How much further ???

yellow vs gorilla

So I am currently running a full UST setup on one bike and a full out ghetto on another bike. I did this because I purchased a complete bike and didnt want to rebuild a new wheel. So the current ghetto setup is a DT Swiss M480 rim with gorilla tape. It has worked pretty good so far but I have been running into issues lately. Seems the high temps in my garage are having a negative effect on the gorilla tape glue. Im on my third attempt to get the tape from smearing toward the center of the rim once I mount the tire and took the wheel and tape inside for a few hours to let them cool before reapplying.
    Ok to the point. So Im looking at the Flow EX's as a possibility for a good AM rim. I plan to run 2.4-2.5 tires sizes but I have my doubts about the yellow tape. I've read on another thread that someone needed to replace the yellow tape because they are losing air. Is the yellow tape better than the gorilla tape solution or am I going to have the same issues? I love my 819's but I want the wider rim so my only other option is an 823 which I know is considerably heavier which is why Im looking at the Flow EX's.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Having run both on a variety of different rims, my experiences with Stan's yellow tape are far superior to gorilla or any other variety of "ghetto" tape. Big fan of Flow rims, too. I have an older set I'd sell you really cheap or the non-ex Flow is on sale direct from Stan's.

My other ride is your mom
    The only problem you MIGHT run into with the Stans yellow tape is sticking....make sure you prep your rim and get it really clean (no oily residue from hands or whatnot). If this happens, it's really hard to get the yellow tape to stick sometimes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Follow the steps in the video that explain how to install yellow tape:

Help Center

I have had zero issues with yellow tape.

There are two drawbacks to gorilla tape that I am aware of:

1.) Gorilla tape is thicker and some applications make it harder to mount tires. *No personal experience with this -- I read about it in a different thread.

2.) Gorilla tape leaves a glue residue that is a royal pain in the ass to clean when/ if you need to replace the tape. I have experience with yellow tape and gorilla tape and I will only use yellow tape after dealing with the hassle involved to remove gorilla tape. Whether or not this will be a consideration for you will depend on how much you value your time.

jddist
    May 2008
    I have used both and Gorilla tape always had problems with shifting and leaving glue residue. Switched to Stan's yellow and will never go back to anything else. +1 for making sure you clean the rim real good prior to installing the Yellow tape. It is a real pain in the ass to get all the Gorilla tape gunk off but is a must do.

mtbr member
    I've had no issues with the stans tape (I always use a fine scotch-brite along with rubbing alcohol to clean the surface). Stans has an installation video on youtube that may be worth watching...

Gorilla tape leaves a nightmarish mess that is no fun at all to clean..the adhesive gets all gooey and smears all over, and the tape itself tends to dry out and get crusty (a recurring mountain bike theme I guess).

The yellow tape seems to peel off with virtually no mess. Not sure how it will be after years of use though, probably a moot point, since rims take a beating and get replaced after a couple years anyway.

I am currently running stans flows with 2.4 purgatories.So far = boolit proof..
    Check my pulse...

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo View Post
    I've had no issues with the stans tape (I always use a fine scotch-brite along with rubbing alcohol to clean the surface). Stans has an installation video on youtube that may be worth watching...

Gorilla tape leaves a nightmarish mess that is no fun at all to clean..the adhesive gets all gooey and smears all over, and the tape itself tends to dry out and get crusty (a recurring mountain bike theme I guess).

The yellow tape seems to peel off with virtually no mess. Not sure how it will be after years of use though, probably a moot point, since rims take a beating and get replaced after a couple years anyway.

I am currently running stans flows with 2.4 purgatories.So far = boolit proof..
    The smearing goo is exactly what is happening and I feel its exacerbated by the heat. Seems like the yellow tape is a much better choice. I just bought a couple Mavic UST valves today as using the old tube valves cut to size is ticking me off too. Guess I can try the yellow tape on my DT rims before I go with the Flow EX's. Thanks everyone for your input.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Dirt Bike Craig
    Hey Blatant...how much for those rims? Are they still in good shape?
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'll PM you later so as not to derail this thread

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    The only problem you MIGHT run into with the Stans yellow tape is sticking....make sure you prep your rim and get it really clean (no oily residue from hands or whatnot). If this happens, it's really hard to get the yellow tape to stick sometimes.
    I have the yellow tape and I have not had the experience of replacing it -- but when I was buying some Stans from a LBS a long time ago, they said that if I needed to replace tape to use rubbing alcohol to get the surface really clean first.