Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 91
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    26

    Japan Based Riders!

    Are there any Japan based riders on this forum?

    Although I live in Tokyo, I ride in the Kanto area, primarily in Guma and Nagano Preferecture. i am always looking for new trails and other riders to ride with...

    Is there anyone out there?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1

    Nagano Reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo M3
    Are there any Japan based riders on this forum?

    Although I live in Tokyo, I ride in the Kanto area, primarily in Guma and Nagano Preferecture. i am always looking for new trails and other riders to ride with...

    Is there anyone out there?

    Hey there! I live in Nagano city and I'm trying to find some riding friends. I've benn doing some local stuff, but interested in new places. Sorry I don't have much beta on rides around here, but I'm finding a few. Do you snowboard or ski?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    381
    I'm in Japan, but I'm no where near the Nagano area, I'm live in the Yokosuka.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by WeylessXPRider
    I'm in Japan, but I'm no where near the Nagano area, I'm live in the Yokosuka.
    Hi Guys, I regulary ride in the Zushi/Yokosuka area. Check out the trail review section on this website, Asia and pacific/Japan. There are some trails that I ride there.
    Recently I went to hakone and found some nice singletrack around Lake Ashinoko.
    If you want any more details, then mail me.
    Bobbysix.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1

    Sapporo Rocks

    Hey,
    I'm up in Sapporo and the riding is sick. I'd go as far as to say it's better than a lot of the riding I used to do back in Uni in Vermont. Hokkaido is a rare paradise in the concrete jungle of Japan. Niseko is just getting it's foot in the door with summer mountain biking too. Give it a year or two and it may be THE spot for riding in Japan. Move North! I spent three year's in Hiroshima struggling to find anything even tolerable. There's too much to ride here, I don't have enough free time

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo M3
    Are there any Japan based riders on this forum?

    Although I live in Tokyo, I ride in the Kanto area, primarily in Guma and Nagano Preferecture. i am always looking for new trails and other riders to ride with...

    Is there anyone out there?

    Hello, I live in Tokyo too (near Ikebukuro) and me tto, I'm looking for other riders. Actually, I don't ride a lot, not because I have no time, not because I have no bike, but just because 1) I dont really know where to go... 2) I don't have a car and it is a problem for going outside tokyo. Or maybe by train but I never did. I have a GT i-drive. I'm not a pro, not a beginner, just intermediate (don't be affraid if my English is not perfect it is just because I'm French). Laurent.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1

    Nagano Rides

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpaul
    Hey there! I live in Nagano city and I'm trying to find some riding friends. I've benn doing some local stuff, but interested in new places. Sorry I don't have much beta on rides around here, but I'm finding a few. Do you snowboard or ski?
    Mail me or phone if you want to get some rides in Nagano
    Brett 090 9359 8870
    brett@dirtybike.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5

    Tokyo area

    Hi,

    I live in Tokrozawa (Seibu-Ikebukuro Line) and wanted to know if anyone knew of trails nearby. I read there were supposed to be some trails out near the Seibu Dome and Sayama Lake, but I haven't found them yet. If anyone knows of any or other trails nearby (maybe Hanno-Chichibu area) that would be great.

    Thanks,

    Chris

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: markfielding1977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by RioGrande
    Hi,

    I live in Tokrozawa (Seibu-Ikebukuro Line) and wanted to know if anyone knew of trails nearby. I read there were supposed to be some trails out near the Seibu Dome and Sayama Lake, but I haven't found them yet. If anyone knows of any or other trails nearby (maybe Hanno-Chichibu area) that would be great.

    Thanks,

    Chris
    Hiya Chris,

    I live in Kawagoe and work mainly in Sayama. I've heard that Sayama lake is meant to be nice but I have not ventured down there yet. I go up to a place called Ogose which is a 20 min train ride from Sakado on the Tobu Ogose line. What kind of riding do you do? I've got a Cannondale Jekyll 600 so around here I just do trail riding. What about you? Let me know if you wanted to go out for a ride sometime and we could meet up....possibly near the seibu dome!!!!!!!! Cheers, Mark

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    35
    Hello Chris, hello Mark,

