mtbr member

Yeah, I am still here...

Here's a little recap of my road trip thru Utah and Colorado.

Good stuff.

I started my trip off with a drive from PHX to SLC, for some mountain biking.

I knocked out 3 trail systems in 2 days. Trails were pretty primo. Gangi gave me a tour of the Draper Trail system, where we did a couple laps down Rush. That trail was a freaking blast.

Later that afternoon I drove 20 miles or so up to Bountiful and pedal up and down Mueller trail. I was a 7 miles up and 7 miles of pure fun on the way down. Hell, I even chased a moose off the trail. Neato.

Legs were tired, but day 2 took me to Park City, where I spent the day pedaling Armstrong,Mid Mountain and then up Pinecone (snow stopped me at 9,500 vf).

2 days of buff trails had me yearning for more, but my legs said the needed a rest, so I drove off to Moab. Not for riding, but for some paddling. Ya, see I had my kayak with me, and the Moab Daily Run (Colorado River) was on my to do list. Shoot it was a gnarly run, but plenty thrilling considering the riffles sponded some pretty big waves. Hell, it was flowing 8k CFS that day.

I didn't stay in Moab long, cuz I had to meet up with friend in Durango, CO for some more kayaking and biking.

Shoot Durango has it going on. You have the Animas River (flowing about 1,100ish CFS) and some might fine trails to ride.

Day 1 we did a run down the Animas, the next day, I hope on my bike and hit the trails near the condo, and then later that day I cheered on some of my peeps doing the Animas River Days competion at Smelter Rapid. Then the last day, I did the down river race on the Animas. I was doing pretty dang good until I got sucked in by the wave on Corner Pocket. Drat!

Anycown, here a couple vid's:

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Damn! Great stuff! That is one hell of a vacation.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Welcome back Sammay!! Great stuff as always!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

parenting for gnarness
    awesome sam!
    where was the dj park in Durango...off the river trail?

mtbr member
    thanks, doods!

Actually Chollaballz, it's the bmx track on river-right, just under 4 Corners (kayak shop).
    Supermoto was talking about a new pump track in Durango, but we didn't search it out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So awesome!
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

mtbr member
    Great trip report! Is Pinecone the trail recently built to access Wasatch Crest from the Park City side?

Welcome back to Dante's Inferno. I'll be it was hard to make that right turn out of Durango, cross the Animas and into the blazing hot desert.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo View Post
    thanks, doods!

Actually Chollaballz, it's the bmx track on river-right, just under 4 Corners (kayak shop).
    Supermoto was talking about a new pump track in Durango, but we didn't search it out.
    awesome. when Maad and I rode the river trail a few yrs ago, we had a lot of drunken fun following the trail and little urban trials - add in that jump park and that would be an awesome urban all-arounder.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Yep - Pinecone Ridge is the trail built just last Fall that connects Mid-Mountain Trail with Wasatch Crest. It's a great climb up, and probably one of the most fun downhills on the planet. Unfortunately since it gets so high in elevation, it stays covered in snow until late June.

When I told Sam to check it out, it was literally under 3' of snow towards the top (that was the 2nd weekend in June). I rode it last weekend, and again today...and there are still 2 HAB sections covered in snow!

Anyway, if you ever get to Park City, put Pinecone Ridge on your long-list of must-ride PC trails. It's that good.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Yeah, pinecone was nice, real nice. Was the spine, and pelvic bones still there on Pinecone (about 50 from Armstrong)?

I actually liked Mueller trail better than Pinecone, but then again, I didn't get to the top.

Rush was the most fun I had on a trail in a long time.

Tucson, AZ
    Shoot, I was getting worried that you were gone for good.

Great vacation.