on right, follow the trail for about a half of a mile, but dont drop down the hill to the right - you will eventually drop to the left. The cement wall will open up and the trail will go through it to your left. Follow the trail through the wall and down a hill. The trail will wind up and to the right and eventually come to a wire fence...... on the other side of the fence is a great trail system. Go left and you have about two miles before it ends. Go right and you have probably 10+ miles of trails with some great technical drops and wicked fast downs. Ensure that you adhere to the no riding area as the trail opens right before a long set of stairs that head up a hill. I enjoyed this system more thanTakatori Yama.

#2 ·
Not sure where you are, but there is a pretty big group of us that ride on the west side....specifically in Ome. If you want to roll with us this Sunday, give me a shout and I can let you know where to come out to meet us. You said you didn't have a car? Can you come in by train?

#6 ·
Hey I'll be staying in Tokyo (Minato ku area, unfortunately) between 6/23 ~ 7/2 on business. Is there any rental shop around, and nice trails around? Am from Kawasaki but live in colorado for hte last 15 years. I'd like to know where you metropolitan boys ride.

#7 ·
Hatake, I live out in the in the westen part of the prefecture and ride in the Ome, Itsukaichi, and Okutama areas. We are also in the height of the downhill season at fujimi Panarama resort in southeastern Nagano prefecture. A bit ironic, but my favorite ride is in Hatakenaka, Ome-shi. Send me a PM and we can see if we can work out a ride while you are here.

#16 ·
What type of bike did you build? I'm always riding, I will drop you a PM and give you some details. Heck I just got back from a 6 hour ride. Rode to the Mitake Tozan railway and took the cable car to Mt Mitake. We then rode the ridge line to what we refer to as Hinode peak took another ridge line which eventually took us back to the road. We then climbed back in to another trail for another decent back to the road. My friend went his way and I climbed back in for another quick trail ride. It was a perfect day with great weather.

#17 ·
I am building up an old Kona Cowan (05). I plan on riding more XC and trials nothing heavy or serious. I bought so Avid Exilir Rs and hope pro 2s on tweet tweet rims (中古) . I will be getting new forks next month. I think Fox and then a new frame. I am thinking about a SC chameleon. I should have it already in about 2-3 weeks and ready to ride.

Do you know any good shops in Tokyo? I have been sticking to importing and yahoo auctions.

#25 ·
My two favorites are Y's Road in Shinjuku (they have the most high-end mtb stuff) http://ysroad-maniac.com/

and AST Bikes in Narimasu (outside of Ikebekuro) http://www.astbikes.com/
AST also has a great selection of BMX stuff.

kmorast said:
Here's links to a couple of shops in the Tokyo area that cater to the high end crowd.

http://www.guava-jelly.jp/main/index.php

http://www.fuma-shinjuku.com/

I would describe the type of riding I do as trail riding. Some of the descents are a bit challenging but can be ridden on a hard tail without problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.