Thread: Yeti Rides?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Yeti Rides?

Hi Friends,

I'm in the market for a new bike and have been trying to decide between a Yeti SB5 and SB6. I currently ride the GG Megatrail and love it. Does anyone with either of the Yeti's want to meet up and ride and maybe swap bikes for a few miles?

Thanks,
    Ricky

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I think I'm just going to go for the SB6... I'm 6'2 which is right on the edge of L/XL. Does anyone have guidance on which I should choose?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Best selling Yeti is the SB5.5. Versatile tuning options for future wide tire choices.
    Size also depends on your actual inseam and what kind of arms you have. Long legs for your height means size down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey thanks for the reply! I def have gorilla arms with normal length legs. I guess I'll have to measure my inseam. The megatrail has a pretty long reach so I'm thinking XL on the SB. Not really into 29ers so I'll stay away from the 5.5.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    XL 5.5c at Competitive- one left. You can run 27.5+ as a tuning choice or try one of the 2.6" tires coming out. Wide rims also help with wide tires.
    That's why they're selling out. Yeti was surprised too. But things progress. I'd ride or better yet demo one before buying something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    No love for the SB6 out there? I'm really not into 29 or 27.5+...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Do you plan on keeping your Mega Trail? If so I'd go shorter travel bike, SB5. And I would size up with the Yeti, they run short and tight. Why are you looking at the SB5, SB6? Lighter, racing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    No I'm selling it. Travel on the GG is 160mm and I use it all regularly. I would like a slightly lighter/better pedalling bike without having to change up the shock position every ride. Also, it's a couple years old and I want to upgrade before it's worthless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've always really liked Yeti, and they are winning a lot of enduro races. I read nothing but good things. Plus they are one of the best looking modern bikes I think. I used to love the Ibis Mojo HD but the HD3 has less travel and worse looks in my opinion. I'll let you guys know what I get once the GG sells. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Then in that case just go with your gut and what you like and pick up the SB6. Great bike and much lighter and better pedaling than most 150-160 travel bikes.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Yeti rides?! Wouldn't they buck you off and isn't it too cold over there to ride in the first place?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I would go SB5. I own both and even in the chunkiest environments, I can rip with the SB5. Here is the caveat - I run a DVO Diamond (160mm) fork and a DVO Topaz (piggyback) rear shock. My SB6 is great and if you choose it, you wont be upset. The good news, is that both are incredible. NOTE - I also own an SB4.5 which after i spent the time setting it up, can handle some pretty aggressive lines as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oh wow good to know thank you! I will most likely buy the lowest cost build they offer... I might price out one with the Diamond though see if I can swing it. I will be going up to Denver at the end of July to demo a few different Yeti's. I'll be sure to give the SB5 enough attention to make an informed decision. I do hear that the Yeti's feel like they have more travel then they do but I guess I need to ride them for myself.

Side note... Everyone is out of the SB6 carbon in XL. I'm hearing rumors that they will not be making more. I might have to wait for the 2018s to come out if I go that route. 😫

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've sen a few on Pinkbike (new) and Ebay. Not sure if you are looking for new from a shop, or just new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    If you haven't bought yet I can't recommend the Yeti SB5.5 anymore. I have a yeti SB5 Enduro which is essentially a cost effective SB5.5c. I have thrown just about every central AZ, Flagstaff, Prescott, etc. trail at it and not felt like my bike couldn't handle it. If you look at a lot of the less aggressive Enduros and even free time riding of the yeti racers they run 5.5c's with Fox 36 forks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm 6'1" ride a large, I think you would rather the L then the XL.
    Last edited by Leethal; 06-28-2017 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
    I'm 6'1" ride a large if I think you would rather the L then the XL.
    Yea I run a L and its a big freaking long bike.