Thread: Yuma Riding

WIGGLER

... and if we just ... Yuma Riding

Yuma trails and a 36er.

Yuma Riding-dsc00233.jpg
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

Paste eater
    What's the riding like down there in Yuma? Got any other pics?

WIGGLER
    There's about 30 miles of trails some double track but mostly single. The trails are old goat trails tied together lots of fun! More pics soon!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Very cool, I've scoped out lots of stuff out there and remember the old MBAA race course ( blaisdell blowout) there which was pretty nice.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Front Range, Colorado
    Hmmm 36" tires, I'm just waiting for the elephants,tigers and clowns to show up. It feels like I'm looking into the house of bent mirrors.
    And I thought all you had in Yuma was the Colorado River water toys and motorized desert toys.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Hmmm 36" tires, I'm just waiting for the elephants,tigers and clowns to show up. It feels like I'm looking into the house of bent mirrors.
    And I thought all you had in Yuma was the Colorado River water toys and motorized
    desert toys.
    You forgot field workers and snow birds! Yep a clown bike for a clown it actually works
    Reaaly good!

Meatbomb
    Almost looks like a 1:1 gear ratio .

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Almost looks like a 1:1 gear ratio .
    Close 32/27! If I'm doing the math correctly it's 42ish gear inches.

jimfab
    Mr.Todwil

Do you know a way to connect Yuma to the cargo muchachos (sp?) on a mountain bike? Either from around the south to olgoby (sp?) rd or north up the river and then east through the hills?

Thanks- JF

mtbr member
    I don't know if I should admit this in public, but I grew up mostly in Yuma. It always seemed like there were two (major) things people my age at the time got into there; Dirt/sand sports (motorcycles, quads, @ the dunes or in the rocky desert) or drinking/drugs -some chose both. I had to open this thread to find out what kind of MTBing there was there since moving away many years ago. It sounds like it has progressed a little slowly but hopefully it will accelerate! Some of my first attempts at mountain biking happened around Blaisdell and on the south side of I-8 east of the Foothills close to Telegraph Pass. If you can get a permit to go on the bombing range it might be a good XC-ish ride to go from the Foothills out to Fortuna Mine. It was always a fun dirtbike ride when I lived there and occasionally we would see other off-roaders out there.

I'm puzzled by the 36er. Put a 24" or 20" wheel in the back and you've got the modern day Penny Farthing!

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfab View Post
    Mr.Todwil

Do you know a way to connect Yuma to the cargo muchachos (sp?) on a mountain bike? Either from around the south to olgoby (sp?) rd or north up the river and then east through the hills?

Thanks- JF
    There are several ways to get there. You can head north on the Picacho Road and turn left at the first major turn (right after the high power lines if I remember correctly). You can go up Ogilby Rd, and turn on American Girl Mine Road. You can go north of Felicity and connect into American Girl or the east side of the mountains. Or you can take one of the 100s of minor tracks across the desert after you make it across the canal (some of which are tank tracks from Patton in the '40s).

WIGGLER
    Theirs more biking than the passer by would relise 30 miles of single track in one area
    And some out by Hidden Shores. I'm also a duner (jeeps and golf carts and now aTeryx)
    As far as a bikeable trail from west to east I don't know of any there are some jeep rodes but none to fun to ride.

jimfab
    Cool

Thanks guys! I will check some of this out soon. I was going to fat bike from Yuma through Tumco and up the east edge of the dunes to The slabs to hang out with some rubber tramps. Gonna try and tackle Oldsmobile along the way. I like the Felicity route idea, thanks for the tips. Should i pay my respects at the pyramid to ensure safe passage?

Also.. where is that 30 miles of ST? I wanna check that out.

Thanks- JF

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfab View Post
    Cool

Thanks guys! I will check some of this out soon. I was going to fat bike from Yuma through Tumco and up the east edge of the dunes to The slabs to hang out with some rubber tramps. Gonna try and tackle Oldsmobile along the way. I like the Felicity route idea, thanks for the tips. Should i pay my respects at the pyramid to ensure safe passage?

Also.. where is that 30 miles of ST? I wanna check that out.

Thanks- JF
    O heck if your fat bikin just point and shoot and watch out for leo!!

mtbr member
    Does your foot hit the front tire when you turn?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I had a project in Yuma a few years ago. I rode Sugarloaf several times in the dark. It's rolling and fast, aka a good XC type of ride. Think Sonoran Preserve (off the I-17) with narrower trails and a little technical here an there.

GP-Pilot did a good write up early last year. Ride Where?!? Yuma, AZ Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo View Post
    Does your foot hit the front tire when you turn?
    No toe overlap even in clown shoes!!