Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dirt visionary

You Hawes and Pass Mt junkies

I walked the connector trail from wildhorse to Bulldog canyon. Should be a cool bit of trail minus the few sandy wash crossings.

Heading south its a slow slog like going up Big Rock back towards Twisted sister. The way back from Bulldog should be a hoot as its mainly downhill.

Just thought I would let you guys know thats its close to being a full reality. NO MORE ROAD RIDE yeah

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    I walked the connector trail from wildhorse to Bulldog canyon. Should be a cool bit of trail minus the few sandy wash crossings.

Heading south its a slow slog like going up Big Rock back towards Twisted sister. The way back from Bulldog should be a hoot as its mainly downhill.

Just thought I would let you guys know thats its close to being a full reality. NO MORE ROAD RIDE yeah
    holy f'i'tty f! do you realize this could make the true East Mesa Epic an entry in the AES? Are you out there Chad?? 60 miles? Hawes->Bulldog->PassMtn->Hawes->my house. A burly, long, burly day! 7k climbing, lots of all-mountain, and so many spots to have fun. Best part is it could be a 1-2-or 3 lap race!!!

there should be a loop through the b-line at NRA too thanks for the work Clock! i had a great day!

now hook a brother up with some .gpx file action!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Where would one find this connector trail? I was just down in Tucson today to ride with Chad, and after the ride was trying to entice him to come up next weekend to do Hawes - Pass Mtn.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    holy f'i'tty f! do you realize this could make the true East Mesa Epic an entry in the AES? Are you out there Chad?? 60 miles? Hawes->Bulldog->PassMtn->Hawes->my house. A burly, long, burly day! 7k climbing, lots of all-mountain, and so many spots to have fun. Best part is it could be a 1-2-or 3 lap race!!!

there should be a loop through the b-line at NRA too thanks for the work Clock! i had a great day!

That's heavy dude. You still sure you want to sell your house out there?
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork

New trail will be most welcome - thanks for the info!! Slow slog trails are ok as long as it's not all thru sand. Talk about slow slog.... the trail from the road up to Pass was almost 50% deep sand a few weeks ago. Slog city! Maybe the rain has helped packed it back down.

I'm unfamiliar with Bulldog canyon - on east or west side of Ellsworth?

dirt visionary
    Bull Dog canyon is that big gated pull off up the road from the pit DG. The one that always has lots of horse trailers and such parked out front. The connector comes out across the street on the west side of usery pass road. Basically if your out at the pit you can get to it up where B-line and A-line split. Once to that wash area go east thru the wash and follow orange makers once out of the wash its easy to follow .It comes out about a 1/4 mile from the way up pass mt so it would be a short road ride but much better than coming up from the pit on the road. My guess is Scott M. and Chris G. have been the guys working on it .

dirt visionary

Thx good seeing you again.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    That's heavy dude. You still sure you want to sell your house out there?
    very heavy! i've been pondering the idea of an East Mesa 80 rock and road combo, but it lacked true grace. This would be so f'ing sick cause it would be a 6inch bike (or artificial spine) epic!!!!! I could stage a water and snack stop at NRA, you'd pass it every 2 hrs!! 6-9 hrs of 3 totally different trails.

dirt visionary
    I walked 3/4 of the trail this eve and its a fine addition. If you guys see me out at the pit ask and I will point the way . I plan to ride it to help bed it in as it has no tracks besides my footprints . The cool thing IMO is its a sustained climb or downhill. I will snap some pics next time out.

Also for those that know .....this is most likely the connector that was approved by the FS back when they met with the local IMBA reps and us (nra pit builders)back around March . There should also be a new loop or so to the west of the pit south of wildhorse in the future also.

parenting for gnarness
    http://chollaball.net/blog/2007/04/bulldog-canyon.html

its a canyon over from Pass Mtn, which is one ridgeline over from Hawes. twould be so poetic to do all the together...

dirt visionary
    No this connector is on the west side of the road and comes out across from the bulldog entrance and about a 1/4 mile down from fence pass thru heading up towards pass mt.