    Two weeks ago I went to Kaneko (Hachiko Line) for riding with Japanese friends and there are many good trails there. I can't really explain because I get there by train and after we went to the track by car but it's not to far from the station (5-10 minutes). I guess if you try to reach the mountain, you will find the trails... By the way, any of you is going to ride the Tokyo Enduro in two weeks ? It's a downtown road race for flat-bar bicycles... An mtb wis slick tires is fine for that!

    http://www.funride.jp/event/2004/tokyoEDw/main.htm

    Bye
    Laurent

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by markfielding1977
    Hiya Chris,

    I live in Kawagoe and work mainly in Sayama. I've heard that Sayama lake is meant to be nice but I have not ventured down there yet. I go up to a place called Ogose which is a 20 min train ride from Sakado on the Tobu Ogose line. What kind of riding do you do? I've got a Cannondale Jekyll 600 so around here I just do trail riding. What about you? Let me know if you wanted to go out for a ride sometime and we could meet up....possibly near the seibu dome!!!!!!!! Cheers, Mark

    Mark,

    Meeting up sounds good, though it would have to be in the New Year as Xmas is too busy. What are the trails like that you ride - if I get organised and get a bike back I could venture up that way at some stage also.

    Chris

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: markfielding1977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by RioGrande
    Mark,

    Meeting up sounds good, though it would have to be in the New Year as Xmas is too busy. What are the trails like that you ride - if I get organised and get a bike back I could venture up that way at some stage also.

    Chris
    Hiya Chris
    The New Year sounds cool. Xmas will be pretty busy here too (Thailand is on the cards). Ogose (where I ride) is pretty cool. There are lots of mountains ranging from about 200m to around 800 ish metres...You very rarely see anyone on the trails when you get into the mountains...In over 20 hours of trail riding up there, I hvae only seen one person, and he was a hiker...... The mountains are mainly covered in trees so its really nice....What sort of bike have you got? As you can probably see, I've got a Cannondale Jekyll 600 which is ok for trail riding. I'll post a few pics (If I can work out how to do it) of Ogose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: markfielding1977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by 38lolo
    Hello Chris, hello Mark,

    Two weeks ago I went to Kaneko (Hachiko Line) for riding with Japanese friends and there are many good trails there. I can't really explain because I get there by train and after we went to the track by car but it's not to far from the station (5-10 minutes). I guess if you try to reach the mountain, you will find the trails... By the way, any of you is going to ride the Tokyo Enduro in two weeks ? It's a downtown road race for flat-bar bicycles... An mtb wis slick tires is fine for that!

    http://www.funride.jp/event/2004/tokyoEDw/main.htm

    Bye
    Laurent
    Hi Laurent. Sounds like you had fun at Kaneko. Just checked Kaneko and its less than an hour away from me on the train. What sort of trails were they? Would you recommend it? What maps did you use? Or did you just use Japanese friends knowledge of the area? Nope I woun't be at the funride in Tokyo.

    Cheers

    Mark

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    35
    Hi Mark. There many kind of track, easy and not esy at all. I guess it's a kind of “big spot“ close to Tokyo because we met many other MTBriders there. I do recommend it but I can't give many explanations because I just went there once. I got a map which explains how to get to the track from the station and I'd like to send you it but it seems than it is not possible to send image on mtbr forum... If you have an email adress, I'll send you the map. Bye, Laurent

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: markfielding1977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by 38lolo
    Hi Mark. There many kind of track, easy and not esy at all. I guess it's a kind of “big spot“ close to Tokyo because we met many other MTBriders there. I do recommend it but I can't give many explanations because I just went there once. I got a map which explains how to get to the track from the station and I'd like to send you it but it seems than it is not possible to send image on mtbr forum... If you have an email adress, I'll send you the map. Bye, Laurent
    Hi Laurent, Thanks for tghe reply. If you get chance, would it be possible to send a copy of the map to
    markfielding1977@hotmail.com

    Thanks in advance. I might go over there on Thursday is possible....I went to Sayama lake today before work for a few hours. Was pretty cool

    Thanks again

    Mark

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by 38lolo
    Hello Chris, hello Mark,

    Two weeks ago I went to Kaneko (Hachiko Line) for riding with Japanese friends and there are many good trails there. I can't really explain because I get there by train and after we went to the track by car but it's not to far from the station (5-10 minutes). I guess if you try to reach the mountain, you will find the trails... By the way, any of you is going to ride the Tokyo Enduro in two weeks ? It's a downtown road race for flat-bar bicycles... An mtb wis slick tires is fine for that!

    http://www.funride.jp/event/2004/tokyoEDw/main.htm

    Bye
    Laurent
    Laurent,

    I didn't know about the Tokyo Enduro, if you do it I hope you enjoy! I'll try and check out Kaneko, it sounds good. I need to buy a bike bag first though, so time for some Xmas shopping!

    Chris

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    14

    What's equipment availability / cost like in Japan

    Hi,

    I'm going to live in Japan for a year (or two- we'll see) from April 2005. Should I bring my mountain bike, or can I pick up something out there? Is there a wide choice of bikes (and components) ? Is everything bike related horrendously expensive?

    Ideally I'd want a 4-6" full suss, but I guess my final choice would be dependent on terrain. I'm hoping to hit some hardcore Japanese trails and ride down Mt Fuji, I hope I won't be disappointed!

    Thanks in advance, maybe see you at some point in the future....

    Matt

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Drop
    Hi,

    I'm going to live in Japan for a year (or two- we'll see) from April 2005. Should I bring my mountain bike, or can I pick up something out there? Is there a wide choice of bikes (and components) ? Is everything bike related horrendously expensive?

    Ideally I'd want a 4-6" full suss, but I guess my final choice would be dependent on terrain. I'm hoping to hit some hardcore Japanese trails and ride down Mt Fuji, I hope I won't be disappointed!

    Thanks in advance, maybe see you at some point in the future....

    Matt
    Compared to the US, stuff here is expensive. I am from the UK, so the prices here are about the same as I usually pay. Basically, you can get anything here that you can get in the US or UK. And some US bike shops will ship here, so you can get cheaper stuff online. If you have a decent bike, I would bring it with you, it might work out cheaper than buying one over here.
    Where are you planning on living? I live in kanagawa, which is about one hour from Tokyo. The quality of the trails depend on where you live. Places like Nagano have good trails. Some probems you may have are finding good trails, especially if you don't have a car. An average ride for me consists of 50km of road work for 10km of off road. Local knowledge is priceless too. The trails around my area are quite short and technical, with lots of rocks and roots. You can ride on a hardtail, but you can go faster on a full sus. I have both and I mainly use my full sus for trail work.
    Check out the trails section of this website for more information, but there aren't many trails listed there for Japan. I guess there aren't that many gaijin (foreigners)mountain bikers here.
    Also check out this guys site. He has video and reviews of the trails that I ride every week. www.mountainbikebill.com
    If you want any more information, then you can mail me or reply on here.
    Bobbysix.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Duncan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    464
    Out of interest, are you guys using anything in Japan like yahoogroups? We're using it in Korea and it's a great way for ex-pat bikers to hook up with each other. I assume there are more riders in Japan than in Korea too - the ex-pat biking community in Korea is pretty close knit.

    It would be good to arrange some cross-the-sea bike rides in the future. You know, Japan-based bikers coming over to sleep on our couches and check out the Korean biking scene then vice-versa.

    What's the story with the locals and their reactions to seeing bikers on the trails? The Koreans are a very friendly bunch when it comes to that kind of stuff. Free fruit and makkolli (rice wine), and the occasional grope at your legs.

    Cheers,

    Duncan
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by 38lolo
    Hi Mark. There many kind of track, easy and not esy at all. I guess it's a kind of “big spot“ close to Tokyo because we met many other MTBriders there. I do recommend it but I can't give many explanations because I just went there once. I got a map which explains how to get to the track from the station and I'd like to send you it but it seems than it is not possible to send image on mtbr forum... If you have an email adress, I'll send you the map. Bye, Laurent
    Laurent,

    I'd appreciate it if you could send me the map as well as I'm interested in heading out there during the upcoming holidays. My email address is rio_11@hotmail.com

    Thanks in advance,

    Chris

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: markfielding1977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by 38lolo
    Hi Mark. There many kind of track, easy and not esy at all. I guess it's a kind of “big spot“ close to Tokyo because we met many other MTBriders there. I do recommend it but I can't give many explanations because I just went there once. I got a map which explains how to get to the track from the station and I'd like to send you it but it seems than it is not possible to send image on mtbr forum... If you have an email adress, I'll send you the map. Bye, Laurent
    Hi Laurent

    Thanks for the map of Kaneko. I have not been up there yet but plan on doing so in the New Year. I'm off to Thailand for 18 days on Monday for a Holiday so the mountain bike shoes will be hung soon. Went out to Sayama lake again today (about a 1 hour ride from my house). I'll post some pics. Thanks again for the map.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    48

    here in miyazaki

    there's some riding........but not nice like Hokkaido from what I heard, would love to be up there, Hokkaido, snow, ummm.........

  23. #23
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,351

    hajimemashite!

    Hey guys, I just got to Japan a couple of weeks ago. I currently live in Hikone, Shiga-ken, right on Lake Biwako. There looks like there might be quite a bit of riding here, but I really don't know. My Nihongo is not that good yet, and unfortunetly I did not bring any of my bikes (I'm from Michigan, US), all I have is a cheap commuter. Any idea about the riding in Shiga, I really don't know if there are restrictions for bikers on any of the trails around here, I haven't had as much time as I would like for exploring, and it keeps snowing occasionally. As you can probably tell, I am a total gaijin! I would love to come to the Nagano area to do some snowboarding too. Any idea if there are places in that area that rent bikes out, and what might I expect for rates?? Any help would be much appreciated.
    I'm almost thinking about having a family member back in the states ship my bike over here, any idea what that might cost, and how long it might take, also what carrier should I use. Even if I don't hit the trails much, I'm dying to get some urban riding in, I've seen many excellent opportunities to bust out a manual down a sidewalk or ride some wheelies. Lot's of Trials opportunities too! If only I had my quiver of bikes readily available, I miss them so! Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to bike here while I'm in Japan! Thanks, Dave
    btw- nice pics!
    Schralp it Heavy.

  24. #24
    ntj
    ntj is offline
    guidedbybicycles
    Reputation: ntj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    127

    tsukuba-san!

    Did a bit of shuttling at Mt Tsukuba (Ibaraki prefecture) today, and I'm keen for more. I wasn't really keeping an eye on how long it took, but we rode a pretty technical dh trail with plenty of blind cornrers, some rocky drops where you have to pick your line well, and some off-camber sections have to be respected. I'm still smiling just thiniking about it, if anyone lives out east of Tokyo and wants to give it a shot some time, lemme know.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: The Kikukawa Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17
    I'm here (Tokyo). Let's go.
    No, sir, I didn't steal it.

  26. #26
    ntj
    ntj is offline
    guidedbybicycles
    Reputation: ntj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kikukawa Kid
    I'm here (Tokyo). Let's go.
    Do you get tuesdays / wednesdays off? If so, let's go!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15

    Kyoto, Japan

    Konnichiwa!

    I'm on a trip here in Kyoto currently and I wonder if there are any good shops around? I surfed the web, but couldn't find any. Shimanos pages are in Japanese, so I can't figure them out. Any suggestions on LBS in Kyoto are greatly appreciated!! Thank you very much in advance!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peteer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    591

    New question here. Yokohama/Tokyo riding? Trains?

    Hey everyone,

    My fiancee and I live in Kawasaki (Musashi-Kosugi St. between Shibuya and Yokohama) with our two mountain bikes. I've got two questions:

    1. So far all of our cycling is city biking or riding along the Tama River. Is there any place you can reach pretty easily by bike around Tokyo/Yokohama that is even halfway decent? (For some kind of enjoyable off-road riding. Nothing too difficult or scenic, just something aside from riding along the same river.)

    2. Neither of us have, or want, a car. None of our friends (nor her family) have a car that can accomidate two bikes. How do you guys get your bikes from place to place? Have you had any difficulties taking them on subways/trains/shinkansens? If anyone has any horror stories about why NOT to even consider this, let me know.

