Beer Drnkr w/bike problem

Yep! lost garmin.

Need your help, on Friday during the FoTP during the T-100 section the straps on my garmin broke and I lost it somewhere along the way. I have no idea where on the trail but it should be along the true route of trail 100. I didn't notice it missing till I got to 40th st. that's a lot of distance to search on my own. It's the Garmin 705, it's orange and will have the mounting bracket attached. nice reward (not cash as I have none but very nice bike related items) for anyone who may find it and return it to me. As painful as it will be I plan on riding T-100 tomorrow and give it a shot but my hopes are low at this point.
    Last edited by TacoBeer; 11-25-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    TacoBeer,

I will be riding out there tomorrow and will keep an eye out.

parenting for gnarness
    didnt realize that was you yserterday during the flight. sorry man, good luck finding it.

Kathleen in AZ
    I was one of the last on the trail during FoTP and did not spy it. I did, however, find a black sunglass case holding spare yellow lenses along T100 right after going under the 51. I set it on top of the trail marker post so hopefully the owner can find it.

As painful as it was I did ride the trail today looking for it but did not find it. I am sure someone found it and all I can do is hope they are honest enough to turn it over. I even checked with the visitor center and they looked through the lost & found there. thanks to everyone who looked anyways.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sorry TacoBeer. No luck on my ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Bummer... why does Garmin use such a wimpy rubber connector system? I've often worried about those bands snapping. My girlfriend found one while road riding and I was able to upload info and deduce where owner lived..and return it... hope you have the same luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry to hear about your Garmin being lost. I also hope someone honest attempts to locate you...

For those of you that have Garmin Edge 800 or 705 devices there is a way to have your name and phone number display during the start process. I display my name and phone number hoping someone will call if it is lost.

Here are the instructions I downloaded:

--------------

1. Connect the unit to your computer via USB.
    2. Navigate to the files on the internal memory (not the micro SD card, if you have one).
    3. Look for a file called startup.txt
    4. Open the file to edit it, in something like notepad. Whatever you type here will be displayed when the device boots up later.
    Depending on what mapping you’ve got installed, the boot up time can vary. Some people report that it boots up too quickly to read the startup text. Not to worry – you can also include a time delay, just alter the number in the line where it says
    5. Save the file, disconnect from the computer and turn the unit on. Shut it down, then reboot once more.
    You should see your custom startup message.

My other ride is your mom
    I use the included wrist strap that comes with the GPS to run a girth-hitch around my stem for when the mount breaks or I fail to get the GPS to click into the mount....it's saved me several losses already....to include once on this years FOTP.

Rhino
    I put a sexy stripper name and my phone number on my GPS. Much more likely to get a phone call to return GPS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I use the included wrist strap that comes with the GPS to run a girth-hitch around my stem for when the mount breaks or I fail to get the GPS to click into the mount....it's saved me several losses already....to include once on this years FOTP.
    I have a garmin 800 and it didn't come with a wrist strap. That's a great idea. Can you post up a pic?

Muchas Gracias!

Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl View Post
    I have a garmin 800 and it didn't come with a wrist strap. That's a great idea. Can you post up a pic?

Muchas Gracias!
    My mistake, it's a garmin 705 (I made the correction on the original post) mine didn't have the rubber straps, the mount had to be zip tied down. I change the zip ties about twice a year just to make sure it doesn't rot but it seems using the above idea as a back up would be good. Still not luck so it looks like i'm out some bucks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kf9yr View Post

Here are the instructions I downloaded:

--------------

1. Connect the unit to your computer via USB.
    2. Navigate to the files on the internal memory (not the micro SD card, if you have one).
    3. Look for a file called startup.txt
    4. Open the file to edit it, in something like notepad. Whatever you type here will be displayed when the device boots up later.
    Depending on what mapping you’ve got installed, the boot up time can vary. Some people report that it boots up too quickly to read the startup text. Not to worry – you can also include a time delay, just alter the number in the line where it says
    5. Save the file, disconnect from the computer and turn the unit on. Shut it down, then reboot once more.
    You should see your custom startup message.
    Where did you find the startup. txt?
    I have an edge 705 and couldn't find it anywhere.
    Thanks

My other ride is your mom
    I don't have a shot of my stem, but I do have a shot of my startup text:

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I don't have a shot of my stem, but I do have a shot of my startup text:

Nice! I was thinking you had one the edge series.

That explains why I couldn't find a wrist strap ...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    Where did you find the startup. txt?
    I have an edge 705 and couldn't find it anywhere.
    Thanks
    I think it only works on the 800 as I couldn't get it to work on my 705.

Sorry...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    First thing i plan on doing when i get the 900 when it comes out is to put a piece of tape on the lower bottom back--write name and phone number and$50 reward on there.. Then cover with a piece of clear racers tape.. Plus make some sort of leash.. Those computer holders just scream lose me... Hope the op finds his705..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kf9yr View Post
    I think it only works on the 800 as I couldn't get it to work on my 705.

Sorry...
    Yeah, that's what someone else said too.
    Oh well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    My mistake, it's a garmin 705 (I made the correction on the original post) mine didn't have the rubber straps, the mount had to be zip tied down. I change the zip ties about twice a year just to make sure it doesn't rot but it seems using the above idea as a back up would be good. Still not luck so it looks like i'm out some bucks.
    Did you call the ranger for the park up? Maybe someone turned it in.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Did you call the ranger for the park up? Maybe someone turned it in.
    I left them my info but no luck. I been holding off buying a new one hoping someone would be honest enough to turn it in. I've given up and looking for a new one, too bad they don't make the 705 anymore, it was perfect for me, I really don't like the idea of a touch screen (800) and the 500 doesn't have several of the function I want. I hate when company's change things because they think it's bigger, better or change just to change so they can advertise soemthing new, they should keep options open. Anyone selling a 705? Keep in mind I have the serial number of my lost one so don't try and sell it to me

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    There is one on e bay for $99

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey TB... Saw this in another thread and thought it might be something for you.. This guy picked up a new 800 on black Friday and is looking to sell his 705.. Hope this helps..

So, what did you buy on Black Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by canyondave View Post
    There is one on e bay for $99
    Thanks I found another one with the maping and bundle for the the same amount and put in a bid.
    THinking of hitting BCT this Saturday, lets ride it's been awhile.