mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Zion: Worth the drive?

A group I used to ride with is coming out from CA to ride for several days in Zion. I've never been there. Is it worth the 7 hour drive?

mtbr member
    It's 7 hours. That's 1/3 of 1/365th of a year. What else were you planning on using it for?

Uh, yeah?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well I should be studying for my law school midterm exams. It's during my fall break

Over the Hill
    Personally I like Zion and Bryce better than the Grand Canyon. With Slick Rock Swamp closed nothing to ride in Zion except pavement. Closest riding will be Gooseberry/Little Creek...not to shabby.

bland
    The place has its name for a reason.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aevanlloyd View Post
    Well I should be studying for my law school midterm exams. It's during my fall break
    Homework? On break? :SNORT:

Whatever man, I dare you to find me somebody on their death bed that wishes they spent more time studying.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Homework? On break? :SNORT:

Whatever man, I dare you to find me somebody on their death bed that wishes they spent more time studying.
    I know. I know. I'm just trying to determine if it's worth the time investment to drive up there. AZ has amazing riding. Sedona is 2 hours away. Is Zion worth it? I've been checking out videos on YouTube. It looks pretty rad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Zion isn't going to be a great place to mountain bike, unless things have changed recently.

Gooseberry Mesa, however, is well worth the trip, as is JEM outside of Hurricane. The southwest Utah area has lots of good riding. Give Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs a try for good trail betas.
    Last edited by cilantro13; 09-10-2012 at 01:45 PM.

The British ClimbMinister
    Thunder Mountain is just outside Bryce in the Dixie National Forest - that's a lot fun.
    Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.

Quote Originally Posted by cilantro13 View Post
    Zion isn't going to be a great place to mountain bike, unless things have changes recently.

Gooseberry Mesa, however, is well worth the trip, as is JEM outside of Hurricane. The southwest Utah area has lots of good riding. Give Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs a try for good trail betas.

+ 1 on the website - they have a wealth of information.

Pics and such of the JEM trail here: Summer Riding Stoke – 3

It is a nice ride, but I don't think I'd drive all the way up there for it. Gooseberry is supposed to be fun, but I don't think there is a ton of riding there. One other thing to consider. When we were there in early July it was frickin' hot. Not sure if it has cooled down yet.

However, if you have time to hike as well as bike, then it may be worth it. There is some amazing stuff in the canyon.

bland
    I think it's worth the drive just for the hiking. You could go up there and spend time with your friends and then ride the north rim, flagstaff, and sedona on the way home.

mtbr member
    if you had 2 broken legs and couldnt ride.. Zion would still be worth the trip...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    Personally I like Zion and Bryce better than the Grand Canyon. With Slick Rock Swamp closed nothing to ride in Zion except pavement. Closest riding will be Gooseberry/Little Creek...not to shabby.
    Last I heard this is reopened with a few access rules..Also referred to as the "Rockville Bench".

Yes, it is worth the drive. Talk to the guys in the OTE bike shop in Hurricane and they will point the way. Gooseberry will give you a full day of riding and is a must ride trail IMO. Then there is Little Creek, the Gem Trail, the Rockville Bench, and about 30 other trails over near St George.

And of course there is Zion..awesome hiking and views..
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

So much fun

So I took your advice and made the drive up to southern Utah. I'm so glad I did. The trails up there are so much fun. We did the north and south rims of Gooseberry Mesa, The Jem trail, and Little Creek. What a riot.

I created a little video montage of our trip. Disclaimer: This video contains zero GoPro footage. Enjoy.

Gooseberry MTB for Vimeo from Arthur Evan on Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/51333907

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Great video. Looks like a ton of fun. Gooseberry is near the top my list of places I need to ride.

Good luck on your exams!

mtbr member
    Awesome video !

BTW, do you mind me asking how old are you guys?