    With Golden Week now upon us, I'd really like to try to do some nice riding, but that means crowds everywhere. Also, I work the typical 9am-8pm, M-F type of job, so taking my bike on the train during non peak hours on a week day and riding around Shinjuku Park on weekday while everyone else is working isn't really an option, unfortunately...

    Anyway, any advice or experience relating to either question is much appreciated, and if you live near by, drop me a line.

    - Eric

  29. #29
    ntj
    ntj is offline
    guidedbybicycles
    Reputation: ntj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    127
    Hey Eric,

    I can help you with one of your queries:

    I always take my bike everywhere by car, but I once bought a bike in Shinjuku and took it home to Kashiwa, Chiba, on the train using a bike bag. Tioga makes them, they are about Y4000 and sold in most city bike shops. You just take the front wheel off and strap it to the back with a velcro thing. I wouldn't do it in anything resembling peak time, but at 10pm it was fine.

    If anyone else is looking for some good FR/DH and XC trails, try Takamine in Ibaraki prefecture. I went there yesterday and the DH course gave me the giggles more than once with its corners and jumps. It's Y2000 for the day + Y500 per lift up the hill in the van. Worth every yen, I'm keen to check the xc trails next. Check http://www.actionsports.co.jp/news_a...and_event.html.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peteer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    591
    ntj,

    Thanks so much for the great advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by ntj
    Hey Eric,

    I can help you with one of your queries:

    I always take my bike everywhere by car, but I once bought a bike in Shinjuku and took it home to Kashiwa, Chiba, on the train using a bike bag. Tioga makes them, they are about Y4000 and sold in most city bike shops. You just take the front wheel off and strap it to the back with a velcro thing. I wouldn't do it in anything resembling peak time, but at 10pm it was fine.
    First, I definitely need to look into picking up a bike bag for my fiancee and myself. As embarrassing as it might be to carry a bike this way, it's a lot better than carrying the assembled bike on the train or not biking at all...

    Quote Originally Posted by ntj
    If anyone else is looking for some good FR/DH and XC trails, try Takamine in Ibaraki prefecture. I went there yesterday and the DH course gave me the giggles more than once with its corners and jumps. It's Y2000 for the day + Y500 per lift up the hill in the van. Worth every yen, I'm keen to check the xc trails next. Check http://www.actionsports.co.jp/news_a...and_event.html.
    Thanks for this piece of info too. Any idea on whether or not there's a relatively easy XC course there? I know beggars can't be choosers, but my fiancee will be all the more willing if I can assure her it's a good "beginner" course.

    Anyone else know any XC trails relatively near Tokyo? (Assuming I can take our bikes on the train with the train bag, closer to the station is better.) I'd love to try to get some kind of hybrid biking/ryokan two-day trip in...

    - Eric

  31. #31
    ntj
    ntj is offline
    guidedbybicycles
    Reputation: ntj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    127
    I'm guessing the xc trails at Takamine aren't too beginner-friendly, but there is a 'mtb' course in Makuhari, Tokyo Bay, which is fairly short and boring, but not too bad for a first try of mtb riding. There are some dirt jumps there if you are that way inclined too. Everything else I know is a bit beyond beginners or too far away. The Makuhari course is near the exhibition buildings, right on the water, and next to a mental hospital(!)

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peteer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    591
    ntj,

    I can see why you said there is an "mtb" course. It's only 800m, huh? Funny thing is, when I showed it to my fiancee, her reaction was, "I think I can do that..." as if it were a little intimidating.

    Anyway, if anyone wants a map (in Japanese) or information on the Makuhari MTB trial, here are some links: (Map on the first link)

    http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~fz6t-sby...hari_bike.html
    http://www.pref.chiba.jp/syozoku/j_k...setu.html#bike
    http://coco.cococica.com/hp54/index....16&page_no=301

    I expect that getting my fiancee comfortable with a few laps of that will be enough to open her up to the idea of longer trails...but first we need to get out there...and to do that, we need helmets...so I'm guessing the trip will have to be post-GW.