Mesa, AZ
    Feb 2008
    Got a question for the NRA group. We were out early today playing on the b-line and there were guys shooting at some coyotes or something. They were only about 25 or 35 yards from the jumps and it scared the **** out of us. Are they still allowed to shoot out there?

dirt visionary
    Here. Yellow is Wildhorse and the portion that goes up b-line for now,green is the connector (not to scale) and red is where you slog up to Pass Mt.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by gnis drnkr
    Got a question for the NRA group. We were out early today playing on the b-line and there were guys shooting at some coyotes or something. They were only about 25 or 35 yards from the jumps and it scared the **** out of us. Are they still allowed to shoot out there?

No and I would have reported them to the maricopa Sheriff's department as that's who's area it is . I heard some shots but could pinpoint where they were.

parenting for gnarness
    a hah - ic. bummer, i thought you had found the Northwest passage. but we can work with this!

do you know of a way into Bulldog from the Horse Staging area? If not, I am still thinking of a route that could do Bulldog as the last segment of the epic, then roll west on Bush Highway to the entrance into Wild Horse that dumps you near the big wash. It would be the best of the road riding, and a good break at that point in the ride from all the pounding...

mtbr member
    bummer, i thought you had found the Northwest passage. but we can work with this!
    Grab a shovel. ha ha
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

MTBikeAZ.com
    Thanks for the info on the new trail. I'm going to give it a ride this week. Now all we need is a connector from the Meridian lot on the East end of Usery over to the Goldfields. Then a biblical epic from Walgreens to the Peralta TH is possible...Hawes, Pass Mountain, Goldfields, Superstitions (the legal bike trails of course)... Chad's gotta be interested in that. It could be an out-n-back dirty century for sure. I've been scheming it in my head for years...
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

parenting for gnarness
    Google Earth is no help finding a route down to Bulldog via the horse parking area. I explored there a few years ago, and it was a horrible sandy mess which I swore off forever. I've never seen anything on Bulldog that looked to go the other way.

If anyone knows a way through, please share!!!

dirt visionary
    you got to go thru the sand and eventually it gets more hardpack until it reaches bulldog . Still not worth it.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarqsMan
    Thanks for the info on the new trail. I'm going to give it a ride this week. .
    Oh, I am always in for a ride like this. Can we do it this Saturday or Sunday (6th or 7th)? I am scanning the aerial views on topofusion now.

Special note: the closer I get to riding to the salt river, the more I realize that I will be needing one of these in the future, like in the next few months. Toss the bike up on it and float to the next single track at McDowell!

mtbr member
    If I'm not mistaken this trail hasn't been blazed yet. I walked part of it last Sat and there are a few foot and hoove prints, and some bushes scraped from the path. Not much else.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    If I'm not mistaken this trail hasn't been blazed yet.
    Then we might have to bring the machete/sheath on this one?

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    If I'm not mistaken this trail hasn't been blazed yet. I walked part of it last Sat and there are a few foot and hoove prints, and some bushes scraped from the path. Not much else.

Then I guess you didn't read my post I said I walked the trail and believe me there is way more done than just a few bushes removed. I said I walked the trail from the B and A-line intersection to bulldog canyon almost before I turned around to get back to my bike before dark.

Trail is approx 3-4 foot wide at the moment

mtbr member
    Jess I read your post and you wrote it "should be" and "its close to being a full reality" putting those together with my sweet picture perfect memory I came to my conclusion. But anyway good to see that it is there and ready to ride.

dirt visionary
    I thought you said you walked it Saturday? Well I walked it Sunday. So the trail knomes must have done a ton of work in 24hrs

The should be was about the fun ride downhill on the way back from pass mt .......the close to reality = not announced as an offical trail yet.

I will have more info today as I am going out in a bit .

edit: I guess I won't be riding it today just got called in to work
    Last edited by clockwork; 12-02-2008 at 08:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast