mtbr member

Yankee Doodle in Prescott

Has anyone ridden it beyond Palace Station lately? I road a loop down from Union to Palace Station then back up Senator Hwy Friday on my AM and liked it in a sick way. I crashed quite a few times but the rocks are so loose they just slide out of your way. So Sunday I had the wife shuttle me and the big bike. I think I am going to start doing some maintenance in that area.

Elitest thrill junkie
    A lot in that area is fairly hopeless in terms of maint, the fall-line nature of yankee doodle creates rivers-of-loose-rock that don't really lend themselves to riding. There are some fun chutes/tech rock sections on Yankee Doodle, but you have to be into a certain kind of pain (as you know, and I have also experienced) to do it. I've tried to organize some rides to do something similer, but the riders have sometimes bonked/got disinterested on the ride. You can do a big loop by starting down at Palace Station, riding up Senator Highway a little ways to trail 381, then taking that to the top of the ridge, then 281 down (a bit crazy-eroded at the top, but better at the bottom, with some stuff in the pictures). Keep on 281, which goes right and then starts climbing. I've done this trail in both ways, and it's kind of fun. Not nearly the mess that Yankee Doodle is in terms of loose stuff, but not a lot of people come out here so expect trees down and such. Anyhow, take fire-roads to head out to Mt Union, then down Yankee Doodle to where you parked your car at Palace Station. It's different, but you are WAY out there and need to take supplies/do it with other people so that you aren't putting yourself into a bad situation.

It's not as technical, but riding down 260 is a bit more logistical, then there's always 264, which I've warmed up to a lot recently. The surface is more solid compared to 260, (and way less loose than 284, yankee doodle). There's are a few little technical things hiding out in a few places, but I'm not sure that yankee doodle is worth it. I'll do a ride out there every once and a while. There is a lot of potential and there could be some amazing trails given the terrain and high country-stuff back there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jayem; 11-24-2008 at 08:55 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Very cool, thanks for the beta! I think I will head that direction again this weekend if the weather continues to hold. I really enjoy not having to worry about rodeoing some old woman because I spooked her horse.

mtbr member
    I've ridden that area on motos. I don't remember all the trail names and numbers but I can connect you with a guy who knows the area really well. Yankee D is really well known with the trail riders of Arizona. I remember going up and back down trail 109/119/117 something like that (don't remember its number). About 5 miles east of YD. Its in a granite section of the Bradshaws and going down it on a bike would be pretty exciting. But once down, its a long pedal out. Imagine starting from the top of the Bradshaws and riding to Mayer. Its pretty remote, and you would need a good plan logistically speaking. When we ride motos, we end up doing about 30-50 miles on jeep roads and singletrack, staging from Mayer, going up, riding trails like YD, and returning. And I thought that other places were rocky. This area is really rocky.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    I have been considering a moto for awhile. I would like to use it to pre-run the trails in the nether regions before I start pedaling off into the unknown. Please PM me with any knowledgeable people's contact info. I would appreciate that.
    I have been hiking out Poland road near Mayer to place called Grapevine. I might be able to link up with the top of that. So many great adventures to be had in the Bradshaws.