    (FYI, Japan does not require helmets for daily riding. The Makuhari Messe MTB trail does require a helmet and an "off-road bike")

    My fiancee's been planning to buy a helmet at a LBS after I receive mine. However, due to problems with supergo.com, I will not get my helmet during GW as I expected. (see SuperGo for more info.) Since I'm a big guy, and my head is far more rectangular than the round Japanese helmets, I chose supergo.com and then JensonUSA to try to get a large helmet from the US. (http://www.helmets.org/round.htm)

    Do any of the rest of you in Japan have a particular online store or two outside of Japan that you use to get those things that you can't get locally? I'd be interested to know who's good for international shipments.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: markfielding1977's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01
    ntj,

    I can see why you said there is an "mtb" course. It's only 800m, huh? Funny thing is, when I showed it to my fiancee, her reaction was, "I think I can do that..." as if it were a little intimidating.

    Anyway, if anyone wants a map (in Japanese) or information on the Makuhari MTB trial, here are some links: (Map on the first link)

    http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~fz6t-sby...hari_bike.html
    http://www.pref.chiba.jp/syozoku/j_k...setu.html#bike
    http://coco.cococica.com/hp54/index....16&page_no=301

    I expect that getting my fiancee comfortable with a few laps of that will be enough to open her up to the idea of longer trails...but first we need to get out there...and to do that, we need helmets...so I'm guessing the trip will have to be post-GW.

    (FYI, Japan does not require helmets for daily riding. The Makuhari Messe MTB trail does require a helmet and an "off-road bike")

    My fiancee's been planning to buy a helmet at a LBS after I receive mine. However, due to problems with supergo.com, I will not get my helmet during GW as I expected. (see SuperGo for more info.) Since I'm a big guy, and my head is far more rectangular than the round Japanese helmets, I chose supergo.com and then JensonUSA to try to get a large helmet from the US. (http://www.helmets.org/round.htm)

    Do any of the rest of you in Japan have a particular online store or two outside of Japan that you use to get those things that you can't get locally? I'd be interested to know who's good for international shipments.
    Hi there
    I did have a few problems with getting a helmet in Japan but mainly because the Japanese do seem to have very large heads. My local LBS in Ikebukuro (Galaxy) has quite a few XL to cater for the Japanese market. I've never bought a helmet online as one manufacturers size is different to another. I just shop around and managed to find loads of different sizes and models. I managed to by both my XC and full face DH helmet here with little or no trouble!!!!!!!
    Heres a pic of me at the first race of the Japanese DH race season in Hakodateyama (Shiga Ken)
    Attached Images Attached Images

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: peteer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    591

    My head = not round

    Quote Originally Posted by markfielding1977
    Hi there
    I did have a few problems with getting a helmet in Japan but mainly because the Japanese do seem to have very large heads. My local LBS in Ikebukuro (Galaxy) has quite a few XL to cater for the Japanese market.
    Mark,

    Thanks for the response. Next time I'm in Ikebukuro, I'll have to try to find that Galaxy store! (Any more specific directions or and address or website?)

    Regarding the helmet, I only tried on Ls, which were what I was finding at the primarily mama-chyari oriented LBSs. They didn't fit. But it wasn't the size that had me buy online, it was the shape. During my search, I was told Japanese helmets are much rounder than non-Japanese helmets, which are more rectangular.

    from http://www.helmets.org/round.htm :

    "...A helmet made for the Japanese market has to be much rounder inside than those normally sold in the US or in Europe. It will feel uncomfortable on most Caucasian heads. Many Americans of Asian extraction find it difficult to find a good fit in the US market.

    One obvious solution for a rider with a round head is to buy a helmet made for Japan. .."


    What I was seeing, hearing and reading all seemed to tell me the same thing, that an American helmet would be a better purchase.

    Hope that answers your question of why I'm waiting for my helmet to show up in the mail.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shonan_surfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    10

    I'm still here

    I've been here for five years (riding for two) and I live in Hino-shi (near Tachikawa) I usually ride around the okutama and hinode area's but if I have the time I go down to my favoirte trail ( you can read the review) near Tanzawa lake. If there are others around who would like to get together for a ride contact me. I usually ride trails and x country but not on the road ever!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by shonan_surfer
    I've been here for five years (riding for two) and I live in Hino-shi (near Tachikawa) I usually ride around the okutama and hinode area's but if I have the time I go down to my favoirte trail ( you can read the review) near Tanzawa lake. If there are others around who would like to get together for a ride contact me. I usually ride trails and x country but not on the road ever!
    Shonan Sufer, do you live near the Shonan area in Kanagawa?

