mtbr member

Your XC Bike Recommendations for valley trails ...

Probably buy used for cross country use, full suspension around 4" travel and under 30 lbs.

mtbr member
    O o p s.
    Last edited by BCTJ; 08-08-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Meatbomb
    someone is hearing voices ... again

Meatbomb
    Used Stumpy 29er.

mtbr member
    Thanks BCTJ I'm looking for XC bike recommendations not trails ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    Thanks BCTJ I'm looking for XC bike recommendations not trails ...
    Start with one with two wheels.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Start with one with two wheels.
    I may need three?

Planning on riding less AM stuff now ...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There are a ton of great bikes for XC riding in Arizona. 4" is the sweet spot for XC. You need to decide if you want 26" wheels or 29". Then choose a bike with more than a single pivot. With the chunky terrain here and lack of flat ground, a more sophisticated suspension design is important for comfort, speed and control. My wife rides a Specialized Epic 26", I've ridden a Kona Hei Hei 26" (which is currently for sale) and my new bike which is a Santa Cruz Tallboy. All have been fantastic bikes for riding anything from Phoenix to Flag. I'm still not sold on the 29'er movement, I feel both of my bikes have their plus's and minus's. It's different suspension on all 3 but they have all performed great. You're doing the right thing by asking questions here, but you'll get a hundred different answers.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Tallboy is a good place to start. Or Solo is you're into the smaller wheels.

Dunno where you live, but if you're on the north side or can swing a trip, Sunday Cycles is a good place to shop. Dude that owns the joint is a stand up guy. He's on here a lot too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkuhn818 View Post
    There are a ton of great bikes for XC riding in Arizona. 4" is the sweet spot for XC. You need to decide if you want 26" wheels or 29". Then choose a bike with more than a single pivot. With the chunky terrain here and lack of flat ground, a more sophisticated suspension design is important for comfort, speed and control. My wife rides a Specialized Epic 26", I've ridden a Kona Hei Hei 26" (which is currently for sale) and my new bike which is a Santa Cruz Tallboy. All have been fantastic bikes for riding anything from Phoenix to Flag. I'm still not sold on the 29'er movement, I feel both of my bikes have their plus's and minus's. It's different suspension on all 3 but they have all performed great. You're doing the right thing by asking questions here, but you'll get a hundred different answers.
    I was hoping that would be the case, don't want to be looking for one specific model bike and the more options the better chance I'll find a used one at a good price.

Keep 'em coming please ...

mtbr member
    I just picked up a Giant Anthem 2 29er and absolutely love it, great suspension, great all around geometry, pretty decent components. Ride it at San Tan, Usery, Hawes etc etc. Just my .02 worth of course...

mtbr member
    I'm a bit biased towards a 6' travel 'all mountain' bikes. I have a specialized Enduro and love it. Sure, a hardtail 29er is faster around Pemberton, or a DH rig can tear up National, but I haven't come across a climb or decent that my Enduro can't do. It is way more bike than I 'need' but I prefer overbuilt. I also just prefer the sitting position of the all mountain bikes, a little more upright. But, as previously stated, just my opinion.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Meatbomb
    Stumpy FSR 29er.

mtbr member
    If I was getting a cross country FS I would definitely be looking at tallboy, ripley29 or mach 429

mtbr member

I ride Jet 9. Love it!!

Ahhh the pain....
    This is such a hard question to answer; almost like saying "what kind of car should I buy?". It so much depends on your needs and the priority of those needs. First, it sounds like you like to ride XC stuff. If you like to go fast up and down and like to do any racing, that sorta rules out AM bikes and anything DH oriented. If you wanna be competitive and have some money to spend, then it's hard to beat the performance of the carbon FS XC bikes....light and damn fast. If you're a bit more budget conscious but still want to go fast and be competitive, there are plenty of 4" travel aluminum bikes that do that well. (as mentioned above). If you're the type that like simplicity of maintenance, stick with a hardtail. Forks are pretty easy and cheap to maintain. Lots of very fast people riding xc on hardtails.
    Since you're buying used, I'd be sure to ask about when suspension parts were tended to if at all. If you're not a do-it-yourselfer, that can get a little pricey.
    In my case, i started on a 5" travel stumpy, but after a year, switched to a Ti SS bike. I've been on that for the last 3 years. Plenty comfortable and low maintenance.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    My new Pivot 429carbon is "The ****"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    This is such a hard question to answer; almost like saying "what kind of car should I buy?". It so much depends on your needs and the priority of those needs. First, it sounds like you like to ride XC stuff. If you like to go fast up and down and like to do any racing, that sorta rules out AM bikes and anything DH oriented. If you wanna be competitive and have some money to spend, then it's hard to beat the performance of the carbon FS XC bikes....light and damn fast. If you're a bit more budget conscious but still want to go fast and be competitive, there are plenty of 4" travel aluminum bikes that do that well. (as mentioned above). If you're the type that like simplicity of maintenance, stick with a hardtail. Forks are pretty easy and cheap to maintain. Lots of very fast people riding xc on hardtails.
    Since you're buying used, I'd be sure to ask about when suspension parts were tended to if at all. If you're not a do-it-yourselfer, that can get a little pricey.
    In my case, i started on a 5" travel stumpy, but after a year, switched to a Ti SS bike. I've been on that for the last 3 years. Plenty comfortable and low maintenance.
    you had a geary? And full suspension? Oh the shame.

parenting for gnarness
    bike suggestions might be easier if we knew what kind of tires you are planning to run?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    bike suggestions might be easier if we knew what kind of tires you are planning to run?
    Probably black ones. Btw I am right handed ...

mtbr member
    Ended up getting this stumpjumper today since I broke one of my pivot bearings last ride sort of helped to motivate me. Weighs under 30 even with my tool/tube pack. Thanks all ...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tomfish View Post
    My new Pivot 429carbon is "The ****"!!
    And the $hit! Great bike tho.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.