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shonan_surfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbysix
    Shonan Sufer, do you live near the Shonan area in Kanagawa?
    no, like i said i live in hino city. i surf in the shonan area usually at tsujido or around the rivermouth. hence the name. where do you live at bobbysix?

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    118
    I live in Chigasaki. You know it right?
    I ride in the area, mainly Zushi and Yokosuka. There are some decent trails in the area, check out my reviews on this site.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3

    I live in Nagano, looking for riders

    Just moved from the states to Nagano, I watched the dh race on NHK the other day which forced me to get back into the sport after 10 years. Looking to find other riders that know the area and trails (when I get my trek y22, about 2 weeks apx)

    all are welcome to contact me via email at btflsnow2@hotmail.com.

    Thanks FRANK

  40. #40
    Pain Is A State Of Mind
    Reputation: free-rider_down-hiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,275
    cool forum
    Opportunity awaits those that are worthy....
    Photamagrapher---http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=244688

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    13
    Anybody want to ride at Tama Hills Military Base just outside of Tokyo, near Kawasaki. I can get you in. Good 5k MTB course.

  42. #42
    Singleton
    Reputation: wheeliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    93
    any riders from Kansai region? buzz me up.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliam View Post
    any riders from Kansai region? buzz me up.
    hey wheeliam,

    Some shuweeeet trails here in Osaka, and we are Single Speed and beer addicts.

    -Aki
    "Semper Farcisimus!"

  44. #44
    Singleton
    Reputation: wheeliam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybee View Post
    hey wheeliam,

    Some shuweeeet trails here in Osaka, and we are Single Speed and beer addicts.

    -Aki
    hi aki,

    Cool to hear that you got nice trails in Osaka! Do you ride regularly?

    I'm also running a singlespeed 29er. Hope I could ride with you guys sometime.

    BTW I'm from Hyogo (30 mins from Osaka by car) and we also have good trails here (Mt Futatabi and Mt Rokko).

    See you around!


    - Wheeliam

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: walli77jp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by jgtokyo View Post
    Anybody want to ride at Tama Hills Military Base just outside of Tokyo, near Kawasaki. I can get you in. Good 5k MTB course.
    That would be great! I live in Kawasaki and sometimes ride the (rather short) trails in Inagi or near Machida and I always envied you guys for your woody hills. Yoroshiku!

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliam View Post
    hi aki,

    Cool to hear that you got nice trails in Osaka! Do you ride regularly?

    I'm also running a singlespeed 29er. Hope I could ride with you guys sometime.

    BTW I'm from Hyogo (30 mins from Osaka by car) and we also have good trails here (Mt Futatabi and Mt Rokko).

    See you around!


    - Wheeliam
    I have a buddy rides in rokko. If you need his info let me know.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    13
    I will be going on the 16th of November. I will be at the gate at 1045-1100 for anyone interested. We will ride from 1100-1300 then eat lunch at the lodge.

    Johnny G

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: walli77jp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7
    arrrgh! Have to work on weekdays.
    Another time then. Enjoy your ride!

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freeryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    116
    walli77jp,
    Noticed you live in kawasaki, and ride inagi area.
    I now live close to inagi and ride therf quite often.
    I also ride with guys frm the base, in okutama area. Great trails there.
    Im recently off frm riding having flu, but once i get well, we may be able to meet up sometime ?
    Depending on your favor, we can ride in okutama area.
    We re rather on AM/FR side.
    Jst drop me a line, if youre interested!
    V2 COVERT on GTI MK5

  50. #50
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybee View Post
    hey wheeliam,

    Some shuweeeet trails here in Osaka, and we are Single Speed and beer addicts.

    -Aki
    Maybe I'll see you next spring when I visit my wife's family!
    May the air be filled with tires!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Asia-based riders?
    By Duncan in forum Asia + Philippines
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 03:02 AM
  2. Florida riders, what tires are you using?
    By Dave. in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 07:43 PM
  3. What's the deal with the lithium based grease?
    By MegaVolt in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 05:49 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 10:37 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 06:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •